WiFi issues with Win8.1

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Im having a WiFi issue on my Surface Pro. It can connect fine to my home wireless, but after around 40min - 1h of use (video or web surfing) the wifi goes all weird & drop.

Shows that it is still connected, but no connectivity. If I go to control panel, icons don't show and that window freezes. If i try and restart it just sits at the "restarting" text, forcing me to power off via power button.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I've tried some new drivers that I found on net but that hasn't helped. Also witched power plans which doesn't do much too. I guess my next step is to reset back to factory settings, which I want try and avoid.

nesl247

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had this issue on almost all the computers I upgraded to 8.1. What I've done to fix it is to get an Ethernet USB adapter and have that handy. Go to Device Manager, right click the Wifi NIC, click uninstall, make sure to choose the option to uninstall the drivers. Then connect the Ethernet adapter, and click the icon for find new devices. It will automatically download the drivers and install the Wifi card. You will lose all of your stored wifi connections while doing this.

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well new WiFi drivers got released in yesterdays update. I checked the date and they are pretty recent. Ill see how this goes.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm experiencing the same problem today. I just unplug my router and connect it again which fixes it foe about an hour or so. WiFi works fine on my phone so something's wrong with the surface pro.

zokstar

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Did you install the latest update? I did yesterday and tested it with a 720p tv show. It froze for about 20secs then came good again. I'll continue testing

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my laptop (connection dropped to limited after a few minutes) and I had to disable WMM in the advaced settings of the wifi driver!! There seems to be a problem with windows 8.1.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Never had an issue at home, my yes have been at school. Especially with WPA-Enterprise security... It doesn't like when I switch buildings sometimes

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Naren Parker

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I had problems with WiFi on my Windows 8.1 as well. My 920 would connect to my work network just fine but my laptop shows it as a limited connection many times. Sometimes toggling the radio switch on the laptop would help otherwise I had to restart the system or the router. I think there is some bug in the DHCP service not assigning the IP properly. I downloaded the latest Intel drivers for my laptop WiFi and things are a little better now than with the default drivers (IP still doesn't get assigned sometimes though). I am using the Intel Proset Wireless Utility to connect. It's working fine now.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre