Asus Transformer vs Surface 2

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Interested to know what you guys think of the Asus T100 Transformer vs. The Surface 2. I'm basically weighing the pros and cons.

Right off the bat for $379 (WalMart sale price) you can get the Asus T100, full Windows 8.1 powered by an Intel Quad core Bay Trail processor @ 1.86GHz. 2GB DDR3 Ram, 64GB SSD Hard Drive, 10.1" IPS HD (1366x768), USB 3.0,micro USB, micro SD, microHDMI out port. AND a pretty decent working keyboard is included for the price.

For $379 (holiday price), the Surface 2 has much better build quality including a built in kickstand and a much sharper and brighter display. It has a much more powerful Tegra 4 processor. Both devices have Office preloaded.

Glaring differences for the price?

The Asus has a keyboard included. The Surface keyboard is sold seperately for $79 (touch cover). The type cover is $129. The Surface 2 does NOT run native Windows programs, the Asus does albeit with a less snappy processor.

I may have missed a point or feature here or there but can anyone give me a compelling reason to purchase the Surface 2 with a type /touch cover over the Asus?

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Build quality on the S2 is much better. Asus comes with a keyboard, yes, but, I've read some pretty poor reviews on it. Also, if you don't want to install legacy apps, the full W8.1 doesn't mean much.

The $379 you quote, I assume that's actually for the first Gen Surface. I've not seen anyone discounting the new Surface and don't expect it since everyone has sold out of them at full price. Best I'm expecting is maybe another $50 off any tablet from Staples. I hope I'm wrong. But doubt it.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Sean. I thought the ability to run legacy programs was a big deal especially with Windows store still falling a bit short in the apps department...

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Sean. I thought the ability to run legacy programs was a big deal especially with Windows store still falling a bit short in the apps department...

It is a big deal to some, but for others, it may not be. Most of my personal use is wasting time on the internet or using media apps, such as Hulu or Netflix. I do make use of Office and Remote Desktop, but I also have a relatively decent laptop for intensive use (RMM tools and virtualization).

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes it's a big deal to some but not everyone. Most of what I want to use the S2 for (don't have one yet, but expect to for Xmas) I can do with Office and what I can get on the App Store. So for me, build quality is top on the list of important attributes, not being able to install Photo Shop or some Cad program 😉

oion_net

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Falling short in what exactly? You say nothing of your actual use case.

Unless you're stuck on specific apps or need Chrome/whatever, most users actually will do fine with Office and the built-in IE11 browser. Keep in mind that iPad's Safari is balls, which is why so many web apps exist for it. If games are a big deal, then neither products are that superb (go for a Surface Pro 2 instead) in that there aren't as many app games for Win8/RT and the puny Atom specs aren't going to run a lot of games comfortably either. You're going to end up with a compromise either way depending on preferences. For example, legacy Windows applications are not touch-friendly and often don't respect resolution scaling; using super-tiny menus on a 10-inch screen without good pen support is going to be a pain (unless you don't plan on using any legacy software most of the time). If you do plan on using certain legacy software often enough, you'd need a dock/hub with externals to get more out of it, just as people do for the Surface Pro. But if a mobile device isn't going to be useful for you most of the time unless it's docked, then you should probably reconsider a tablet in the first place.

I wrote an editorial/review for the Surface for people who have no experience with the Surface beyond public perception, but it is long because it's more analytical of the product line and misconceptions: What happened to the first generation of Surface? | oion's gallimaufry

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Interested to know what you guys think of the Asus T100 Transformer vs. The Surface 2. I'm basically weighing the pros and cons.

Right off the bat for $379 (WalMart sale price) you can get the Asus T100, full Windows 8.1 powered by an Intel Quad core Bay Trail processor @ 1.86GHz. 2GB DDR3 Ram, 64GB SSD Hard Drive, 10.1" IPS HD (1366x768), USB 3.0,micro USB, micro SD, microHDMI out port. AND a pretty decent working keyboard is included for the price.

For $379 (holiday price), the Surface 2 has much better build quality including a built in kickstand and a much sharper and brighter display. It has a much more powerful Tegra 4 processor. Both devices have Office preloaded.

Glaring differences for the price?

The Asus has a keyboard included. The Surface keyboard is sold seperately for $79 (touch cover). The type cover is $129. The Surface 2 does NOT run native Windows programs, the Asus does albeit with a less snappy processor.

I may have missed a point or feature here or there but can anyone give me a compelling reason to purchase the Surface 2 with a type /touch cover over the Asus?
Others have done a good job of outlining the differences.

It might be helpful to ask yourself how do you envision using the device? Mostly as a tablet that can operate as a netbook, or a netbook that can operate as a tablet?

If you are looking to use the device primarily as a tablet that can also operate as a netbook, then I'd recommend the Surface 2 with the Type Cover 2. (owning both the Type Cover and Touch Cover in my opinion the added cost of the Type Cover is worth it) In "tablet mode" you'll want to use modern UI apps. The selection in RT App store is still very poor, but it is getting better. Adjusting expectations and workflow can help reduce frustration. The Asus running full Windows means that it CAN run x86 legacy apps, but those apps are NOT designed for touch usage. Although it is technically possible to use the desktop with a finger, it can be highly frustrating. So in using the device as a tablet, x86 support really is of no benefit.

If you are looking to use the device primarily as a netbook that can also operate as a tablet, then I'd recommend the Asus. The obvious reason being the x86 legacy support.

I'm a big fan of the Surface RT/2 but I can be objective about its limitations. Hope this helps.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Excellent points. So much does depend on everyday usage. Im interested in the flexibility of the surface platform and admittedly legacy programs aren't a huge sticking point for me and I prefer the outstanding build quality of the surface line. Just find the whole package, 64g, new touch cover a little too pricey right now. Appreciate the insights!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs