I have a Surface RT with a Type Cover. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Surface 2 (what a great improvement), but when I try out the Type Cover 2 I really don't like what they did to the touchpad buttons. On the Type Cover 1 you have touchpad left and right click buttons that are tactile. Being able to actually press them down and here a little click makes it easy to click and highlight text and to right click. But the Touch Cover 2, while overall a slightly improved design, really dropped the ball, I think, by removing the tactile touchpad left-and-right mouse buttons. It is difficult to click and select text and difficult to right click on things. Or am I missing something?
    11-03-2013 05:11 PM
    I have a Surface RT with a Type Cover. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Surface 2 (what a great improvement), but when I try out the Type Cover 2 I really don't like what they did to the touchpad buttons. On the Type Cover 1 you have touchpad left and right click buttons that are tactile. Being able to actually press them down and here a little click makes it easy to click and highlight text and to right click. But the Touch Cover 2, while overall a slightly improved design, really dropped the ball, I think, by removing the tactile touchpad left-and-right mouse buttons. It is difficult to click and select text and difficult to right click on things. Or am I missing something?
    While I agree with you on the fact that I also wish they still had the actual buttons, I will state that after a few days with a type cover 2 that the overall function of the touchpad is improved enough that I no longer miss it. Two finger touch = same as right click.
    KoukiFC3S likes this.
    11-03-2013 06:46 PM
    I have a Surface Pro with Type Cover 1, and just got my kid a Surface 2 with Type Cover 2. Honestly, I don't like either trackpad and so use them as little as possible.

Although I always loved my Type Cover 1, I find the Type Cover 2 to have a significantly better feel to the keyboard. Much, much better. So much so that for me it's worth the upgrade to Type Cover 2. In fact, I would already be doing this if I wasn't instead waiting for the Battery Type Cover.....
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    11-05-2013 02:39 AM
    I have a Surface Pro with Type Cover 1, and just got my kid a Surface 2 with Type Cover 2. Honestly, I don't like either trackpad and so use them as little as possible.

Although I always loved my Type Cover 1, I find the Type Cover 2 to have a significantly better feel to the keyboard. Much, much better. So much so that for me it's worth the upgrade to Type Cover 2. In fact, I would already be doing this if I wasn't instead waiting for the Battery Type Cover.....
    Over time, I've concluded that the trackpad on all these covers is pretty worthless to me.

The sandpaper-like qualities are great for those callouses. The area of the trackpad is so small that it makes it difficult to use it heavily. The trackpad buttons are too near the edge that even on the TypeCover2 it can be challenging to register a click.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a TypeCover3 that includes actual buttons and a smooth trackpad surface.

For typing, the TypeCover2 is outstanding. I've resigned myself to bringing a small bluetooth mouse with me instead of the trackpad for regular use and only use the trackpad when portability is a must.
    11-05-2013 10:17 AM
    Over time, I've concluded that the trackpad on all these covers is pretty worthless to me.

The sandpaper-like qualities are great for those callouses. The area of the trackpad is so small that it makes it difficult to use it heavily. The trackpad buttons are too near the edge that even on the TypeCover2 it can be challenging to register a click.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a TypeCover3 that includes actual buttons and a smooth trackpad surface.

For typing, the TypeCover2 is outstanding. I've resigned myself to bringing a small bluetooth mouse with me instead of the trackpad for regular use and only use the trackpad when portability is a must.
    I do exactly the same thing. I've never liked any trackpad, I usually stick to a mouse. With the SP2, idk if its because its a tablet form factor, but I never use the trackpad to highlight text, I instinctively use the touch screen.
    11-05-2013 10:24 AM
    I ws iffy at first, but like BaritoneGuy suggests, two-finger tap greatly improves my opinion of the touchpad change. The gestures, improved sensitivity and soft touch material are all welcome improvements, and don't forget the lighting. I only use the left click button for text selection, but that can be done done on-screen. You do hear a system generated click in metro apps when using the left click soft button and the soft button has an area of give that adds to the feeling of the clickpad of the Type 1.
    11-05-2013 04:18 PM
    I also prefer the Type Cover 1 to Type Cover 2, because the key travel reduction of 40% makes my typing bottom out a lot more and slower as a result.

Why exactly do you say the keyboard has a better feel?
    12-05-2013 12:38 AM