Should I upgrade?

NJ1193

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, I'm a college student. Picked up a Surface RT off eBay a month or two ago for $199. I've used it quite a bit since then (the tablet I had before was a Dell XPS 10). Sometimes, it's slow to respond (I'm guessing that's the way all the 1st gen models are?). I've been in Best Buy a lot recently and I've looked at the Surface 2 a few times - it looks better than the RT (love the silver color on the back), but I haven't really been able to test performance. To further complicate things, Dell has released the Venue 8 Pro, but I'm worried that it will have the same build quality of the XPS 10 (kind of a loose fitting case, doesn't feel sturdy). Unfortunately, Best Buy hasn't started selling the Venue 8 Pro so I haven't been able to get my hands on one to see. I want a tablet like the Surface or BlackBerry PlayBook in terms of build quality (PlayBook was my first tablet - LOVED the screen size).

I do have a MacBook and an iMac, so I don't have to have a tablet - but it really is nice to have.

Is the Surface 2 enough of an upgrade to warrant selling my RT for $250 (after selling fees) and plunking down another $200? In other words, it's not like Apple where they'll put a plastic case on a phone and call it new lol.

Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

harkanwal

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Well its good to upgrade .. i will definitely wait for Lumia2520 before moving to Surface2(which also looks cool) but Lumia 2520 gives an edge with perfect camera and other Nokia Apps over the top. Still if Lumia 2520 is not your taste i would simply say upgrade to surface2 :)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I got in on the same $199 deal for the RT. Even in the midst of some frustrations with it I've been delighted with it. IMO, the Surface 2 is not worth $449 for someone who bought the $199 RT bundle. (but I have an MBP and iPad4 so that might skew my view)

I plan on continuing to use the RT, see where it fits in my workflow, and if it does then I'll give a serious look at the Surface 3 (if there is one). Because for me, the issues that I have with the RT are not performance (I made a few tweaks) but the availability of apps for the things that I want to do.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded from an RT to a 2. Had the RT for 11 months, so spending $250 was worth it. The 2 is noticeably faster with some games. For example Candy Crush via flash.
The screen resolution is definitely a plus. And I found the 2 position (3 if you count closed) kickstand much more usable than the RT's. The volume buttons no longer worked on our RT anymore so that was super annoying.

But you sound like you are in a little different situation. I assume you upgraded to 8.1. That helps put a little shine back on the original RT. Maybe wait a few more months? You probably won't get $250 for the RT anymore, but maybe you can get a 2 cheaper by then (i.e. ebay sale).

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos