November Update

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
You could get your money back, you know. You say you've gone through 5 of them. Time to cut your loses, or like someone else suggested, get one of the old RT's. Or a Pro. Or anything else that doesn't make you want break things. Life's too short, let it go.
I said "brick", not "break".

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Today, I drove an hour to my nearest Microsoft Store with my second Surface 2 to exchange it because of the display crash issue. I showed them pictures of the pixelated screen and even took a printout of the Microsoft Community "Surface 2 Display Crash" thread for their reference. The associate I spoke to wasn't aware of the issue, but was very helpful and exchanged my Surface 2. Came home with my 3rd unit. Set-up went fine and then I proceeded to install updates. While the Surface was in the process of installing updates, the display crashed: the same pixelated screen of twitching rectangles. Oh no, not again! This is so unbelievably aggravating. I called the store and spoke to the same sales associate. He seems to think it could be one of the updates causing this issue, and suggested I reset it and not install the updates. To me, that really doesn't seem like a solution. I should be able to install updates without breaking my device. If only Microsoft would officially say something about this issue. I still have no idea if I have a defective device (for the third time), or if this is indeed caused by an update and can be fixed by another update. I'm torn about what to do. Return this for a refund (the sales associate said I could), or wait it out? How do we go about trying to get an answer about this from Microsoft?

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Today, I drove an hour to my nearest Microsoft Store with my second Surface 2 to exchange it because of the display crash issue. I showed them pictures of the pixelated screen and even took a printout of the Microsoft Community "Surface 2 Display Crash" thread for their reference. The associate I spoke to wasn't aware of the issue, but was very helpful and exchanged my Surface 2. Came home with my 3rd unit. Set-up went fine and then I proceeded to install updates. While the Surface was in the process of installing updates, the display crashed: the same pixelated screen of twitching rectangles. Oh no, not again! This is so unbelievably aggravating. I called the store and spoke to the same sales associate. He seems to think it could be one of the updates causing this issue, and suggested I reset it and not install the updates. To me, that really doesn't seem like a solution. I should be able to install updates without breaking my device. If only Microsoft would officially say something about this issue. I still have no idea if I have a defective device (for the third time), or if this is indeed caused by an update and can be fixed by another update. I'm torn about what to do. Return this for a refund (the sales associate said I could), or wait it out? How do we go about trying to get an answer about this from Microsoft?

I wish I could give you and answer, as I have been seeking out the exact same question. I have contacted @Surface on twitter about it. They claimed they never heard of the issue. I pointed them to the forum thread in the Microsoft Community. I asked what we should do about it. I in return was given the exact same link and told my answer could be found there. A)You got that link from me!!! B) No where in that thread does it say whether this is an issue that can be fixed with a firmware update and to hang on or if it is a hardware issue and just to call it quits. Why is it so hard for Microsoft to put our minds to easy and publicly address this issue, tell us what they know, and tell us what they want us to do?

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Good news! A Microsoft moderator finally posted the following response on the Microsoft Community "Surface 2 Display Crash" thread:

"There is a graphics issue on Surface 2 that is impacting a very limited number of users. We are happy to report that a fix will be delivered thru Windows Update on December 10[SUP]th[/SUP]. In the meantime, if you encounter an issue with incorrect images on your display on Surface 2, then restarting your device should relieve the issue temporarily prior to the permanent fix provided via the December update. If the issue persists, you can contact Surface Support to exchange your Surface."

So looks like a fix is coming on December 10th. Sadly, I had already returned my Surface 2 (the third one I had with the display crash issue) before I saw this post. Will be eager to see if this update solves the problem. If it does, then I'll probably go buy another one.

Here's a link to the Microsoft Community thread:
surface 2 display crash - Microsoft Community

malberti1993

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Good news! A Microsoft moderator finally posted the following response on the Microsoft Community "Surface 2 Display Crash" thread:

"There is a graphics issue on Surface 2 that is impacting a very limited number of users. We are happy to report that a fix will be delivered thru Windows Update on December 10[SUP]th[/SUP]. In the meantime, if you encounter an issue with incorrect images on your display on Surface 2, then restarting your device should relieve the issue temporarily prior to the permanent fix provided via the December update. If the issue persists, you can contact Surface Support to exchange your Surface."

So looks like a fix is coming on December 10th. Sadly, I had already returned my Surface 2 (the third one I had with the display crash issue) before I saw this post. Will be eager to see if this update solves the problem. If it does, then I'll probably go buy another one.

Here's a link to the Microsoft Community thread:
surface 2 display crash - Microsoft Community

I don't understand why they can't put out the patch now rather than have users still suffer with the problem.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why they can't put out the patch now rather than have users still suffer with the problem.

exactly what I was yelling about on their forum. This isn't some small glitch such as low volume or a slightly dim screen. Many of us can't run the thing for more than 10 minutes without it crashing, and they think waiting close to a another month is ok? I paid $500 for this... Not to sit around 45 days praying they fix this. RIDICULOUS. Issue an emergency update and screw your monthly schedule.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
exactly what I was yelling about on their forum. This isn't some small glitch such as low volume or a slightly dim screen. Many of us can't run the thing for more than 10 minutes without it crashing, and they think waiting close to a another month is ok? I paid $500 for this... Not to sit around 45 days praying they fix this. RIDICULOUS. Issue an emergency update and screw your monthly schedule.

Beyond my pay grade, but I wonder why something like this effects some and not others? same hardware, same OS. with any bug, not just your issue.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Beyond my pay grade, but I wonder why something like this effects some and not others? same hardware, same OS. with any bug, not just your issue.

All the units I have gotten home do it. So my guess is the issue affects them all, but until the unit is put on a load it doesn't icche.

GreatCanadian

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Don't have my Surface yet, but wondering is the issue happening on clean machines (right from the factory), or is a particular app or device driver (other than video) causing the issue after the user customizes the tablet.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft seems to not understand that when people buy a device they need to use it and not just sit around waiting for them to fix a problem. There's a return window that needs to be considered. And even if they acknowledge the problem and schedule a fix to be released, there is no guarantee that the fix will work.

They still appear to have an "Enterprise" mindset rather than a "consumer" mindset.

On a side note, be careful about mentioning multiple returns of your Surface here on this forum... You may be accused of being a shill from the competition spreading bad publicity.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Surface 2 last night and had 3 twitching rectangles crashes (one while trying to update). I used the update feature to update the software and was able to use the unit for about an hour and 1/2 before I went to bed, without an issue. I used it this morning to watch NBC News while I was getting ready for work (about an hour), with no issues. I'll test it out more tonight.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Surface 2 last night and had 3 twitching rectangles crashes (one while trying to update). I used the update feature to update the software and was able to use the unit for about an hour and 1/2 before I went to bed, without an issue. I used it this morning to watch NBC News while I was getting ready for work (about an hour), with no issues. I'll test it out more tonight.

Before the update, it was crashing approx every 10 min. With the new update its close to 30-60 min, making it less painful. But trust me, the update hasn't made it go away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss