Hello folks,
    For the past couple of months I have been researching diligently for a new tablet. My current tablet is the Blackberry Playbook, but my eyes want a bigger tablet. I have narrowed it down to the N10 and Surface 2 for a variety of reasons that I won't get in to. Let's just say I don't need suggestions to get an iPad, Asus Transformer, or whatever other tablet that might be suggested. It's the N10 or the Surface 2. I know the N10 2013 isn't out yet, but it will be at least as good as the current, but more than likely a bit more powerful. So here's how my thinking goes, along with a few questions:

1.The N10 screen. I have seen it and it's AWESOME. I have not seen the Surface 2 screen, but hear that even though it has a lower ppi, it's still a great screen. So I can't pick a winner there as I have not seen the Surface screen.
    2. I need to run Citrix Receiver. Can either of these do it?
    3. I need to be able to edit Office documents. I know I can do this on the Surface, but is there a good (decent) android app for that as well. I'm assuming there is.
    4. I keep reading about "android issues" with regard to the N10 (rebooting, lagging, wi-fi, etc). I realize that this may not be the majority of users experiencing this, so I don't know how much I should be concerned.
    5. Video: I like to watch a movie every now and then. Don't care about sound as I use headphones. Which tablet plays the greatest variety of formats (if I need an app I'll get an app).
    6. I'm not a gamer, but who's to say that I might not want to give it a shot. I don't care about the number of games available as I know Android blows Windows out of the water there. But I'm also certain that Windows will have a suitable selection for me to try.
    7. I don't care about app selection. If I did I'd go Apple.
    8. My main use will be web browsing, email, a little bit of facebook, a bit of twitter, and skype. Don't care about instagram.
    9. I work with computers all day long, and when I relax at night I want a trouble-free experience. I have read about some lagging on both Surface and Nexus 10, some freezing on Surface, some reboots on N10. Of the current N10 and the Surface 2, which should be the most trouble-free.
    10. I like the expandability of the Surface (MicroSD) but am also aware that there's a workaround for the N10. I use Cloud storage so I'm not overly concerned. However Remote Desktop is available on Surface I believe?? How about N10. That is a feature I would certainly make use of.

So, any comments? I need to get my order into Santa ASAP I'm told. I know a lot of the answers you can give will have to be based on the current N10 as the new one hasn't been released. But when it is, if it has the rumored 3 GB RAM, and the Snapdragon 800 processor, then I am thinking I will jump all over it. Would that be wise?

Either way, if the N10 isn't released in the next week (or at least details), my mind will have been made up. I will be getting the Surface. I am the type that suffers terribly from Buyer's Remorse!!

I realize this is a Windows forum so I've posted in the Android forum as well.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

GC
    10-31-2013 07:08 AM
    Well, I have both the current N10 and the Surface 2. I find both quite good actually, but I use them for different things.

For example, I would rather watch movies on the N10. OTOH, as Office is native to the Surface2, that is what I use all the time. I have tried a few of the Office variants on the N10, but I did not feel at ease with them. Don't have any idea about Citrix Receiver. I have not faced any issues with either lagging or hanging with either the N10 or the Surface2. When I used to use the Surface RT (i.e., the 1st Gen), it was a bit slow but that was because of the T3 SoC. I do like the fact that the Surface 2 has the expandability option by default (MicroSD card). I am aware of how to use external storage with the N10, But never bothered with it. I really appreciate the way SkyDrive is baked into Win 8.1RT and the Surface 2. I use SkyDrive heavily, so that is a plus point for me. I don't use Google Drive/ Docs (don't like the interface and the compromises). I don't game, so I can't comment on that. But, as you mentioned, it is likely that Google's Play Store will have a lot more to offer than the MS Store at the moment.

The reason I have the N10 is because I need to replace an Acer A500 that I had prior to that and at that time there was no Surface. I got the Surface because (1) I wanted to avoid carrying a heavy laptop (and anyways, my laptop broke) and still have the advantage of having Office; (2) I wanted as seamless as possible an integration with my desktop machine (which the Surface enables me to have); (3) I still think that the N10 is a superior media consumption tablet. But the Surface is a much better productive tablet - meaning you can get more work done with it. And, remember that I am just referring to the Surface 2 and not the Pro. Personally, I would not opt for the Pro because if I wanted a powerful laptop, I would probably get the ThinkPad Carbon!

Having said this, I should also add that I have not really tested the media capabilities of the Surface to the extent that I should - after all, I have had it for less than a week! (though I did have the 1st Gen version for over 9 months or so). I think much of this media-related stuff would change as soon as VLC successfully ports itself over to ARM - something that I believe is in the offing.

To bottom-line it then, for you there are mainly two things to do - (1) Check whether that Citrix thing is available in either or both platforms; and, (2) think through carefully where the primary thrust of your requirements lie.

Happy choosing!
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    10-31-2013 08:17 AM
    Hello folks,
    For the past couple of months I have been researching diligently for a new tablet. My current tablet is the Blackberry Playbook, but my eyes want a bigger tablet. I have narrowed it down to the N10 and Surface 2 for a variety of reasons that I won't get in to. Let's just say I don't need suggestions to get an iPad, Asus Transformer, or whatever other tablet that might be suggested. It's the N10 or the Surface 2. I know the N10 2013 isn't out yet, but it will be at least as good as the current, but more than likely a bit more powerful. So here's how my thinking goes, along with a few questions:

1.The N10 screen. I have seen it and it's AWESOME. I have not seen the Surface 2 screen, but hear that even though it has a lower ppi, it's still a great screen. So I can't pick a winner there as I have not seen the Surface screen.
    2. I need to run Citrix Receiver. Can either of these do it?
    3. I need to be able to edit Office documents. I know I can do this on the Surface, but is there a good (decent) android app for that as well. I'm assuming there is.
    4. I keep reading about "android issues" with regard to the N10 (rebooting, lagging, wi-fi, etc). I realize that this may not be the majority of users experiencing this, so I don't know how much I should be concerned.
    5. Video: I like to watch a movie every now and then. Don't care about sound as I use headphones. Which tablet plays the greatest variety of formats (if I need an app I'll get an app).
    6. I'm not a gamer, but who's to say that I might not want to give it a shot. I don't care about the number of games available as I know Android blows Windows out of the water there. But I'm also certain that Windows will have a suitable selection for me to try.
    7. I don't care about app selection. If I did I'd go Apple.
    8. My main use will be web browsing, email, a little bit of facebook, a bit of twitter, and skype. Don't care about instagram.
    9. I work with computers all day long, and when I relax at night I want a trouble-free experience. I have read about some lagging on both Surface and Nexus 10, some freezing on Surface, some reboots on N10. Of the current N10 and the Surface 2, which should be the most trouble-free.
    10. I like the expandability of the Surface (MicroSD) but am also aware that there's a workaround for the N10. I use Cloud storage so I'm not overly concerned. However Remote Desktop is available on Surface I believe?? How about N10. That is a feature I would certainly make use of.

So, any comments? I need to get my order into Santa ASAP I'm told. I know a lot of the answers you can give will have to be based on the current N10 as the new one hasn't been released. But when it is, if it has the rumored 3 GB RAM, and the Snapdragon 800 processor, then I am thinking I will jump all over it. Would that be wise?

Either way, if the N10 isn't released in the next week (or at least details), my mind will have been made up. I will be getting the Surface. I am the type that suffers terribly from Buyer's Remorse!!

I realize this is a Windows forum so I've posted in the Android forum as well.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

GC
    Here are my thoughts (coming from someone who owns 3 Android tablets, 2 iPads, and a Surface RT)

1. Don't fall for the PPI war propaganda. Manufacturers are always looking for ways to hook consumers into becoming discontent with their current devices and to persuade those in the market for a device to buy theirs (that happens to excel in some particular spec). The Surface RT has a lower PPI than "retina" displays of other manufacturers and yet text looks just as good (IMO) on the Surface due to Microsoft's decision to include ClearType in WinRT. If possible, examine each device you are interested in and see what is appealing to YOU.

2. No idea.

3. It all depends upon the complexity of the files that you will be working with. Office files that contain advanced constructs or take advantage of advanced features will probably not render well (if at all) in even the best Android office app. Aesthetically, the Android office apps are pretty hard to look at... like a throwback to the '80s. Some may suggest a cloud-based solution, that might work provided that you can guarantee internet access when you need to edit the files.

4. Every Android device that I've ever owned and still own (the current Jelly Bean and going back to the first Android device, the G1) has suffered from performance issues and poor battery life.

5. It comes down to the apps. Android tablets have a wider variety of quality apps for video playback than the Surface. That might improve, but until it does, if it does, it is quite irritating to deal with the lack of playback options on the Surface.

6. There are very few decent games for the WinRT. It is possible to use an XBox controller with the Surface. I'm not much of a gamer myself but I am tempted to try that out.

7. You say that you don't care about app selection... but you should care. With the connectivity options available on the RT: microSD, microHDMI, full USB, full printing subsystem, you will be more inclined to want to do some serious work or content creation with the Surface. There are still many holes in the app offerings for WinRT. In those cases where an app DOES exist, they are often very rudimentary. The app "situation" is THE reason why I can't solely rely on the Surface for my tablet needs.

8. This is where the Surface shines over every other tablet. Period. The desktop version of IE on the Surface can render the full version of a webpage. Surface users have the option of accessing full versions of sites like GMail and Facebook (or using their slimmed down mobile, appified version)

9. I too work with computers all day. Honestly, for the most trouble-free pick-it-up-and-guarantee-to-use-it experience would be with the iPad. But since the iPad is not in consideration, I would recommend the Surface RT over the Nexus 10.

10. Forget about the kludgey workarounds to get stuff attached to the Nexus. I've dealt with those workarounds for Android tablets and iPads (see #9) and they're a hassle and not very portable (honestly who wants to travel around with dongles and cables and adapters in the 21st century?) With the Surface things just work.

The Surface is the only tablet on the market that, in my opinion, can genuinely be used as a tablet (though the 16:9 aspect ratio is a bit funky) AND a netbook. Seriously, a Surface RT/2 with a TypeCover2 is an amazing combination.

Just my thoughts, hope this helps.
    Christian Kallevig likes this.
    10-31-2013 08:41 AM
    ....... hope this helps.
    It certainly does help!! Guys, I thank you so much for these comments. You have not crapped all over either device, and you have not tried to shove one down my throat, or push me to another device. This is GREAT STUFF.

One question for you both...If you could have only ONE of these which would it be (assuming the N10 2 will have Snapdragon 800 and 3 GB RAM.)

(I have since heard that Citrix will run on Surface 2...i haven't confirmd that, but heard it does)
    10-31-2013 09:05 AM
    My thoughts....

1. Screen quality. Both will be great. I wouldn't worry too much about making this a deciding factor.
    2. Citrix provides apps for this on Android. Now, how good it is is up to you.
    3. The Surface wins here. On the Surface 2 Office feels a lot like being on a regular computer. This is hard to beat. Now, I frequently use Google Drive files with my team in the office, so for me this isn't a big deal. I also create very simple doc documents on Android that I find more than sufficient for the basic needs. When i find myself needing Office I also find myself needing a larger screen and a mouse. Consider if it's the same for you.
    4. This is tricky, you're comparing issues of a year old product with a brand spanking new one. Up to you.
    5. For this, I rank Android as king. Android has apps that have allowed me to play all my videos on my tablet. I have a wireless 1TB hard drive and have always been able to play all movies without a problem. The Surface would only have an advantage if you care for the microsd, but for me, the 1TB wireless hard drive is simply enough :D You also have the wide selection of movies to rent/buy from the Play Store.
    6. Not a gamer either :D
    7. OK
    8. Who's your e-mail provider? If google, then i'd tip for Android, if MS, then toss a coin.
    9. Difficult to say.... In all honesty, Google has a better online store where apps are more robust and updates more frequently.
    10. Up to you. I personally dislike the slot memory cards. I like either cloud or everything in the main storage partition.

My best suggestion, if you want a tablet/laptop hybrid, then maybe Surface 2 is for you, but if you simply want a great tablet, the probably the Nexus is for you.
    10-31-2013 09:21 AM
    It certainly does help!! Guys, I thank you so much for these comments. You have not crapped all over either device, and you have not tried to shove one down my throat, or push me to another device. This is GREAT STUFF.

One question for you both...If you could have only ONE of these which would it be (assuming the N10 2 will have Snapdragon 800 and 3 GB RAM.)

(I have since heard that Citrix will run on Surface 2...i haven't confirmd that, but heard it does)
    Firstly, an app for the Citrix Receiver is in the Win App store and it is a version for the RT platform. You should read through the review.

Second, if I could only buy one device, then it would have to be the Surface 2. Why? Because (1) I need Office; (2) I need the seamless integration with my desktop machine via SkyDrive; (3) the screen is not bad at all - not getting drawn into the (imho, useless) PPI discussion; (4) virtually seamless integration of (nothing less than) a back-lit keyboard; (5) the expansion possibilities - USB 3.0 and MicroSD card. As for media files etc., there are already options available in the store - though I don't know how good or not they are yet - and there will be more to come (with VLC being one of the main ones that I am looking forward to).
    10-31-2013 09:41 AM

Glad to help.

If I could only have one... I'd have to seriously think about what the device...

SHOULD do - Things that I need it to be able to accomplish
    COULD do - Capabilities that I might use later
    WOULD do - Things that I like it to do

Comparing the two devices, here's my opinion on which is better suited for the category. You can assign each a number (your priority for the category- the higher the number the more important), add up the numbers, the device with the higher number wins! LOL (I've omitted categories where I felt that there was no clear winner)

Media Consumption - Nexus
    Productivity, Documents - Surface
    Productivity, GTD - Nexus
    Connectivity - Surface (microphones, usb drives, printing, etc.)
    Hardware Portability - Surface (keyboard, cover, etc.)
    Games - Nexus
    Cross Platform - Nexus (Android apps often have counterparts for desktop Win/OSX as well as iOS)
    Personalization - Nexus (desktop widgets, alternate launchers, etc.)
    Netbook functionality - Surface
    10-31-2013 09:47 AM
    4. Every Android device that I've ever owned and still own (the current Jelly Bean and going back to the first Android device, the G1) has suffered from performance issues and poor battery life.
    Just to chime in on this point here. I have a first generation Nexus 7 and nothing but issues with battery life, the device would literally only last a few hours. After A LOT of research i discovered the MEDIA SERVER chewing my battery away, the only way to fix that was to kill all processes related to Music playback and media server (google) connectivity. I thought it was a potential device issue but my brother in law and a friend also own the same device and experienced exact same issues. Im not saying this is currently an issue on the latest devices (2013 models) but this experience definitely made me turn 180 and if i were to consider a tablet in the future it would either be a Windows OS or Apple product. I cannot say a Surface tablet is better since i never owned one, although i love my Surface Pro 2 and in terms of battery life easily surpasses my Nexus 7.
    10-31-2013 09:50 AM
    I have no experience with Android tablets, but I find the Surface 2 to be a great tablet for "almost" all of my needs. The two things it is missing are a solid media player for all media types (I am really hoping VLC can fix this issue soon) and the comfort of knowing that if there is an app for a task it will be in my app store (Android and iOS have that). That said, I am finding that almost everything I need to do can be done well by taking advantage of IE11. I have shortcut tiles to the desktop web player versions of Pandora and Spotify, which can play in the background (important for music players), and Amazon Prime Movies also works well through the browser.

Finally, if you like to keep everything in the cloud, you cannot do much better than 200 GB of free storage through SkyDrive.
    10-31-2013 10:08 AM
    VLC would certainly be a plus for sure! You folks have been EXTREMELY helpful. Still haven't decided which is best for me, but you've made me more aware of each tablet's positives. I THINK I may be leaning toward the Surface 2. I will still wait to see if Google announces the N10 2 today or tomorrow. But won't wait much longer than that. Again, thanks very much to you all. Of course as soon as I post this I may lean toward the N10 again!! I hopefully will be happy with whatever I decide!!
    Last edited by GreatCanadian; 10-31-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    10-31-2013 11:26 AM
    VLC would certainly be a plus for sure! You folks have been EXTREMELY helpful. Still haven't decided which is best for me, but you've made me more aware of each tablet's positives. I THINK I may be leaning toward the Surface 2. I will still wait to see if Google announces the N10 2 today or tomorrow. But won't wait much longer than that. Again, thanks very much to you all. Of course as soon as I post this I may lean toward the N10 again!! I hopefully will be happy with whatever I decide!!
    Surface 2. You should watch my video review and performance video on it :)

Wendy Haylett likes this.
    10-31-2013 05:37 PM
    I have the current Nexus 10 and just purchased a Surface 2. No comparison in my view - the Surface 2 is the hands down winner.

Why did I stop using the Nexus 10? Lag. Pure and simple.

Anybody who claims the Nexus (and frankly all Android tablets I have used) doesn't have lag is kidding themselves. The lag drives me crazy. It is slow to respond to keyboard inputs (even though the Android keyboards are far and away better) and there is a small stutter every time you try to do anything - scroll between screens, open apps, turn pages, etc. It drives me crazy! It happened on my Galaxy Note 10.1 as well as my Nexus 10. I've seen reports that say the touch responsiveness of Android is nearly double that of Apple (not sure where the Surface 2 ranks but it must be near Apple from what I can tell).

Now maybe it doesn't bother others as much and maybe the 2013 Nexus 10 will fix this, or at least some of it, but Surface 2 keeps up beautifully with everything I am doing. It works like a good tablet should.

Oh, and ignore the PPI wars. I've had the iPad Retina, the Nexus 10 and now the Surface 2 and the Surface screen quality is every bit as good as the others.

Good luck with your decision!

Ron
    10-31-2013 10:19 PM
    @Daylife and @AndroidRon: I was back and forth between the 2 and yesterday was leaning towards Surface. Then last night toward the N10. Then I see Daylife's video and AndroidRon's comment on the display and now I'm back toward the Surface again.

I am aware that PPI isn't everything. I have not seen an iPad retina display believe it or not!! And I've never seen the Surface. But I have seen the N10 and was floored. It's awesome. So if a couple more can chime in and comment on the N10 vs. Surface display I would greatly appreciate it.

Daylife, do you own or have used a Nexus 10? Awesome video by the way.
    AndroidRon. You own both, so you could be of tremendous help to me! :
    If the N10 didn't suffer from the lag you experienced, would you prefer it over your Surface? (I promise, no more questions!!)
    11-01-2013 06:24 AM
    @Daylife and @AndroidRon: I was back and forth between the 2 and yesterday was leaning towards Surface. Then last night toward the N10. Then I see Daylife's video and AndroidRon's comment on the display and now I'm back toward the Surface again.

I am aware that PPI isn't everything. I have not seen an iPad retina display believe it or not!! And I've never seen the Surface. But I have seen the N10 and was floored. It's awesome. So if a couple more can chime in and comment on the N10 vs. Surface display I would greatly appreciate it.

Daylife, do you own or have used a Nexus 10? Awesome video by the way.
    AndroidRon. You own both, so you could be of tremendous help to me! :
    If the N10 didn't suffer from the lag you experienced, would you prefer it over your Surface? (I promise, no more questions!!)
    I have owned a Nexus 7, iPad 2, iPad 3, and a *** Transformer Prime, and a Surface RT, and now a Surface 2. The build quality of the Surface 2 destroys all of them, the smoothness of the OS is beautiful. You should really go to a Microsoft store or Bestbuy and try one out for yourself. I guarantee you that you'll walk out with one haha
    rav16 likes this.
    11-01-2013 02:38 PM
    Hello folks. I thank you all so much for your most helpful posts. It was difficult to decide between these 2 great tablets. In the end I've decided on the Surface 2. Again, thanks to all.

GC
    HeyCori likes this.
    11-04-2013 08:24 AM
    Well, I look forward to hearing your honest opinions on it
    11-04-2013 08:38 AM
    Of course, now that I already have my letter sent to Santa, I am reading another thread here regarding screen issues! Hopefully that issue is fixed by the time Santa arrives!
    11-04-2013 09:26 AM
    The issues will get resolved, i wouldnt be so concerned. Good choice, the better one in my opinion...you'll love it. Let us know your impressions when you get it.
    11-04-2013 09:46 AM
    I'll certainly do that. Thanks.
    11-04-2013 10:22 AM
    I have a Surface 2, and had a Surface RT for a year. Citrix works perfectly and provides a flawless virtualized Windows 7 environment. I also use a BT mouse (the Arc Touch Mouse Surface edition, because it fits in the pocket of my Surface sleeve) and a type cover 2 keyboard when using Citrix. Can't imagine trying to do it with a touch. Citrix can also be run in a 50/50 split with another app, which is a killer feature. Basically, my surface is a full-fledged laptop that is the size and has the functionality of a 10" tablet. Best of both worlds.

As an attorney, I use my Surface during depositions, It has become fashionable over the past couple of years for attorneys to use an iPad attached to a keyboard instead of using a laptop. Frequently, it comes up that documents need to be produced at the deposition that exist on somebody's iPad. Seeing other lawyers try to email large PDFs on their iPad is comedic and seems to take forever. They can't simply stick a USB stick into their iPad to exchange the documents as can be done on a real computer like the Surface. They are also stuck using touch or keyboard shortcuts while I can use any BT mouse, a feature that is woefully underrated. I know you are asking about the Android tablet as a comparison, and I can't speak to that--I haven't seen anybody ever use one in a work environment.
    Last edited by BCH; 11-06-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    11-06-2013 05:52 AM
    I have never owned a tablet but have been waiting for the Nexus 10 2. The tablet will not be used for gaming or movies. I stopped at Best Buy to see their products, they had no Nexus 10" tablet but did show me a Surface 2, which at the price of $449, with a keyboard and full size usb port, was interesting. The Office that is on this, would that be compatible with an older version of Office, from around 1999?
    Note: Looked at BestBuy.com, turns out the keyboard is NOT included with the Surface 2.
    Last edited by nancykay; 11-09-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    11-09-2013 12:16 PM
    I have never owned a tablet but have been waiting for the Nexus 10 2. The tablet will not be used for gaming or movies. I stopped at Best Buy to see their products, they had no Nexus 10" tablet but did show me a Surface 2, which at the price of $449, with a keyboard and full size usb port, was interesting. The Office that is on this, would that be compatible with an older version of Office, from around 1999?
    Note: Looked at BestBuy.com, turns out the keyboard is NOT included with the Surface 2.
    Haha, yeah, you only get the screen, plus a charger. That's it! Check out the ASUS T100. It's only 2gb of RAM though.... A compromise for full blown Win8.1

To answer your question, yes, the Surface 2 can open files that were created by Office as old as 1999. Many many office suites can open these old files. The older these files, the easier it is for them to open (because they're much more simple). However, MS Office is always king at opening its own files.
    11-12-2013 09:54 AM
    yes, the Surface 2 can open files that were created by Office as old as 1999.

Thanks. Now that I find the Surface CAN work with an older Office, I have decided to wait for the latest Nexus 10 and compare. Though, of course, I realize that the Nexus 10 does not have Office. Oh well.
    Last edited by nancykay; 11-13-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    11-12-2013 10:06 AM
    I went back and re-checked the Asus T100. It is getting favorable reviews. And it comes with a keyboard, which doubles as a cover. I am now looking at purchasing this. WalMart has it for $379, which sounds like a very fair price.
    Next day: I just returned from purchasing the above Asus T100, it is charging. Cannot wait to try it out.
    It would not turn on after charging, I am returning the T100 to try another T100.
    2nd one started just fine after charging, then numerous times could not find wifi. Too inconsistent in that regard, it was also returned. Too bad, otherwise, it was a nice little setup.
    Last edited by nancykay; 11-21-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    11-14-2013 02:09 PM