Surface 2 USB 3.0 dock(ing solutions)

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey dear Surface friends ;)

I am going to buy the Surface 2 during the next weeks and wanted to ask you all a question bothering me:

I want the Surface 2 over the first generation because of the USB 3.0 port (and of course some other nice new things like the full hd screen and so on...) and wanted to do this:

I would use my Surface 2 (not the Pro 2 !) as a surfing, blog reading (mainly consumption) and also Microsoft Office device at home. For that I would love to use one of the USB 3.0 docking stations available on amazon and co. I wanted to use an extra monitor, keyboard, mouse, some usb-drives and also a LAN-connection (connected through the USB 3.0 docking station) with my Surface. (edit: I need the Surface as a mobile device as well. So I wanted to give my laptop to a friend and use the Surface only. At home and outside)

My question would be: is that possible? Do I need drivers for the docking station which might not work because of Windows 8 RT?

Here is a video showing the Surface Pro (1) using one of those docking stations:

Thanks a lot in advance!

ps: I know that I can use the adapter for connecting to a monitor, but that way I would not have the LAN-cable, usb-drives and other connections...

Javichu1984

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for the same. I bought the Surface 2 Yesterday, and at work I had the Lenovo USB 3.0 Docking, so I will try on Wednesday when I receive the protective cover for the Surface 2.

I suspect that as there are no drivers for Windows RT it won't work... :S

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft did add in support for Ethernet adapters in 8.1. Theoretically a docking stations sounds doable but I don't think anyone here has tried it. I use a microHDMI to connect to my monitor and I have a USB hub. That usually does the trick for me.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

Microsoft did add in support for Ethernet adapters in 8.1. Theoretically a docking stations sounds doable but I don't think anyone here has tried it. I use a microHDMI to connect to my monitor and I have a USB hub. That usually does the trick for me.

Yeah, I guess the microHDMI + USB hub solution is gonna work for me. But I would really love to have all the connectors in one device... so let's hope the driver package works for at least one docking station :D

I'm looking for the same. I bought the Surface 2 Yesterday, and at work I had the Lenovo USB 3.0 Docking, so I will try on Wednesday when I receive the protective cover for the Surface 2.

I suspect that as there are no drivers for Windows RT it won't work... :S

I can't wait for your news on wednesday, Javichu!

Would be a shame if the USB 3.0 port could not be used for the powerful usb docks :(

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Only problem is: even the cheapest USB 3.0 Hub with only 3 ports costs around $30. If you need more ports then the expense goes up. And then you still need a micro-HDMI cable. A cheap one isn't always that good in terms of output so you'll probably want a better one. That's another $25. All in all, if you need more than a 3 port 3.0 Hub, that's quite a steep price you're paying. A cheap dock costs just a tiny bit more (and the official MS one will cost not even $100 more).

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know that Windows Update has Displaylink software built-in. If you connect any displaylink docking station into a Windows 7 or 8 system, it just automatically installs the drivers and software. I don't know if the Surface 2 would have the same capability.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Only problem is: even the cheapest USB 3.0 Hub with only 3 ports costs around $30. If you need more ports then the expense goes up. And then you still need a micro-HDMI cable. A cheap one isn't always that good in terms of output so you'll probably want a better one. That's another $25. All in all, if you need more than a 3 port 3.0 Hub, that's quite a steep price you're paying. A cheap dock costs just a tiny bit more (and the official MS one will cost not even $100 more).

Well the Surface 2 docking station only works with Surface 2 Pro... so I can not use it... and besides: it costs 199$, doesn't it?

USB 3.0 docking stations (not from Microsoft) cost about 100-150€ here in Germany, so there is quite a price difference between the usb-hub + hdmi-adapter and the usb 3.0 docking station solutions. The thing is that I would love to have just one cable connecting to all my devices. If the docking station does not work with the Surface because of missing drivers I will buy a hub and an adapter and I guess be happy besides the fact that I have to plug in more cables :D

Javichu1984

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
It would be imposible until Monday to try, but on Monday I promise yoy'll have an answer... My suspect is that it will work only as USB 3.0 replicator, and maybe Ethernet, as is native in Windows 8.1 RT, but the DisplayLink adapter... Well maybe we got surprised :)

I will post results as son as posible.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
It would be imposible until Monday to try, but on Monday I promise yoy'll have an answer... My suspect is that it will work only as USB 3.0 replicator, and maybe Ethernet, as is native in Windows 8.1 RT, but the DisplayLink adapter... Well maybe we got surprised :)

I will post results as son as posible.

Haha :D
No worries Javichu :D Monday it is! :D

(I think your prediction is going to be true :( Although I do really hope MS will change the USB 3.0 situation by putting some more drivers in their driver package... USB 3.0 is awesome, but would be much more awesome if we could actually use it the way it is meant to be used :D So let's hope....and wait till monday :D )

Javichu1984

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Sadly I've tryed it today and it DON'T work at all. Neither Ethernet or USB hub or DisplayLink.... It appears on the Devices admin, but it says there are no drivers available... :(.

The manufacturers should provide RT drivers for that...

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for testing it Javinchu! Of course it is very sad to know the USB port can not be fully used (yet) but still it's better than buying a dock and not being able to use it afterwards... :)

So thanks and let us hope the manufacturers will provide the drivers some day... One question though: how does the drivers policy from MS (for Win8 RT) work? Are manufacturers allowed to create own drivers or do they have to use the ones provided from MS for their own use?

Jake52

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Sadly I've tryed it today and it DON'T work at all. Neither Ethernet or USB hub or DisplayLink

That really stinks. I just got a Surface Pro 2 so these USB 3.0 docks will work for my device but I was hoping to get a Surface 2 for my wife. It would be nice to have one dock set up in our office room that we could both use but sounds like I'll have to think of a different solution. It would be nice for the dock to at least work as a USB hub, hopefully they'll release some drivers for it soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention