November Update

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if this fixed the Nvidia Driver crash?
Well here is irony for you. While updating, the god damn thing crashed on the NVIDIA driver error and now when it try to update windows, it keeps erroring out. So now there is no way to update it. 5 Surface 2's later and still no fix, I'm about ready to dump this lemon and go Apple (as much as I hate it). I've tried twitter and everything and no one at Microsoft seems concerned. If I've gone through this many units, waited this long and still dont have a working unit; you would think someone would be jumping through hoops to help me. Instead I get generic smart *** answers from @Surface. F' this.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Well here is irony for you. While updating, the god damn thing crashed on the NVIDIA driver error and now when it try to update windows, it keeps erroring out. So now there is no way to update it. 5 Surface 2's later and still no fix, I'm about ready to dump this lemon and go Apple (as much as I hate it). I've tried twitter and everything and no one at Microsoft seems concerned. If I've gone through this many units, waited this long and still dont have a working unit; you would think someone would be jumping through hoops to help me. Instead I get generic smart *** answers from @Surface. F' this.

Ouch. You are more patient that I would be. I'm a "one and done" kinda guy. If I get a defective unit, I'll exchange it. But if the replacement is bad, then I'm done.

If you like the platform otherwise, I'd suggest "going backward" to an RT. It's cheaper ($199 on Black Friday) and apparently of higher quality. I know that this isn't a suggestion that would help you directly, sorry about that.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ouch. You are more patient that I would be. I'm a "one and done" kinda guy. If I get a defective unit, I'll exchange it. But if the replacement is bad, then I'm done.

If you like the platform otherwise, I'd suggest "going backward" to an RT. It's cheaper ($199 on Black Friday) and apparently of higher quality. I know that this isn't a suggestion that would help you directly, sorry about that.
This isn't patients. This is a man on a mission. This has now become a quest. I have spent countless hours trying to get one of these handful of devices to work properly, and I'll be damned if i dont figure this out....

thesmithiz

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Prior to the update I didn't have much in the way of problems other than messing with a Bluetooth issue that I final fixed. Now since the update the Bluetooth issue is back so whatever Bluetooth changes they made brought the problem back around for me.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
This isn't patients. This is a man on a mission. This has now become a quest. I have spent countless hours trying to get one of these handful of devices to work properly, and I'll be damned if i dont figure this out....

Manufacturing defects isn't something you "figure out." Take 'em back until you get a good one.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Manufacturing defects isn't something you "figure out." Take 'em back until you get a good one.
Well, aa of right now,iIjust bombed the whole device and did a fresh install. From there I was able to update it finally. I will run it through the ringer over the next day and see if that same crash reoccurs.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My Surface RT got a major update when I got it too. They had to fix the wifi and bluetooth problems it had. Not unusual for a new device to get updates right after launch.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, aa of right now,iIjust bombed the whole device and did a fresh install. From there I was able to update it finally. I will run it through the ringer over the next day and see if that same crash reoccurs.

Nope....was fine all day and then just crashed 5 minutes ago again. Close to giving up.

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well im very happy with the update so far! I've gotten a lot better battery life, I now get around 10 hours of use easily, with surfing, movie watching, some document editing, and even playing games!! :D
And my lock screen freezes has stopped as well.. now we just need NVIDIA to fix their drivers, I still get display driver crashes, and errors in the event log! But if this gets fixed, I'm out of things to complain bout! And the Surface 2 will be the device it should've been at launch imo! :)

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Well im very happy with the update so far! I've gotten a lot better battery life, I now get around 10 hours of use easily, with surfing, movie watching, some document editing, and even playing games!! :D
And my lock screen freezes has stopped as well.. now we just need NVIDIA to fix their drivers, I still get display driver crashes, and errors in the event log! But if this gets fixed, I'm out of things to complain bout! And the Surface 2 will be the device it should've been at launch imo! :)

I know I sounded like a whinny b***h, but I have been experiencing about 10 Nvidia crashes a day. Absolutely drives me nuts.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

My battery also seems significantly better. I hope it's not a placebo affect. Lol

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is the same, drains like a bathtub. Is there a way to sync mail to retrive it every hour instead of real time. ?

Yup. In mail, pull up charm bar and settings. Go to Accounts, and your email account. Change the sync time to 1 hour instead of 'when items arrive'.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

The only problem I was having was the sound wouldn't return to the speakers after using my headphones. The November update corrected that, yayyy!

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I sent my first Surface 2 back because of the crashing display issue. My replacement Surface 2 has been working fine for two weeks. I have all the latest updates installed. Today, the display crashed for the first time on this unit. I got the same pixelated screen of twitching rectangles. So for me, it seems safe to say the latest updates didn't fix the problem. Sigh...

Prior to this crash, I had been charging it and noticed the screen came on by itself. It was just sitting on my desk charging and the screen came on. I put it to sleep and let the Surface continue charging. A little while later, I noticed that it was in the process of rebooting itself (Surface logo was on the screen), still while charging. What the? Again, I put it to sleep and let it finish charging. Then after a little while longer, I pressed the Windows button to wake it up so I could check to see if it was fully charged yet. Well, nothing happened. It didn't wake up. I tried a few more times to wake it up, but the screen wouldn't come on. It made the audible sound, but didn't wake up. Finally, held down the power button. Then hit the power button again, and it came on. Everything seemed OK. Opened Mail to check my email, and the screen crashed. To say I was upset and disappointed to see that again is an understatement.

I'm going to call Surface support on Monday as a follow up to my original service tag to report this. Not sure yet if I want to return this unit or wait for the next round of updates. Has Microsoft even issued a statement about this problem? Do they know what's causing it? Are they working on a fix? Or is it hardware related and the unit is defective? I really like my Surface 2, but all these glitches are just unacceptable. If they can't fix this, I want my money back.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I sent my first Surface 2 back because of the crashing display issue. My replacement Surface 2 has been working fine for two weeks. I have all the latest updates installed. Today, the display crashed for the first time on this unit. I got the same pixelated screen of twitching rectangles. So for me, it seems safe to say the latest updates didn't fix the problem. Sigh...

Prior to this crash, I had been charging it and noticed the screen came on by itself. It was just sitting on my desk charging and the screen came on. I put it to sleep and let the Surface continue charging. A little while later, I noticed that it was in the process of rebooting itself (Surface logo was on the screen), still while charging. What the? Again, I put it to sleep and let it finish charging. Then after a little while longer, I pressed the Windows button to wake it up so I could check to see if it was fully charged yet. Well, nothing happened. It didn't wake up. I tried a few more times to wake it up, but the screen wouldn't come on. It made the audible sound, but didn't wake up. Finally, held down the power button. Then hit the power button again, and it came on. Everything seemed OK. Opened Mail to check my email, and the screen crashed. To say I was upset and disappointed to see that again is an understatement.

I'm going to call Surface support on Monday as a follow up to my original service tag to report this. Not sure yet if I want to return this unit or wait for the next round of updates. Has Microsoft even issued a statement about this problem? Do they know what's causing it? Are they working on a fix? Or is it hardware related and the unit is defective? I really like my Surface 2, but all these glitches are just unacceptable. If they can't fix this, I want my money back.

I completely agree. The fact they are saying NOTHING is what is pissing me off. I'm tired of the silent game and we have to guess what the situation is with the $500 brick they have sold us.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I completely agree. The fact they are saying NOTHING is what is pissing me off. I'm tired of the silent game and we have to guess what the situation is with the $500 brick they have sold us.
Wow. The parallels between the Zune and Surface continue to grow. The Zune 30 (1st gen) high quality, built like a tank. Zune 80 (2nd gen) short supply, quality control issues (hair under the glass!).

If the pattern holds true, the Surface 3 is going to be THE device to own!

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

You could get your money back, you know. You say you've gone through 5 of them. Time to cut your loses, or like someone else suggested, get one of the old RT's. Or a Pro. Or anything else that doesn't make you want break things. Life's too short, let it go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos