Surface 2 Overheating

Joey Ganassa

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface 2 and it has been great all week long.... until I tried to play Halo: Spartan Assault. The game runs great but it overheats my Surface. The back gets REALLY hot (which doesn't bother me) and then the screen automatically dims to the lowest level. At this point is unplayable. I basically have to wait until it cools down to start playing the game again. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm hoping its just a problem with my machine and I an exchange it. Please help!

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My son had his Surface 2 do this once. He was playing a game (I can't remember which one) while he was downloading and installing a bunch of other apps. And I think it was also doing some maintenance in the background. I have not had mine overheat at all yet. I also don't think he has ever seen this happen while just playing a game (without other stuff running in the background).

I guess it is a bit concerning that some apps could potentially cause the Surface 2 to overheat. I wonder if this becomes a problem, if it can be resolved with software updates that will lower clock speeds to reduce heat. Having the screen dim is a pretty dumb way to handle increasing temps.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have played Halo for about 2 hours on my Surface, and it does get hot but doesn't dim so I can still play.

You may want to change the power settings before you return.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Pasquale Scionti

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
hello i have the same issue with Halo spartan and other games after playing for about 10 min screen becomes dim and very dark, all power settings ok and auto brightness is off.
It becomes hot on back , when i close game dimm and screen return normal brightness.
Please let me know how you solved this issue or else i will return my surface 2 and get a new one.

Aenil

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
@pasquale: non sono l'unico italiano allora :D

Anyway my surface have this problem too, and after i try 3d Mark bench, the screen show some glitch like a flash, next week i change my model whit another surface.

Pasquale Scionti

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello :)
I solved issue ....i performed a clean reset.
I notice that playing halo now screen is no more dim and dark i played at least 30 min without issue and notice even that it does not overheat much.
I think the problem is updating the firmware for surface 2 of 22/10/2013 gives this issue.
If someone could confirm this thanks :)

Pasquale Scionti

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Do not install updates windows KB2883200 or surface firmware.
Seems that one of these 2 updates cause issue that we have of playing halo and screen goes dim .....i test it updating and installing all the rest of WUpdate and it works without issue

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Do not install updates windows KB2883200 or surface firmware.
Seems that one of these 2 updates cause issue that we have of playing halo and screen goes dim .....i test it updating and installing all the rest of WUpdate and it works without issue

Thanks! My Surface 2 was dimming itself while just idling and it drove me crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6