Surface 2 vs. iPad, my thoughts.

GreatCanadian

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it gets old... but I didn't just lament in the abstract about it, I offered a real world example where it is impacting early adopters. What would YOU say to a person who is considering the purchase of a Surface with that example in mind?

The answer isn't for me, I've already purchased my RT. But for those yet to decide, an answer would be helpful.

Perhaps the same thing you'd say to someone who asks "Where is the card slot and full-size USB on your iPad". It seems to me that if an iPad lacks something, then it's not needed. But if another tablet lacks a particular app, then it's automatically inferior because the almighty iPad has it.

Last edited:

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps the same thing you'd say to someone who asks "Where is the card slot and full-size USB on your iPad". It seems to me that if an iPad lacks something, then it's not needed. But if another tablet lacks a particular app, then it's automatically inferior because the almighty iPad has it.

Exactly. The standard in alot of reviews starts with what the iPad does. If another tablet does something different that's strange or not needed. Example when talking about hardware the discussion is weight of the tablets not USB ports, hdmi port, key board, etc...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The App issue is a little annoying but I find it hard to criticise a 2 year old eco system. Apple wasn't much better when it started out. Windows growth is exponential though, due to the surge in the european markets it won't be long before windows catches up. Then we will have just as many S*** apps as iOS does so we can all rest easy lol

It's actually a one year old eco system really. You could add in some preview time before that but far from 2 years.

This market is continuing to expand will new options like the recent 8" tablets from Lenovo and Dell. Amazing hardware for way under iPad pricing. Black Friday RT pricing of $199 will shift those units too. Apple is one hardware vendor. In the PC land there are many selling such a variety of hardware that all now runs Windows 8 and the new store apps that market share will continue to grow as more of those devices are touch enabled.

You only have to go to BestBuy to see a stack of touch enabled options that are much more functional than an iPad.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
90% of the time, people use tablets (and even laptops) for the same thing. Browsing the internet and watching videos.

The surface 2 is better than the ipad at both these things.

Browsing isn't even close, ie is a full browser with the feel and security of a tablet browser like safari. Flash works, pandora works, everything renders perfectly, its awesome. This to me is the killer feature of this device. It's hard to explain, but you quickly realize that you no longer need to comprise your browsing experience because you're on a tablet.

Video is better on the surface because of the 16:9 aspect ratio and hdmi out.

Productivity, its a not contest. And this is a bigger deal that most realize, even for people who still have computers to compliment their tablets. On the road and need to make a quick edit to an email attachment? No problem with the surface.

The ipad is better for games, it has more games and the smaller size makes it more comfortable to hold.

The ipad is better for reading, again its the smaller size that gives it an edge. Although an e-ink device is better than any tablet for this.

The ipad is easier to use with one hand and standing up, again, because if its smaller size.

The ipad wins in the app department. But ill argue this. A large percentage of apps exist because phone/tablet browsers are limited. The surface doesn't have this problem. Again, all websites, including pandora work perfectly.

Hardware is a no contest in the surface's favor. Better construction, kickstand, more ports, expandable memory, in my opinion a more beautiful design. They keyboard cases are flat out sick. Nothing on the market compares.
the surface is a m*************g computer!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I would be more likely to take your response seriously if you didn't proceed to imply how somebody would react to such a question (re: where is the usb...).

Rather than set up strawmen arguments only to knock them down, how about offering some insight that could help others? I'm a fan of the Surface RT/2 and I'm running into real world scenarios where it is falling short. You can dismiss this scenario as one contrived to put the Surface in a bad light (which it's not) but then you are no better than the iPad apologists.

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Only if multitasking is the top priority.

I'm working on creating a mobile rig for recording and producing podcasts. The Surface RT jumped quickly to the front because it directly supports a variety of quality microphones like the Blue Yeti usb microphone. But that's where it ended... there is no podcast recording software for WinRT. :shocked: There are a bunch of audio recording apps, but these are all pretty much the same and don't offer the functionality that would be required for easily recording and producing a podcast.

So I switched to attempting this with the iPad 4. I needed to switch to a lower-powered usb mic. A Logitech wand usb mic works directly with the iPad 4 (w/usb dongle). Went to the iTunes app store and purchased "Boss Jock". This is a professional quality podcast recording app. As much as I wanted to use the RT, the iPad wins.

I don't want to harp on the app situation, but it is perhaps the single thing that will torpedo the platform.
Well, that's you.
For me (and we do have the Ipad air in the house), the Ipad is a toy in comparason, caus untill I can do homework, sitting in my Chair, doing dual screen With 6-8 apps working split out over the two screens like this, it's just not productive enough ( the ipad that is)

Attachments

• 2013-11-12-6904.jpg
    2013-11-12-6904.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

GreatCanadian

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Whether you take my response seriously or not matters little to me. I did not imply anything. - you inferred. There is a difference.
Prospective buyer's question to me: What app do I use for podcast recording on the Surface 2
My response: There isn't one

Prospective buyer's question to you: Where is the full size USB port on your iPad
Your response: There isn't one

That's all I was pointing out. I said our responses would have to be the same.

The rest of my post was not aimed at you, but at a common trend amongst those who find a way to turn iPad negatives into unnecessities (if that's a word!)

And please don't give me a hard time 'cause my tablet is a PlayBook!!:crying:

I would be more likely to take your response seriously if you didn't proceed to imply how somebody would react to such a question (re: where is the usb...).

Rather than set up strawmen arguments only to knock them down, how about offering some insight that could help others? I'm a fan of the Surface RT/2 and I'm running into real world scenarios where it is falling short. You can dismiss this scenario as one contrived to put the Surface in a bad light (which it's not) but then you are no better than the iPad apologists.

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I bought my surface two from Walmart and in 10 days it arrived at my doorstep in Trinidad. Hooray. That's until I unboxed the box and logged in with my msn account. I never had the surface rt but this surface 2 was glitch. From the first boot up things such as the swiping down to close apps and across to fast resume others had it permanently freezing the tablet. Trying to use the camera app was a disaster as it kept causing the device to severely lag. Within the first 3 hours of frustratingly toying around with it and having to restart it 4 times because it simply froze, I took it off and went to be. By the morning I was back at it, only this time it was as though someone replaced the darn thing or sprayed antifreeze on it. I've had it on all day and the thing works buttery smooth. Not sure what the problem was last night but tonight i'm watching nba broadband on it. Surface 2 on day-2 ROCKS!!!

GreatCanadian

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
My first guess is that it was perhaps performing updates in the background. Just a guess though.

Okay so I bought my surface two from Walmart and in 10 days it arrived at my doorstep in Trinidad. Hooray. That's until I unboxed the box and logged in with my msn account. I never had the surface rt but this surface 2 was glitch. From the first boot up things such as the swiping down to close apps and across to fast resume others had it permanently freezing the tablet. Trying to use the camera app was a disaster as it kept causing the device to severely lag. Within the first 3 hours of frustratingly toying around with it and having to restart it 4 times because it simply froze, I took it off and went to be. By the morning I was back at it, only this time it was as though someone replaced the darn thing or sprayed antifreeze on it. I've had it on all day and the thing works buttery smooth. Not sure what the problem was last night but tonight i'm watching nba broadband on it. Surface 2 on day-2 ROCKS!!!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
iPad's software was once kick I agree but since iOS7 don't get your hopes up. it really isn't the OS you expect. It is really buggy as is OSX mavericks
True. My iPad 4 and MacBook Pro will be the last Apple devices I purchase. I'm not pleased with iOS7 (on one of my test iPhone 4's) nor am happy with that abomination commonly known as OSX Mavericks. There's a reason why Apple made that "free"

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Not a huge iPad fan since they have not innovated in years, but to Apple's credit, they have stable software that doesn't reboot, freeze up, lock down every day, Surface 2 sadly does...Surface 2 is a MUCH better device in nearly every other respect (but stable system software is critical).

Ron
When your Surface 2 locks up does is create glitches or artifacts on the screen? That is what mine is doing, and Microsoft is sending me another one as they say my device is defective. I would contact them if this condition persists.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I beg to differ. I returned my Surface 2 and got the iPad mini with retina display. For browsing and movies, iPad all the way. Try laying in bed and holding the Surface 2 for 20-30 mins, and I'm guessing you browse in landscape mode only?

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
As for the topic, I came from an IPad 2 to the Surface 2. I am forced to agree with the OP. The Surface 2 is a great device, and I am trying to migrate everything to it, but there are still some games and apps I use that are not on the Microsoft echo system as of yet. Here is hoping this continues to improve.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I still have my ipad3 and use it for certain functions. The KB tho has always been laggy to register key presses on the iPad. Annoying to say the least always waiting for it to catch up. The surface2 kb is spot on, no lag at all and also guesses the needed correction better. I'm really beginning to enjoy sending longer emails on the surface 2 using the kb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234