Surface 2 Video - Tips and Tricks

sinic999

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Wonder if its possible to connect to the ps3 with the surface 2 through playto function just like he did for the xbox??

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my surface 2 today from walmart. I expect it in the mail any day now. Can't wait. <rubbing hands & evil smile>

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Answer: Apps.

The more I try to switch from my iPad 4 to my Surface RT, the greater the issue of applications becomes.

I'm just the opposite. I have the ipad mini and a Surface RT and I cant wait to get rid of my ipad. Its an annoying piece of technology as I found out. It has apps but its missing something. The Surface is more "complete". I can't insert a memory card in my ipad, I can't insert a usb key in it either. I cannot watch a movie on it, then command it to send the video to my WDTV HD. I can't even multitask on the ipad like I can on the Surface. IOS 7 offers the 4 finger swipe but that is the most unnatural method of doing anything. I can't even use it in this forum to type because the keyboard gets confused and will not keep focus on what its doing.

Beyond any of this, there are a good number of very nice apps on my Surface and it gets the job done quite nicely. I don't miss what I don't have and I don't covet as a general rule. I just discovered Readiy. Another well done app for the RT. Never knew it existed before my son got the Surface 2. I used another really good news app called News Bento. It doesn't have a name you'll find on IOS circuit but it has a good sized audience here.
Point is, apps is only a part of the story for serious people in this spectrum. The rest is what we can grow out of this ecosystem and our imagination push us the rest of the way. There has to be room for that. and that my friend, you can't find on any other platform.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm just the opposite. I have the ipad mini and a Surface RT and I cant wait to get rid of my ipad. Its an annoying piece of technology as I found out. It has apps but its missing something. The Surface is more "complete". I can't insert a memory card in my ipad, I can't insert a usb key in it either. I cannot watch a movie on it, then command it to send the video to my WDTV HD. I can't even multitask on the ipad like I can on the Surface. IOS 7 offers the 4 finger swipe but that is the most unnatural method of doing anything. I can't even use it in this forum to type because the keyboard gets confused and will not keep focus on what its doing.

Beyond any of this, there are a good number of very nice apps on my Surface and it gets the job done quite nicely. I don't miss what I don't have and I don't covet as a general rule. I just discovered Readiy. Another well done app for the RT. Never knew it existed before my son got the Surface 2. I used another really good news app called News Bento. It doesn't have a name you'll find on IOS circuit but it has a good sized audience here.
Point is, apps is only a part of the story for serious people in this spectrum. The rest is what we can grow out of this ecosystem and our imagination push us the rest of the way. There has to be room for that. and that my friend, you can't find on any other platform.
That describes the dilemma of the situation very well. On the one hand, the Surface does many things that I can't do with my iPad. If that wasn't true, then I'd have no incentive to make the switch in the first place. Hardware connectivity (hdmi, microSD, USB, keyboards, etc.) is a tremendous draw. So is having a virtually full featured version of MS Office.

The heart of computing devices, it's raison d'?tre is to get things done. Things get done through applications and hardware. "Our imagination" sounds nice, but it won't create the applications needed to get things done. Sometimes those things are simply leisure and entertainment. Other times it is productivity. Other times, creativity.

I'm not talking about simplistic appified websites. Illustration programs, audio recording apps, music and video playback apps. Yes, technically they exist. But they are very basic. XBox Music is a pretty poor app for music playback. It's primary focus appears to direct users to its music service rather than playback. The default Video player does the same thing. That would be fine if there were quality alternatives. There aren't. MediaMonkey shows promise but has glaring bugs and deficiencies.

And on an on it goes. Shortcut live tiles for websites makes it convenient to visit sites directly without the need for special apps (like a dedicated facebook app or twitter app). But they only show up as tabs in the browser, not as standalone entries in the task manager... that makes switch between apps and those tabs cumbersome. And makes having them share a screen difficult.

I've been a software developer for over 30 years. I have plenty of experience tweaking, tinkering, and cobbling together solutions to work around deficiencies. But I'm looking for something that "simply works". When I want to record a podcast episode, jack in my Blue Yeti mic, fire up the audio recording app and go. Spend a few minutes in post-recording editing, cropping, and tweaking. Done. I can do that easily on the iPad with the software available but the hardware hook-up is a kludge. I can easily set up the hardware on the Surface to do that, but the software simply doesn't exist to do that.

When we minimize the importance of applications to portray a more positive picture we run the risk of "settling for less". Fans of the platform are forgiving, but that won't encourage others to join in.

And so it goes.

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I actually saw this video in the reviews section for Surface 2 on Amazon the other day, and ended up spending half the day playing with the speech recognition on my S2. One really cool thing I can do with the speech recognition is use it with recipe apps. MS Food and Drink has a "hands free" feature that uses the webcam to let you gesture scroll without touching the device, but it's not very good. But the speech recognition is great, so if my hands are full of chicken goo, I just have to say "scroll right" or "scroll left" to go back and forth in the recipe. THAT is really great.

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
That describes the dilemma of the situation very well. On the one hand, the Surface does many things that I can't do with my iPad. If that wasn't true, then I'd have no incentive to make the switch in the first place. Hardware connectivity (hdmi, microSD, USB, keyboards, etc.) is a tremendous draw. So is having a virtually full featured version of MS Office.

The heart of computing devices, it's raison d'?tre is to get things done. Things get done through applications and hardware. "Our imagination" sounds nice, but it won't create the applications needed to get things done. Sometimes those things are simply leisure and entertainment. Other times it is productivity. Other times, creativity.

I'm not talking about simplistic appified websites. Illustration programs, audio recording apps, music and video playback apps. Yes, technically they exist. But they are very basic. XBox Music is a pretty poor app for music playback. It's primary focus appears to direct users to its music service rather than playback. The default Video player does the same thing. That would be fine if there were quality alternatives. There aren't. MediaMonkey shows promise but has glaring bugs and deficiencies.

And on an on it goes. Shortcut live tiles for websites makes it convenient to visit sites directly without the need for special apps (like a dedicated facebook app or twitter app). But they only show up as tabs in the browser, not as standalone entries in the task manager... that makes switch between apps and those tabs cumbersome. And makes having them share a screen difficult.

I've been a software developer for over 30 years. I have plenty of experience tweaking, tinkering, and cobbling together solutions to work around deficiencies. But I'm looking for something that "simply works". When I want to record a podcast episode, jack in my Blue Yeti mic, fire up the audio recording app and go. Spend a few minutes in post-recording editing, cropping, and tweaking. Done. I can do that easily on the iPad with the software available but the hardware hook-up is a kludge. I can easily set up the hardware on the Surface to do that, but the software simply doesn't exist to do that.

When we minimize the importance of applications to portray a more positive picture we run the risk of "settling for less". Fans of the platform are forgiving, but that won't encourage others to join in.

And so it goes.
Rome wasn't built in a day. I think S2 will get the software, and when it does the hardware is alreadyd ready. I'm more convinced of that now after seeing that video. Performance-wise, that was pretty damn impressive.

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
This was the video that SOLD me on the Surface 2! I have been looking for a more productive tablet to actually get some writing work done … without a laptop, using a keyboard on a tablet. I’m coming from a Kindle Fire HD and iPhone 4S. I write for a living and need Microsoft compatibility for Word, Excel, etc. I am also a complete cord cutter and use IPTV for all TV, movie viewing through Roku and other devices, including mini HDMI from my current Kindle. Hadn’t really thought much about Windows tablets - except maybe the Asus Transformer or the new Dell, but started looking at Microsoft Surface 2 reviews and saw the video. I realized the Surface 2 is just what I needed and wanted, but didn’t think existed. I’m sold and will be asking Santa for this. But I can’t wait!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

And so it goes.
This is how I work. It is how most true developers work. (I have 30 years invested in this business, 2 advanced comp sci degrees and 3 certs. Not that any of that matters here but just throwing it out there) It is how most in this eco-system make it happen. This is why I stress the concept of "imagination". Every science professor talks about this and this is what makes me work. Apps can only do so much but I am the one that makes it happen. When there is a need it is imagination that fills the void. It is what is happening here but you can't be blinded by and covet what others have, aka IOS.
I've seen the apps on the Ipad and as impressive as some of them are, bucketfuls of them are a pure waste of talent, time and put there hoping to make a few bucks. Thousands make nothing. There are literally 10's of thousands of those crap apps in the IOS marketplace. Unknown, and unused IOS apps sitting in icon store all of which are completely worthless. With my Surface I can not only feel like I am more in control, I am in control of what happens and how it happens. We can solicit those developers we feel will improve this eco-system as opposed to relying on some promotion of totally useless apps in the IOS market to make the case.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
This was the video that SOLD me on the Surface 2! I have been looking for a more productive tablet to actually get some writing work done … without a laptop, using a keyboard on a tablet. I’m coming from a Kindle Fire HD and iPhone 4S. I write for a living and need Microsoft compatibility for Word, Excel, etc. I am also a complete cord cutter and use IPTV for all TV, movie viewing through Roku and other devices, including mini HDMI from my current Kindle. Hadn’t really thought much about Windows tablets - except maybe the Asus Transformer or the new Dell, but started looking at Microsoft Surface 2 reviews and saw the video. I realized the Surface 2 is just what I needed and wanted, but didn’t think existed. I’m sold and will be asking Santa for this. But I can’t wait!

You'll love it Wendy. I have the Surface RT but it gets it done and does so much and feels so familiar using it. You'll see and welcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos