surface RT- Still fast?

nube_android

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
So I saw a Surface RT black friday ad for $199, and I am considering purchasing it on Black Friday. But is it fast enough? I don't expect for it to be screeching fast, but would the performance levels be similar to a Lumia 920 loading apps and stuff? Did they fix the Tegra lag?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree, the 8.1 update appears to have improved the Surface. If you buy one my advice would be update as soon as you get it then do a refresh of the OS then run Windows Update. It should be good to go after that. I had some minor issues after the update (IE buggy and slow, and a few other things) that were cured by the 8.1 update and subsequent Windows Update patches. My Surface is running very well now.

Brenetics

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
8.1 has made a pretty big difference. Its what windows 8 RT should have been in the first place. *If* you can get it for $200 then definitely get it. The S2 isn't worth $250 more than the OG, but it is worth $100 more. So my suggestion would be to only get it if you can snag it for $200.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
$199 is cheap but the rt is not fast pre or post update. If it is faster, not by much because its still laggy.

I'd wait for surface 2 sale instead of rt. But 200 is cheap if u really want.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
It is not fast. Faster than when it first came out? Sure. But it's still laggy. I did some comparisons with my S2 and my dad's RT, and there's just such a difference.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
$199 is cheap but the rt is not fast pre or post update. If it is faster, not by much because its still laggy.

I'd wait for surface 2 sale instead of rt. But 200 is cheap if u really want.

I have both, as an early RT adopter and recently picked up a S2. You definitely want to save up for the Surface 2, it's far superior and more future proof (miracast support as the prime example). Don't get me wrong, the Surface RT is a good/very good device but it is slow and the S2 is well worth the higher cost. Had considered getting a SP2 for the intel processor but am really happy now.

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
This is my experience. If you play lots of games and/or work with many word windows, go for S2. If you mostly browse the web and watch videos the RT is good enough. I have both.

Edit: Didn't read your op enough. The RT takes a little longer to open apps compared to WP but if you have them in the background they open instantly.

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have a Surface RT with WIN 8.1. It works well for me. I use it for surfing the web, intensive Microsoft applications, and a mail server. I also use it for Remote Desktop connection and it works really well.

So, I recommend the RT highly.

Nevica

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You can speed up the Surface 1 by disabling all the animation & pretty screen settings etc, this has made an incredible difference to mine, so much so that screen-switching is near as damnit instant, and app loading doesn't seem particularly laggy.

I was itching to upgrade to the surface 2, but I'd only just bought my surface 1 when they announced the second one (FFS), so I'll hang on for the surface 3.

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Racing Snake,

I feel the same as you. I bought the RT just before the Surface 2 was released. I am going to get the Surface 3 when it is released (Tegra 5 or Qualcomm ?)

Nevica

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99