What's the back of your Surface 2 look like?

immy79

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
So, I've had my Surface since launch day and I love it! However, I'm not loving how easily scratched the back is getting. My surface stays at home and doesn't travel much, pretty much living on my coffee table. But I've been noticing the back is getting pretty scratched despite not rubbing against much of anything. I thought this thing was metal? It feels like some paint finish is coming off. (Have also noticed "chipping" around the microsd card slot.)

Anyone else?

Jimmy

Saurabh3321

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Waattt that's the last thing i needed to know
Regardless of how much i love this thing, i was let down by backlight bleed and now this.
I gotta keep it wrapped in neoprene ��

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any scratches on mine yet. Granted it stays home so far, had it since launch. I generally keep it in a couple different locations inside the house. I do have a nice case for travelling that should protect it. But I gotta wonder why so many can have scratches if their not tossing it about or possibly using it flat, no kickstand on a tabletop maybe could do it. I do have a kb2 and a mouse, I rarely even touch the screen and its almost always on the kickstand. But I do take impeccable care of my stuff. I guess I got lucky and got one of the good ones, no light bleed,vol rocker loose or screen freezes yet either. (knock wood) I'm hoping the latest update is helping my battery. It was fine before but could be better always ;)

immy79

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I fully expect it to get scratches and scuffs on it over time. It is a mobile device after all. I'm just surprised at how quickly and easily it is happening. I take great care of my stuff as well. It's often used on my lap with the kickstand. And if ots used flat, the touch cover is folded back anyway. So, I dunno. I guess this is just one of those "glad I'm not the only one" sanity check posts.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No scratches here. My Surface did get one long deep scratch on the back but I traded it in for credit towards my S2.

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I won't pretend that I take mine everywhere, but I use it a fair bit with no case, and it looks like it did the day I got it. Not a scratch on it.

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Same with mine. I'm fairly careful but there are some noticeable scratches on the back, with the bare metal showing through what looks like a paint type of coating :(

stuartbritt

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Here's what mine looks like. They don't look as bad on the photo as they do in real life, but you can still see them.

Attachments

• surface 2 scratches.jpg
    surface 2 scratches.jpg
    833.7 KB · Views: 7

Saurabh3321

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Ouch that looks bad!
I'm not putting my surface on any other hard surface!
Btw that pic looks like it was rubbed on the floor with some sand on it.
I wonder why it is that easy to scratch.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I guess they might use some different material than on original Surface RT? I've had my Surface RT since it originally became available. It travels a lot with me and at home it's also functioning as "just a tablet" and it's still totally pristine outside fingerprints. That said.. I guess I often set it down on the kickstand when not in use and if not with kickstand, I often have the touchcover folder back between the table and the Surface.. but still, over a year of like everyday use and still totally pristine.

jMawl

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
When you were having backlight bleeding and loose volume rocker issues and the MS support person said to "rub some dirt on it" he was just kidding :)

Seriously, that looks terrible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs