Play To Xbox Not Working

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you had come across this problem: when I try to use the Play To Xbox 360 function under the Devices charm, I'm told that the app can't share right now. This has worked before 8.1 came out and it's bugging me pretty badly. Thanks!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you had come across this problem: when I try to use the Play To Xbox 360 function under the Devices charm, I'm told that the app can't share right now. This has worked before 8.1 came out and it's bugging me pretty badly. Thanks!

The basic W8.1 apps like music, video, etc. don't work with Play. It apparently changed with the 8.1 update.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
That's not quite true. A recent update added back in the "Play To" support in Music. The problem is that there used to be two separate options. When playing Xbox Music content (aka, DRM protected content), there was an option "Play on Xbox" that basically sent a link to the Xbox to automatically play that content on the Xbox's "Xbox Music" app (and then it plays independently of the Surface). When playing DRM-free MP3 content, there's the "Play To" option, for which the 360 is a receiver. That option decodes the music on your Surface, and then sends that stream to your Xbox.

In the newest revision of the 8.1 Music app, the "Play To" option is back. The "Play on Xbox" option no longer is there. I suspect you're trying to use the "Play To" option as if it was the other, and that's why it's not working.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99