Display Surface over Surface 2

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Today i almost bought Surface RT gen 1 cause of the price drop but, i saw side by with Surface RT 2.
I wanted to know from some one that had SRF1 and now have SRF2 if the display quality is really a huge difence... I think it is, but i saw it in a store, so i was limited to test with Video and some apps

Thanks

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Idk people are always saying the original surface had a mediocre display but I have the original and in all honesty the rt has a solid display

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd take the S2 over the S1 because of the better processor before I'd worry about the screen. I find the display on the S1 to be pretty nice.

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been watching some youtube reviews and i'm pretty confused right now...
The difrence between both is not that much.... It's like 140 euros

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've been watching some youtube reviews and i'm pretty confused right now...
The difrence between both is not that much.... It's like 140 euros
In my opinion, the only reason to buy a Surface RT (instead of a Surface 2) would be if you could get one on a blow-out price. Here in the 'States, Microsoft was selling (through an intermediate seller) manufacturer refurbed 32GB Surface RT w/TouchCover bundle for $199. That was a tremendous deal.

If no such deal is available to you, then the additional cost for the 2 is worth it in my opinion.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Surface 1 has an ok display, I would worry if it had 1280 resolution. Most mid-range laptops that are 13" and up have 1366 display, for a 10"er it isn't bad. They're the same in terms of functionality given that they have both RT, only the S2 is faster, but that does not mean the S1 is a bad choice.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Surface 1 and a Surface 2 right in front of me, you will not notice a huge difference. Both are incredible! Andbody who says the difference will blow you away is a liar. The only way the Surface 2 will be a HUGE difference is browsing the web, text is a bit clearer but for videos you will hardly notice.

The big difference though is not the screens but the processor. The Surface 2 is WAY faster than the previous and that alone is worth the upgrade!

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The difference if definitely there, but it's not the kind of thing that is hugely visible at a glance if you have them side by side. The display on the RT is by no means bad and it holds up well to the one on Surface 2... However in day to day usage the improvement in overall clarity is appreciated. It's one of those little details that you don't really think about but it actually does make a difference in real world use.

If you have the cash to drop on Surface 2, I'd say it's worth it. It's really case of a number of little things adding up to a noticeably better experience overall. Plus you are paying for something that won't feel completely obsolete quite as quickly, which is worth a premium on its own really.

lokiduck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly get the surface 2. its a night and day difference. Being an owner of the original surface rt, the thing will cause so many frustrations that will make you not want to use. Since getting the surface 2 I cant stop using it. As far as the screen goes, its one of the best out there. Going with the original surface is something I cant recommend. Hopefully my advice helps you in making the right decision for yourself.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree that the main reason to get a surface 2 vs surface 1 is the speed of the processor. That makes surface 2 a much more pleasant experience for me. The difference between the screens isn't really that noticeable.

malberti1993

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
The difference between the screans IS QUITE noticeable. When you game on it, when you watch 1080p videos. When you READ textbooks on it. It helps. I owned the surface 1 and the screen was okay.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Folks who have both, does the 2 have better colors?

My Surface 1 makes my Acer S3 look like **** at the same resolution.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Folks who have both, does the 2 have better colors?

My Surface 1 makes my Acer S3 look like **** at the same resolution.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk
I have both, and if you put them side by side they do look very close, however Surface 2 does have visibly better color reproduction. It's not night and day or anything, but colors do look richer and more natural on surface 2.

michaelreid722

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed how only some of the stock live tiles seem to be optimized for the new screen, no matter the size of the tile? The IE, Store, Clock, SkyDrive, and Calculator icons all look pretty sharp while the People, Mail, Music, News, Skype and more are blurry? I find this very bizarre..

michaelreid722

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Just loaded up my start screen (now two days later) and noticed that the icons mentioned above now seem optimized for the Surface 2's display.... no more fuzzy edges. How bizarre! Did this happen to anyone else?

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Just loaded up my start screen (now two days later) and noticed that the icons mentioned above now seem optimized for the Surface 2's display.... no more fuzzy edges. How bizarre! Did this happen to anyone else?
I actually have the setting on to "show more tiles" so that individual tiles are a bit smaller. I would think that makes them look sharper at the smaller size even if they aren't optimized...but maybe not.

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Oh and never trust a side-by-side comparison at the store; they always jack up the brightness and contrast and put on the vivid setting 'cuz people seem to like that better...oh wait...that's just for TVs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa