way to reset surface rt and keep 8.1?

stewpeanut

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know if there's a way i can upgrade my surface rt to 8.1 and then reset to a fresh state? i'll be handing it over to someone else and i'd like to be able to give it to them clean with 8.1 installed.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can reset everything and reinstall windows, and I am almost sure that it will still be 8.1

lbaxter

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
i'll probably give it a shot later...thanks.

I am in the process of trying this too. So far, you probably need a degree in computer programming to be able to hack it to the point where it will allow you to restore it to "factory" settings. I have created a USB recovery from within 8.1 on my Surface RT, but when I tried to reset it, I got the "files missing - your installation or recovery media should have them" message. Booted to the reset screen (ol blue with the options to Continue, Use a device, Troubleshoot) and tried the methods posted on microsoft's own sites. However, when prompted to insert my recovery USB drive, I get a message that it's "invalid, try again." I have followed every step given by MS, and NONE of it will work. Why can't this be a simple "click this to restore to factory settings" process like every other tablet in the world?

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE help. I am at a complete loss. All I want to be able to do is remove all my stuff so I can sell this to someone on Swappa.

lbaxter

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, apparently Microsoft does not know the difference between the word "copy" and the word "extract." Once I extracted the recovery image for 8.0 to the USB and attempted the process another 3 times with no success, it finally worked. Some kinda voodoo, I guess, since my process didn't change for the 3 times I attempted it after extracting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99