11-19-2013 09:36 PM
34 12
tools
    So far, the honey moon is not over yet for me and my Surface 2.
    10-28-2013 09:42 AM
    Things are definitely NOT looking good.

Bought another Surface today from a German store (Cyberport), and this unit also has the weird screen issue. And again it happened for the first time while installing updates, so I suspect it's firmware-related.

So far 2 units, one from Microsoft Store UK and another from Cyberport Germany. Both will return :-(

surfacecrash.jpg
    10-28-2013 09:49 AM
    I did a refresh (kept my files/apps) and it didn't happen all day yesterday when it was happening at least a couple times a day before that. Here's hoping....

Things are definitely NOT looking good.

Bought another Surface today from a German store (Cyberport), and this unit also has the weird screen issue. And again it happened for the first time while installing updates, so I suspect it's firmware-related.

So far 2 units, one from Microsoft Store UK and another from Cyberport Germany. Both will return :-(

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	surfacecrash.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	730.0 KB 
ID:	48095
    10-28-2013 12:24 PM
    Just confirmed now, this is firmware / software related.

Went back to the store, exchanged for a new one and disabled Windows Update on it. I asked the attendant to make a quick test: we ran Windows Update on the display demo machine inside the store, and guess what? Screen went nuts while "applying" the updates, and after restarting the system froze after 5 minutes of random usage.

I have absolutely no idea which update is causing this, but I would guess it's the firmware update from 22 October because once it gets applied even after resetting the Surface to factory default it will crash. Firmware updates are never reverted even when you reset your system.

My 3rd Surface is running fine (Windows Updates still disabled) after 6h of heavy usage.
    10-28-2013 04:45 PM
    Hmmm, after refreshing my Surface 2 it hasn't crashed anymore (almost 2 days now). I notice I only have 2 updates applied on my system (KB2895219, KB2883295). The firmware update is not anymore and shows as a pending update in Windows Update. However, my system was freezing with that garbled screen before I applied any updates. I applied the firmware and software updates hoping they would fix the issue, so not sure what went on there. I'm not scared to install the firmware or any other pending updates, and I see several pending right now.
    10-28-2013 05:00 PM
    Not really a problem, but I noticed windows giving me a "the display driver has stopped responding" message after a while into sleep for more then 15 minutes. this *only* happens with the touch cover (first generation).
    Probably gets an update at some point. Just disabled the Host services message for now, not a big deal.
    10-29-2013 01:24 AM
    I did a refresh (kept my files/apps) and it didn't happen all day yesterday when it was happening at least a couple times a day before that. Here's hoping....
    Well, these freezes kept happening, so I took it back to Best Buy. I didn't know their return policy was 15 days instead of 30 days, so they told me I'm out of luck with them. I took it to the Microsoft Store with low expectations on service. I told the tech that I did a clean refresh and that it would still randomly freeze. He didn't even look at it and immediately offered to exchange it for a new unit. I was floored since that's a response I'd expect from Apple, not Microsoft. Kudos to Phillip from the San Jos Valley Fair mall store! That service went a long way with me and renewed my faith in Microsoft.

Side note, I pre-ordered a yellow Lumina 1520 while I was there.
    HeyCori and Dos101 like this.
    11-18-2013 06:05 PM
    For those of you whose Surface 2's have been suffering from the display crash issue, there is good news! A Microsoft moderator finally posted the following response on the Microsoft Community "Surface 2 Display Crash" thread:

"There is a graphics issue on Surface 2 that is impacting a very limited number of users. We are happy to report that a fix will be delivered thru Windows Update on December 10th. In the meantime, if you encounter an issue with incorrect images on your display on Surface 2, then restarting your device should relieve the issue temporarily prior to the permanent fix provided via the December update. If the issue persists, you can contact Surface Support to exchange your Surface."

So looks like a fix is coming on December 10th. Sadly, I had already returned my Surface 2 (the third one I had with the display crash issue) before I saw this post. Will be eager to see if this update solves the problem. If it does, then I'll probably go buy another one.

Here's a link to the Microsoft Community thread:
    surface 2 display crash - Microsoft Community
    HeyCori and Saurabh3321 like this.
    11-19-2013 07:04 PM
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.
    11-19-2013 09:36 PM
34 12