reset surface

belgiantrotter

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
so I'm about to sell my surface so i can pickup the new one
have a few questions
- will reset really swipe all my personal info?
- i updated to windows 8.1. will reset revert back to 8? or keep the 8.1 on it?

would that be everything I need to do before I sell it to someone?

thanks
greets

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
When you reset, you have two choices, quick (non secure), or full (secure wipe, takes longer). Choose the longer of the two. Even after the reset it will stay at 8.1.

belgiantrotter

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
When you reset, you have two choices, quick (non secure), or full (secure wipe, takes longer). Choose the longer of the two. Even after the reset it will stay at 8.1.

great thanks! i have not started because waiting for a confirmed buyer first :)
and all this can be done through the settings as described by microsoft on their page?

greets

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yep. You can do it via the app interface (right swipe, PC settings, etc), or through the desktop control panel.

It's rather painless process. You just need to power down when it finishes. If I remember, it's when it shows the welcome screen.

belgiantrotter

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I did not need to power down. I didnt stay next to the device the whole time
now I have a page that asks for region and language setting.

I have no way of "'figuring out'' if the clean was succesful...
I guess I will just have to ''trust'' microsoft that all my data has been removed...

anyone knows if I can safely turn it off now? I definitely didnt need to turn it off myself...

greets

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you're at the Region and Language screen, then you're good to go for powering down (long press on the power button). And if you did the "long" reset, your data is wiped securely. So box it up and ship it out to the new owner, you're done!

Microsoft knew that people would be selling used devices, so for once they made accommodations and processes for doing it. I got my Surface RT used, and the person before me did the above steps before giving it to me. When I got it, I tried to see if there was anything to see from his previous use, and I couldn't find anything (he is a friend, and we were curious if the process worked. It did).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo