Such biased reviews are killing the surface 2 ?

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
It strikes me on first reading the review that Dan Rowinski doesn't understand the Surface 2. Therefore he starts hacking it off as confused!!!!

Just because he thinks it is confused doesn't mean others will. I personally do not think the Surface 8.1 operating system is confused. Far from it, in fact. It makes excellent use of the ARM processor and demonstrates some distinctly great programming which makes using Windows 8.1 a joy to use!!

He comes across as sounding like a Steve Jobs apostle. And in my book that is very bad!!!!

Don't listen to Dan Rowinski as he is biased towards Apple glitz.

Nevica

Last edited:

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well said guys .

I don't own a surface yet I own a iPad . But this review was too much biased . And iam just amazed at tech sites who don't demonstrate the capabilities of surface 2 . There are no surface 2 vs iPad air reviews also , if there are any they showing this useless benchmark stuff .

Why are they not showing real time webpage rendering ? Why are they not showing running Skype and ie or Facebook side by side which the ipad can't ?

All they are harping is how the iPad is thinner and lighter . And guess what ? all those iPad airs will be eventually be going inside some sort of a case which will make the iPad air thicker then surface 2 with its keyboard / cover attached .

People must post more and more videos of their surface 2 demonstrating the versatility it has only then it will reach a critical mass among buyers .

Iam seriously thinking of buying a surface 2 this time over the iPad air . Videos by Daylife also convinced me that this machine is awesome and handles everything you throw at it . Whereas there are guys crying at macrumors forums that their ipad air crashes , reloads and slutters .

rculver9056

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
This is the article that I got bollocked for being 'abusive'...Who'd have known that the words 'iSheep' and '******' were offensive..?! They cut out many of the points I made as well.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well said guys .

I don't own a surface yet I own a iPad . But this review was too much biased . And iam just amazed at tech sites who don't demonstrate the capabilities of surface 2 . There are no surface 2 vs iPad air reviews also , if there are any they showing this useless benchmark stuff .

Why are they not showing real time webpage rendering ? Why are they not showing running Skype and ie or Facebook side by side which the ipad can't ?

All they are harping is how the iPad is thinner and lighter . And guess what ? all those iPad airs will be eventually be going inside some sort of a case which will make the iPad air thicker then surface 2 with its keyboard / cover attached .

People must post more and more videos of their surface 2 demonstrating the versatility it has only then it will reach a critical mass among buyers .

Iam seriously thinking of buying a surface 2 this time over the iPad air . Videos by Daylife also convinced me that this machine is awesome and handles everything you throw at it . Whereas there are guys crying at macrumors forums that their ipad air crashes , reloads and slutters .
Im glad you liked my videos :) I seriously love my Surface 2, and this is coming from someone that owned an iPad before. The iPad is a great device, but its just not in the dame league as the Surface 2, or any 8.1 RT tablet.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Steve Jobs once described the iPad as, “the intersection between technology and liberal arts.”

For Microsoft’s Surface 2 tablet, the intersection may be at technology and a Master’s of Business Administration.The problem is that while most people who have gone to college have had at least a bachelors degree in liberal arts (or some other pursuit), only a small portion of those people go on to get an MBA. The Surface 2, like the Surface RT before it, struggles with a problem of identity. Is it a tablet? A notebook? To what exactly do you compare it?

Why does it need to be compared to ANYTHING? If it cannot be compared, its got an identity crisis issue and considered a flop?...I think this reviewer has a identity crisis of being open-minded about new technologies. Seriously this opening statement was enough for me to get annoyed.

sinic999

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't really care about reviews because the tendency to be bias will always be there regardless of how neutral one can be. To me, ipad is for those who want simplicity and overwhelming amount of apps whereas the surface focuses more on productivity (office,multitasking,remote desktop,etc).

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Steve Jobs once described the iPad as, “the intersection between technology and liberal arts.”

For Microsoft’s Surface 2 tablet, the intersection may be at technology and a Master’s of Business Administration.The problem is that while most people who have gone to college have had at least a bachelors degree in liberal arts (or some other pursuit), only a small portion of those people go on to get an MBA. The Surface 2, like the Surface RT before it, struggles with a problem of identity. Is it a tablet? A notebook? To what exactly do you compare it?

Why does it need to be compared to ANYTHING? If it cannot be compared, its got an identity crisis issue and considered a flop?...I think this reviewer has a identity crisis of being open-minded about new technologies. Seriously this opening statement was enough for me to get annoyed.
The Surface needs to be compared to things because consumers need to know what purpose it serves. Since it isn't strictly a tablet in the traditional sense (when compared to other devices) nor is it strictly a netbook, people want to know how this device will fit into their lives. Microsoft NEEDS them to know. If the Surface is to gain traction and marketshare Microsoft needs to show real-life scenarios where the Surface is the best option.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The Surface needs to be compared to things because consumers need to know what purpose it serves. Since it isn't strictly a tablet in the traditional sense (when compared to other devices) nor is it strictly a netbook, people want to know how this device will fit into their lives. Microsoft NEEDS them to know. If the Surface is to gain traction and marketshare Microsoft needs to show real-life scenarios where the Surface is the best option.

A lot of evolutionary technologies that amalgamate multiple devices/functions that only existed separately previous are difficult to be compared with other similar technologies on the market. We've seen this happening over the last 20 years, so saying that the Surface is a combination of both a tablet and network is really incorrect. Are there other tablet/network variants on the market that are very similar in comparison? Again i dont have the device or use a lot of tablets but im going to say they werent before but more are starting to come out. I agree Microsoft need to market the concept in a simpler, easier method so the general consumer can grasp it...but thats difficult to explain in a 30 second commercial. We can see with their recent AD's they're trying their best to make the spots informational and engrossing. My point here is the review started off negatively, the first line is a quote by Jobs...and he says basically 'The Surface 2 isn't what made iPad a success..., its too different so im confused'...going on with a bad MBA metaphor. If you go on to read the review, its clear this guy had a preconception of what the device SHOULD BE instead of what IT IS. It's a really bad review, not because he doesn't like the device or is in a identity crisis himself... its because the rational and explanations of his reasoning are garbage.

Lets be real here, a reviewer such as himself has had the device for a MONTH to review...he shouldn't be confused about what it is. After a day or two, a general consumer can comprehend the strengths/weaknesses of the device. He isn't confused, he has a bias and made excuses to cover it up. Thats my input.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

consumers use comparisons to evaluate a devices place in -their- space.

they are shopping for a laptop. is it a laptop ?

they are shopping for a tablet. is it a laptop ?

they are shopping for a phone. is it a phone ?

they are shopping for a truck. is it a truck ?

the first two should be easy for the sales force to manipulate and explain. the others just gross exaggerations to hammer the point.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
consumers use comparisons to evaluate a devices place in -their- space.

they are shopping for a laptop. is it a laptop ?

they are shopping for a tablet. is it a laptop ?

they are shopping for a phone. is it a phone ?

they are shopping for a truck. is it a truck ?

the first two should be easy for the sales force to manipulate and explain. the others just gross exaggerations to hammer the point.

When the iPad was released, what was it compared to?

When the Note was released, what was it compared to?

When the NETBOOK was released, what was it compared to?

Come on...you and the few select users here with the same case in point day after day with the same 'valid reasoning'....yet we have tons of device that combined multiple devices with success. So now the Surface has come along and rocked this illusionary boat to confuse the whole technology world? LOL.

Im calling out bias.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Its simple, its a tablet. Its a tablet that provides additional functionality that may allow the customer to completely avoid buying a laptop if their "laptop needs" are met by the Surface.

In between products are scene in all kinds of industry markets. In some cases, they may become the industry standard and push put their more specialized counter parts.

Look at Crossovers for example. They aren't full blown SUVs. They aren't Minivans. They aren't wagons or sedans. But they do many of the things that those others do in sort of a combined package.

A Crossover is a...
1. Wagon, its bigger, less economic, but provides some similar functionality with extra storage space in the back and good people room.

2. Minivan, it's not as big and roomy in the inside, but still provides a lot of seating, cup holders, etc. It also doesn't carry the stigma that comes with driving a minivan.

3. SUV, it's not as big and doesn't always have 4WD. But it has a similar aesthetic and ground clearance for things like snow and country roads. Its also usually as rugged.

That's exactly what the Surface is. Its a crossover. And for many people, its all they would need in a PC. Eventually when their desktop or laptop dies, they may find that the Surface does everything they need and provides additional mobility.

Vardhan Shrivastava

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Seriously wy it needs to be compared with something that already exist...cant it be marketed and accepted as something nee..an innovation...."presenting surface 2 best of both the worlds" ...the worlds here being a netbook and tablet... Plus..the name surface has a much better ring to it...mich better than some pad!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
It was compared to netbooks. It was compared to an iPhone. It was dismissed as an oversized iPod Touch. It was initially derided as a feminine sanitary product. Do you NOT remember those things? Those who initially embraced the iPad were referred to as iSheep... that they would buy ANYTHING made by Apple (simply because those detractors didn't know how it would fit)

It was only AFTER the product was showcased in real world scenarios to the general public did the tech community come around.

It was compared to smartphones. It was embraced because it was a larger form factor. Samsung had to produce ads that showcased HOW the Note was different than smartphones and tablets.

It was compared to notebooks and laptops. Netbooks were initially derided as cheap underpowered toys. Not for serious work.

Come on...you and the few select users here with the same case in point day after day with the same 'valid reasoning'....yet we have tons of device that combined multiple devices with success. So now the Surface has come along and rocked this illusionary boat to confuse the whole technology world? LOL.

Im calling out bias.
While you are calling out bias, include your own in the mix. You mention the iPad, Note, and netbooks and yet you have forgotten the resistance each received during their initial release. And you appear to be ignoring the fact that Microsoft stumbled out of the gate with the marketing of the 1st gen Surface devices. Metrosexual hipsters prancing around swapping keyboards is NOT the way to market the uniqueness of the Surface.

You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression. Microsoft dug itself a hole and it has to dig its way out simply to get on solid ground before it can build on something. Feel free to completely dismiss every review that is not 100% glowing in praise, but that mentality will not help identify where improvements in reputation and appearance need to be made.

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
That review was quite typical of what passes for tech journalism these days. Either fan boy bloggers OR 'journalists' suffering from both horrible ignorance combined with hubris and presumed authority.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
While you are calling out bias, include your own in the mix. You mention the iPad, Note, and netbooks and yet you have forgotten the resistance each received during their initial release. .

I used those examples as forms of recent technology that amalgamated from other influences or successful technologies that originally were considered silly/ridiculous but eventually praised by the media/consumers. The response to "Why does it need to be compared to something that it already exists" from that specific user was a silly response, so i complied and re-responded with a silly answer.

With that said, i hold no bias. the review is crap, not because he doesnt like the device but because hes arguments are bad. I said this earlier...i also didn't say Surface 2 should be loved blindly, we know thats impossible since its a Microsoft product. Im saying this review is confused and constantly referring to the device as an identity criss as an excuse to withhold his own bias (its even more clear in the comments section). After 2 or 3 days, dont you think a general consumer would understand the advantages/disadvantages of Surface 2? I would assume someone with a technology background such as his would be able to distinguish the device rather than crying about its confusion.

I am not defending the product, i am debating the authors un-biased approach to reviewing the product. Its a misleading review, i know this just by watching a ton of released video reviews...some negative and some positive...but at least informative.

You can call me bias and thats fine, i actually dont care but felt i should at least correct your statement towards me. I never once said the product is godly or revolutonary, i just said its trying to evolve multiple products into one. I think based on what you read, you selectively decided i was bias towards MS. Or maybe it was my past comments on how i have a Nexus 7 and do not like the device, which is a personal opinion...but i never said Android or Apple products are BAD. Yes, some people on these boards are BIAS...its very obvious...but i wouldnt say im one of them. I cant be bias towards a Surface RT/2...i never even used the damn thing! LOL

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Im calling out bias.

If you only see bias, I'm sorry, you've missed the point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb