Do I really need a keyboard?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Anyone use their RT primarily without a keyboard, or have found that one isn't really necessary for what you do on your RT? Just wondering. I just got a "black Friday" RT online w/o the touch cover keyboard and am wondering what other peoples' experiences have been.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's probably something that will be user-dependent. Some people might need a keyboard, whereas others will not, depending on what each person does with the device and how comfortable he/she is with touchscreen.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Anyone use their RT primarily without a keyboard, or have found that one isn't really necessary for what you do on your RT? Just wondering. I just got a "black Friday" RT online w/o the touch cover keyboard and am wondering what other peoples' experiences have been.
I'll be bold and say, yes you NEED a keyboard. The RT is an "ok" device when used strictly as a tablet. The 16:9 aspect ratio causes a large portion of the screen to be covered by the onscreen keyboard. Where the RT really shines is when there is a keyboard. And when you start using the RT for those things that the RT can do (that other tablets can't) you'll appreciate having a keyboard.

Not getting the touch cover with the RT was actually a good thing, IMO. Save your money and buy a Type Cover 2. That thing is amazing. I bought a refurb RT bundle with keyboard a few months ago and while the touch cover was "ok", I felt that it was still lacking. But for nearly the same thickness, to have a keyboard cover with actual keys, made quite a difference. Keep in mind that all of the trackpads on any of these covers are not so hot. :(

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I bought my RT at launch without a keyboard. There was a period where I was doing a lot of work on it so went out and bought a MS wedge Bluetooth keyboard which worked perfectly but also meant I could just leave the keyboard at work and use the RT as a tablet on my commute and at home.

All comes down to how you intend on using it, as Willy mentioned the on screen keyboard takes up a lot of room.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I got a touch cover with mine. Couldn't get on with it (personal preference I guess). Grabbed a wedge keyboard, it's awesome. Same reason as martinmc78 - just pick up the Surface out of the "cradle stand" the wedge keyboard cover makes and use it as a tablet, return it to stand I've got a desktop replacement really. I use the wedge mouse with it too. Has made a real difference when moving around - don't have to lug a multi-kilo laptop around with me, but still have access to everything I could possibly need.
It's a personal choice though.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You will find some websites that you can't navigate without a keyboard. That is the moment that you would say... damn.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
For casual web surfing and email you can get by without a keyboard but the touch cover is nice to have and if you're going to do any sort of serious writing, a must.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You will find some websites that you can't navigate without a keyboard. That is the moment that you would say... damn.

I have both keyboards. I do a lot of document editing, so a keyboard is imperative to me.

I find more websites need a mouse/pointer, than a keyboard. A lot of sites have the drop down box, that requires a pointer to hover on to get the selections. More times than not, if a website needs input, the onscreen keyboard will work just fine.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, what did i just said. I meant enter text... Although the disappearing on screen keyboard issues have subsided.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa