Anyone else just have an update needing a Bitlocker Recovery Key?

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping the latest update was a driver fix for audio, but was presented with a bitlocker recovery along the way. Guess we have Bitlocker now? Cool.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
The bitlocker recovery key was needed when my son did the update today on his Surface 2. But the update on my Surface 2 did not require a key. I assume something failed during his update. When I got his key online, it booted normally and I had to re-apply the update.

All seems normal now, so I hope everything is ok.

dancfuller

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Also happened to me yesterday on my Surface 2. Pain in the rear, especially because it said it's going into "bitlocker recovery mode" which made me think it crashed and was going to refresh/reset(?) the device from the recovery partition.

Edit: to clarify, it did NOT refresh or reset. Everything was fine after I typed in the bitlocker key.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Starting to think that if you have Bitlocker on one device it enforces it on others. Or perhaps it is a corporate or other email account security policy?

Anyone's desktop have bitlocker and not get the code requirement? Regardless, everything running fine after a brief inconvenience...

stewpeanut

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
last night the battery on my surface 2 died while watching netflix. today upon start up it requested a bitlocker key. once the key was entered i got a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area error and it froze.
rebooting seemed to work, though it had manged to rack up over 2GB of dump files which take forever for disk cleanup to get rid of. if things begin to act funky i'll do a reset and if that doesn't help will return/exchange the unit

Eric Denekamp

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My wife just had this, I am traveling and this annoyed me< I did not set up Bitlocker, so I do not have a key for this, and I do not think my wife has the skill to fix this...
Does anybody have a clue on how to get this key?

Infinicat

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The BitLocker password is backed up to SkyDrive when you first set up your Surface 2. You can find it at <https://skydrive.live.com/recoverykey>.

hellboarder

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My wife had the same issue and was NOT impressed! Going to the website windows.microsoft.com/recoverykey I was able to retrieve the key but not being able to tell my wife why this had happened left her with a sour feeling - Happy wife, happy life! (You know what I am saying ;) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas