Surface RT + $199 (Black Friday Deal)= Worth it?

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I just bought one for $200 on the Microsoft Store website. If only the Type Cover 2 was on sale, though. I don't really think I should pay more than half of what I paid for the tablet on a keyboard...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think I'm going with the E-Bay refurbo (if approved by the wife)

Since my ASUS TF700T flipped me off I've been wanting another tab.
I just didn't want it to be another Andread tablet.
From what I've seen of Windows tabs I feel they are ages ahead of anything else.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Been reading all morning and i'm trying to decide if the Dell Venue 8 Pro is worth the extra money. Anyone use both or can clue me in on how they compare in real life?

Edit: Nevermind, I did enough research to answer my questions. I'm a pretty lightweight user (mostly web browsing), so ill be sticking with the Surface RT.

Thanks again pseudoware for the link! I would have never found it otherwise!

Last edited:

TachyonicCargo

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to add to the Surface RT sale madness, but Walmart has the 64GB version on sale for $248 [unadvertised]. This is a super sweet deal, because last check, Windows 8 eats 14GB, almost half of Surface RT's 32GB of onboard storage, only leaving 18GB of actual storage on the standard Surface RT.

Walmart has the Surface RT 32GB with Touch Cover for $249.99

Staples has the Surface RT 32GB with Touch Cover for $249.99

Staples has the Surface Pro 64GB for $549.00

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to add to the Surface RT sale madness, but Walmart has the 64GB version on sale for $248 [unadvertised]. This is a super sweet deal, because last check, Windows 8 eats 14GB, almost half of Surface RT's 32GB of onboard storage, only leaving 18GB of actual storage on the standard Surface RT.

Walmart has the Surface RT 32GB with Touch Cover for $249.99

Staples has the Surface RT 32GB with Touch Cover for $249.99

Staples has the Surface Pro 64GB for $549.00

Staples has had the Surface Pro 64gb for $549 for the past week or so. I've gone to a couple stores and checked online daily and have yet to see it in stock. I've had less then stellar experiences with Staples and this is just another reason not to spend my money there. $549 seems it'd be a smoking deal.

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Picked up the $169 eBay return for my wife for Xmas. So far almost 12,000 sold. I'm still holding out for a special on the S2. My wife doesn't need the extras you get with S2 but I want them. If no specials come about I'll be picking up an S2 for my wife to give to me as a combined Xmas/Bday present. But at $169, how can you go wrong.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see, but they had touch covers for 39.99 if you buy this surface on ebay. Only if you buy Surface, otherwise it is 79.99. But I didn't buy it when I bought the Surface , and now I can not add it to my purchase

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Staples will price match Micro Center deal (just show deal on your phone). I had to go to 4 different Staples stores to find some in stock but all were willing to match the price. Ended up getting 2. Won't have to wait till 8 for MC deal.

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Staples Office Store is also offering a Black Friday deal on 32 GB RT w Touch Cover for $249. Same price as Walmart, but probably easier to get in and out. If you go, they also have PNY flash drives... 128 GB for $70.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
in a word, no. just get a dell venue 8 pro or any of the new 8" tablets coming out. they're all going to be faster and lighter, with the same selection of apps.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
in a word, no. just get a dell venue 8 pro or any of the new 8" tablets coming out. they're all going to be faster and lighter, with the same selection of apps.
There's 7 strikes against it...

1) It's Dell
2) 8" screen
3) micro USB (not full USB)
4) No HDMI
5) No microSD
6) No TypeCover
7) $299

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I got in on the Microcenter deal. We got there about 6:15 and they opened at 8. Ad said they had a min of 100 but the manager said they had 300 in stock. We were right about #100 do until they handed out the flyers at 7:30 we were sweating it.

But, I'm happy with our purchase...the Mrs said I can't open it until Christmas though...booooooo!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to comment to say the $199 deal at Best Buy was a huge success. My store alone had to have sold over 100 of them. Sold them out completely, same with our surrounding stores! It was awesome! Not to mention most of them were paired with touch or type covers!

ChrisInSD

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Oh snap! You're right.
That's a killer deal.

No it's not. Might I say, "Dude, you're getting a Dell"

Besides, none of other strikes addressed. Surface is as much a design statement as a gadget anyway. I picked mine up for $350 at MSFT store today with extended warranty, keyboard, case, screen protector and think it's a helluva deal--they had a line still at 7pm so seems like $200 may be magic price to move this thing.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
No it's not. Might I say, "Dude, you're getting a Dell"

Besides, none of other strikes addressed. Surface is as much a design statement as a gadget anyway. I picked mine up for $350 at MSFT store today with extended warranty, keyboard, case, screen protector and think it's a helluva deal--they had a line still at 7pm so seems like $200 may be magic price to move this thing.

The Dell is a great deal. Especially if it comes with Office.

That doesn't mean the Surface isn't a great deal. I bought mine at full price and love it.

ctitanic

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The Surface RT for less than $200 is a great deal as long as you keep in mind that it's 3 times slower than the Surface 2. A little faster than a iPad 2, a little slower than an iPad 3 to give some references. There are already some games at MS store that won't run to well in a Surface RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12