What apps are really not available

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
What apps are really not available for the surface 2?

I am missing a D-Link app for my child's webcam/monitor (I am using an aftermarket app, but it is a pain requiring port forwarding...the D-Link web portal uses a Java plugin so it is a no-go through IE11), my bank (USAA, but the website actually works fine...I do have to use mobile.usaa.com to deposit checks from home so that is a pain), Sketchbook Pro (and really all Autodesk mobile apps...they have a web portal at 360.autodesk.com that seems to work, but I cannot actually view/edit drawing files using AutoCAD; other web-based apps like Pixlr-o-matic and Pixlr express work, but it would be better to have an actual app), and various streaming sites (DirectTV being the biggest one that I miss). Watch ESPN does not have an app but works OK through web. Big 10 Network does not have an app but works OK through the web. CNN Live does not have an app but works OK through the web. For some reason, FOX News Live does not work through the web and doesn't have an app.

Here is my gripe. A lot of missing apps probably have comparable web-based tools (e.g., some of the Autodesk creation apps), but I would like to be able to use them without relying on a "fast" web connection. Sure, I usually have some sort of web connection, but it isn't always sufficient to have a good experience in a given web-based app...I still love my Surface 2, though :)

Flaminchiten

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, this is exactly what I was looking for. I am on the fence between the surface 2 and an android based tablet, I much prefer the OS style of windows but fear that some apps will not be there, especially with wanting to automate much of my home (thermostat, lights etc...)

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, this is exactly what I was looking for. I am on the fence between the surface 2 and an android based tablet, I much prefer the OS style of windows but fear that some apps will not be there, especially with wanting to automate much of my home (thermostat, lights etc...)
FYI, my security system is powered by alarm.com. They have a really nice app for Windows Phone, and their website appears to work well in IE11. They also have a mobile website so I am guessing that even if the full site didn't work properly I could use that. I haven't use anything beyond the security feature, but the alarm.com website has sections for full home automation including lighting and thermostat.

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
One other thing, since the Surface 2 is not LTE (cellular) enabled I find it more useful to have home automation type functionality on my phone. Again, Windows Phone seems to be well-supported (though I have no experience with other mobile OS's for this purpose...they could have some super special functions enabled). I guess if you are on the couch and feel to hot/cold, you could use your surface to change the temperature :)

Flaminchiten

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
One other thing, since the Surface 2 is not LTE (cellular) enabled I find it more useful to have home automation type functionality on my phone. Again, Windows Phone seems to be well-supported (though I have no experience with other mobile OS's for this purpose...they could have some super special functions enabled). I guess if you are on the couch and feel to hot/cold, you could use your surface to change the temperature :)

It's more for when I am not home and my wife has the temperature cranked up ;)

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I can't remember what it is called, but I know windows phone has the same app as android in controlling your thermostat when away from home. I know this because some android boob was showing everyone how cool this app was and I found the same exact one in my Windows phone app store. besides, I think having those type apps on a phone is way more convenient then a surface.

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
For me, I would like a MyFitnessPal app although the website works fine.

And some games that I would like (I'm specifically thinking "The Walking Dead" game from Telltale, which is on just about EVERY platform except for the Windows Store).

I think most of the apps that I have and regularly use on my iPad have comparable apps in the Windows Store.

Also, I would love if there was some built in podcast integration in the Xbox Music and Video apps like there is on Windows Phone, but there still isn't, unfortunately.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
The one app I really miss, and it isn't an "app", is Windows Photo Gallery. There are a lot of photo viewing and editing apps but I have not found one that helps organize photos with tags. I have thousands of photos and all of them are edited, tagged and put into sets before being uploaded to Flickr. I can edit tags manually through the desktop but it would be nice to have an app which can edit and organize, like Photo Gallery. Being able to edit tags is just one reason why I don't want the desktop to go away.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft are actually planning to make their version of siri capable of controlling home automation systems so you speak to it and say 'turn the thermostat down by 2 degrees' and it will do it all for you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa