Surface 2 Video - Tips and Tricks

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The DNLA supported devices including PS3 and Xbox are the receivers from the Playto on the Surface or Lumia phones. I use the Playto on my L1020 to cast media to the DNLA TV quite often. The video demonstrated that Surface 2 is used to cast media apps to a Xbox connected TV. The Xbox is a DNLA receiver which then displays the video or audio to the connected TV. If your TV supports DNLA, then you don't need Xbox (or PS3).

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
This video convinced me to buy Surface 2 instead of any x86 full win8 tablet.!
MS should learn to advertise Surface from this video.!

The RT critics are often focused on the incompatibility to the x86 legacy software. But the fact is that most people don't plan to run any heavy duty legacy software on a tablet anyway. I have two desktops which would continue to support me to do the legacy stuffs. I just ordered a Dell 2314T touch monitor so I can turn one of the desktops to a W8.1 machine. But I need a light weight tablet to carry around and also do those activities as shown on this video. I also need a full version of Office. Both a Surface 2 or a BayTrail tablet would serve the purpose. The price for both machines are comparable while S2 is slightly higher. The Surface 2 is definitely a higher quality choice with an outstanding Type Cover keyboard and kickstand. The 200GB free Skydrive storage for two years and Skype free call for one year are added values. The MS new BLADE peripheral standard is especially attractive to me. It can potentially add more functions to the tablet down the road. MS long term support to the Surface is also a consideration. This video has demonstrated that the Tegra 4 processor is quite capable of supporting all the activities I plan to do with a tablet. Its performance is quite impressive. The only thing left for me to consider is whether I should wait for the 8" model which is supposed to be released in the Spring. It is even more mobile than S2. I definitely won't use that for the x86 legacy stuffs. :-(

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is how I work. It is how most true developers work. (I have 30 years invested in this business, 2 advanced comp sci degrees and 3 certs. Not that any of that matters here but just throwing it out there) It is how most in this eco-system make it happen. This is why I stress the concept of "imagination". Every science professor talks about this and this is what makes me work. Apps can only do so much but I am the one that makes it happen. When there is a need it is imagination that fills the void. It is what is happening here but you can't be blinded by and covet what others have, aka IOS.
I've seen the apps on the Ipad and as impressive as some of them are, bucketfuls of them are a pure waste of talent, time and put there hoping to make a few bucks. Thousands make nothing. There are literally 10's of thousands of those crap apps in the IOS marketplace. Unknown, and unused IOS apps sitting in icon store all of which are completely worthless. With my Surface I can not only feel like I am more in control, I am in control of what happens and how it happens. We can solicit those developers we feel will improve this eco-system as opposed to relying on some promotion of totally useless apps in the IOS market to make the case.
This the exact problem that i have had with tablets. An app or some kind of work around is required to do basic things half azz. This is were the surface is pulling out of the app mud hole in which your trying to figure out what you can do with your tablet and figuring out what additional software is required to do basic function. Apps are what is conventional with mobile devises, being functional out of the box, like the surface , is not.

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So I finally had a chance to try casting some stuff to my TV through my Xbox tonight. I couldn't get anything to work. The Xbox shows up in most apps (youtube, IE11, etc.), but I am either told that my content is protected (even though I have Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, and Xbox Music (with Xbox Gold) accounts), or it just spins and spins on my display and gives an error. I have a wireless N network so I think it should be "fast enough" to run OK...the router is actually AC, but nothing else supports that. Any thoughts? Thanks.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
So I finally had a chance to try casting some stuff to my TV through my Xbox tonight. I couldn't get anything to work. The Xbox shows up in most apps (youtube, IE11, etc.), but I am either told that my content is protected (even though I have Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Spotify, Pandora, and Xbox Music (with Xbox Gold) accounts), or it just spins and spins on my display and gives an error. I have a wireless N network so I think it should be "fast enough" to run OK...the router is actually AC, but nothing else supports that. Any thoughts? Thanks.

At least you got further than I. I can't get the surface to see my ps3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon