Picking Mine Up Today.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm usually not one to post these types of threads, but I find myself excited. ;)

After some research and consideration, I decided to treat myself to an early Birthday/Christmas gift and just reserved a 32GB model at my local store. I'll be heading out soon to grab it.

Last year's RT didn't really excite me, but with my steady move over to all things Microsoft (including phone) and the changes to this model, I couldn't help but try it.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll see me active here over the next bit. Thanks for the informative posts. :)

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you'll love the surface 2. I'm very pleased with the pro 2, and the surface 2 is a GREAT device. Enjoy it! Curious, you going to get a touch or type cover? I would suggest the type cover 2, as it is physical keys, backlit, and comes in many colors.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if you are going to do a lot of typing, definitely get the Type Cover...I have the purply one (because tough guys like purple).

I had the RT one and gave that one to my cousin. The Surface 2 is a very good Tablet-wanna-be!

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Welp, I'm home now. The unboxing is done and setup complete. I'm just checking for updates now as I assume there are some (It's taking along time checking though).

First impressions? Awesome. The first thing I did was check the browsing speed in IE11 (Most important to me), and it's fantastic. Not much else to say for now.

As for the keyboard, I'm going to try to get by without one for now as this will be mainly for consumption, but that doesn't mean I don't want one...just wanting to minimize the expense for now.

Thanks, folks. :)

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, first time checking for updates take a looong time.

Just a tip; You can enable ad-block to speed up web browsing even more. Go to desktop IE - Settings - Manage Add-ons - Tracking protection - Download list.. - Easylist. I don't have english language but I think you will be able to follow that anyway.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Heh...why should the surface be any different than my PC? I get that once every day (or so) on my desktop...

because its their own damn hardware. There should have been a patch within 3 days at the most. Instead they tell us they are unaware even though there is 8 pages of people reporting it on their own forum. Just today the finally acknowledged it to me, but cant tell me if I'm suppose to swap it for the fifth time or just sit and let my $500 brick sit there.

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
because its their own damn hardware. There should have been a patch within 3 days at the most. Instead they tell us they are unaware even though there is 8 pages of people reporting it on their own forum. Just today the finally acknowledged it to me, but cant tell me if I'm suppose to swap it for the fifth time or just sit and let my $500 brick sit there.

This is the first I've heard of this crash...glad it's not happening to me!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I'm usually not one to post these types of threads, but I find myself excited. ;)

After some research and consideration, I decided to treat myself to an early Birthday/Christmas gift and just reserved a 32GB model at my local store. I'll be heading out soon to grab it.

Last year's RT didn't really excite me, but with my steady move over to all things Microsoft (including phone) and the changes to this model, I couldn't help but try it.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll see me active here over the next bit. Thanks for the informative posts. :)

I am on a launch day surface 2 and elected to go without the keyboard. So far, no issues.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, that certainly sucks. I hope you get it sorted.

A couple quick thoughts as I've had a little more time with the device.

The onscreen keyboard actually works quite well! After some time, I can type (with the device on my lap) almost as quickly as I can on my desktop. Sweet!
The Screen: Sadly, I'm a little disappointed with it. Firstly, it gets dirty and smudged damn quick. Real quick. Depending on the background, like browsing the net with a lot of white, it gets annoying fast. Second, the contrast seems off... not much 'pop' to anything. More time will tell the story there.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I am on a launch day surface 2 and elected to go without the keyboard. So far, no issues.

Same here, got it on launch day. Today I decided to get a keyboard for it and so far extremely happy with the keyboard and the way it performs. Seems more like a small very light weight laptop now. Awesome device tho. Kinda cool not having to touch the screen. I'm using a mouse also , but having the choice to go either way is pretty slick. Works nice as a screen cover to. Really nice being able to keep the screen clean easier.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yes, if you are going to do a lot of typing, definitely get the Type Cover...I have the purply one (because tough guys like purple).
I can wholeheartedly recommend the purple Type Cover 2... that is if you can find it. The salesperson at the local Microsoft Store told me that I was lucky to get mine at Best Buy because they themselves didn't get any purple ones and it is the most sought after color. It's terrific.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Haha, my local best buy had tons of purple,pink,blue and one black. I snatched the last black. Purple? Seriously?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Yup! Purple! Seriously! It's one of the catchiest keyboards that I have used thus far. The backlighting helps too!
I'll take your word for it then, although in my town the black seemed to be the sold out and the various colors were in abundance. To each their own, but having choices is always good.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll take your word for it then, although in my town the black seemed to be the sold out and the various colors were in abundance. To each their own, but having choices is always good.

Well, that was just my opinion though. On my RT (i.e., the 1st Gen device), which I used earlier, I had the black keyboard - though I was not a fan of the felt-backing. Thankfully, the Type Cover 2 seems to have done away with that kind of felt-backing. I should also note, however, that regardless of the colour, the Type 2 KB is excellent though I am not really a big fan of the touchpad. I preferred its implementation in the first edition. Then again, I do like the fact that some gestures (like swiping in from the right edge brings up the Charms menu) are now available.

But you are absolutely correct in saying that choice is good and to each his/ her own.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6