Surface RT + $199 (Black Friday Deal)= Worth it?

GiftedSoul

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I'm new to the Microsoft Community (just moved from Nexus 4 to Lumia 920 and LOVE IT!!). I was looking around in my local Best Buy store and came across the Surface line of Tablets offered by Microsoft; to be honest I used to scoff at the idea of a pure Windows tablet as it wasn't as user friendly or down right appealing as the iPad. Windows Phone and Windows 8 completely changed my idea of an all Windows tablet and I'm looking to adopt more into the ecosystem. This brings me to my question (as you saw in the thread title). Best Buy and Microsoft as you may well know plan to offer the Surface RT for $199 without the Cover, and I wanted to know if it was worth purchasing (I know the Surface 2 is out, but for $499, it's just out of the question). I'm not really concerned about specs too much as long as it can open and close apps without too much of an issue; Apps aren't that big of a deal for me as I only use Facebook, Twitter, AllRecipes, Nook or Kindle, check some tech news via The Verge, TechnoBuffalo and Cnet, and go to Amazon and JackThreads every now and then. I'm coming from an iPad 2 and I'm not particularly excited about getting another "thinner, lighter, hey guys it Twitter refreshes 2 seconds faster woo hoo" tablet that really hasn't changed much outside of iOS look and feel. So just to give a basic set of questions to make my point, how does the Surface RT (outside of App Selection) compare to the iPad 2 and is it worth making the switch on Black Friday for a $199 pricetag? Thanks in Advance!

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, the big pluses in the Surface RTs corner are: lots of ports (full USB, microSD, HD video), a browser that supports Flash, MS Office being included, better multi-tasking and multi-user support. But you don't seem to be looking at those either as pluses for your needs.
Your stated needs seem to be just for browsing a couple of websites, using a couple of apps, the tablet not being very laggy and a 'fresher' or perhaps different UI than that of iOS. Surface RT or any other mainstream Android tablet should work for you. You've had a Nexus and seem to like the Metro UI, so you already have an idea of the UIs of both. Android lets you load different browsers, if you find IE too limiting. I say 'mainstream' Android tablet as an alternative because there is a flood of very cheap Android tablets that are, lets say underwhelming.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Ok, you said "outside app selection" comparing the RT to the iPad 2... the RT at $199 is an absolute steal! App selection aside, it blows my iPad 4 away. In some respects it is actually BETTER than the Surface 2. If the reports of problems on this forum is indicative of overall build quality, the RT is a bit better.

I highly recommend buying the Type Cover 2 if you want to do any extensive typing on it. The keyboard is absolutely amazing. A insanely thin cover/keyboard with actual keys. Terrific! I'd also recommend a bluetooth mouse (the trackpad on all of the covers is pretty bad). For stylus, a high recommendation for the Adonit Jot ($15 @ Walmart.com)

Check out this video (often posted here) and tell ME that it isn't worth $199 (regardless of what tablet one currently owns)::evil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYf5MWyTn8

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
@WillysJeepMan
Thanks's for linking the great video. After watching it I have no idea why so many tech sites bash the Surface RT, at $199 you just can't get a better tablet, period.

Last edited:

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Heads up. Micro Center will be selling Surface RT with keyboard for $179. Better deal if you have a MC near you. First 100 people in line will get it.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you have a Costco account, they have the venue 8 pro for 229.99 plus 9.99 shipping and tax. I just ordered two.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got an RT at eBay's black Friday sale for $169.99. Yeah, it's a mfg refurb & no touch cover keyboard, but it has a one year warranty and it keeps my ash away from the mad crush at the stores. I'd be happy to pay a few bucks more for that alone, but for this, I didn't have to.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...732&mpre=http://www.ebay.com/itm/181265693099

Feel bad for the people who unknowingly paid $279.99 very recently from the same place.

Edit: wow, according to item description, they sold ~800 units in the 20 minutes since I bought mine.

Arenzael

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried to get one from Microsoft's Early Special, but after a hour of their online store being down, I just got that one from eBay. They're up to 2150 sold now!!
I would have preferred a new one from MS, but hopefully this one will be in good condition, and saves $30 + Tax (another $20 for me)

Thanks for the Link! And the youtube video showing some of the cool stuff it can do.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I tried to get one from Microsoft's Early Special, but after a hour of their online store being down, I just got that one from eBay. They're up to 2150 sold now!!
I would have preferred a new one from MS, but hopefully this one will be in good condition, and saves $30 + Tax (another $20 for me)

Thanks for the Link! And the youtube video showing some of the cool stuff it can do.
I bought a manufacturer refurbed unit off of ebay from the same seller 2 months ago. It was absolutely immaculate and indistinguishable from "new". Many, many others have said the same thing.

Over 5500 sold as I type. If you think this is crazy, wait for the coming days. The RT is going to be the "sleeper" must-have gadget this holiday season.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I pulled the trigger on this too. I finally will complete my whole Microsoft ecosystem. Now I have to decided between all my Apple stuff and Microsoft stuff. Its going to be a fun year.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Well, I pulled the trigger on this too. I finally will complete my whole Microsoft ecosystem. Now I have to decided between all my Apple stuff and Microsoft stuff. Its going to be a fun year.
Ha! I've been in the Apple camp for the last 4+ years, but I haven't been pleased with where they're going, so I started looking around at going back to Windows/Microsoft... it started with my Zune HD 8 months ago, and then the RT a few months ago. Yesterday I picked up a Lumia 520 for $66 (no contract) for use with my Straight Talk (AT&T mvno) micro SIM that had been in my iPhone 4 for the last 1.5 years. Neat little phone and amazing for the price. Love no-contract GSM service!

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
About the same story here. I'm mostly just so tired of paying so much money for not a whole lot more functionality. Apple stuff is nice but just so freaking expensive when other gadgets do almost everything (and sometimes more) they do for so much less.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I was going to suggest the manufacturers refurbish RT on EBay also but I see I've been beaten to it. I actually canceled an earlier order from Best Buy. How the hell can you beat an window RT tablet for $169.99 to go with my windows 8.1 laptop and 1520 I just picked up?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought a manufacturer refurbed unit off of ebay from the same seller 2 months ago. It was absolutely immaculate and indistinguishable from "new". Many, many others have said the same thing.

This is great to hear. I'm wondering if these units ship with 8.1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

SnuggleTheBear

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I ended up buying the refurbished off of eBay also, but this will be my first tablet. Now I know I want a keyboard, but not sure to either go the cheap route with a Touch Cover or go ahead and buy a Type Cover 2. I won't do extensive typing, but I would imagine I would rather type on some type of keyboard than the screen. Any thoughts?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Aww man, no uk shipping on the ebay sale :(.. you guys always get the good the stuff lol... first gen surface still being sold for ?280 here...

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I've only used the touch covers on both Surfaces. Not because they are cheaper, but I'm just like you. Don't type term papers and such from it. Just need it every now and then and it's a great cover! Find a good, almost new one on eBay or something.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Over 5500 sold as I type. If you think this is crazy, wait for the coming days. The RT is going to be the "sleeper" must-have gadget this holiday season.

Given how many extra units Microsoft has lying around maybe they are just selling new units as refurbished to save face.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium