Do you see a situation.....?

steelejones100

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Where in less than 12months we actually will be running Windows Phone OS on the surface RT machines? This may ruffle some feathers but I wish we had it NOW, i prefer my windows phone OS to my RT.

And reading some news where people are microsoft are already saying that shortly we will NOT have three windows 8 OS's. RT has to give ?

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know... I really like WP8, but still there're many things I want on winRT. Hope they would merge it into one, not discard one.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Nothing has been confirmed by Microsoft as to how this will all happen. I very much doubt that WP will just replace RT. We know that they are wanting to merge the stores between WP and Windows, so apps can be more easily developed for both platforms. The merging of the two OS's, if it will be a complete merge, will happen at a much later date I would think.

steelejones100

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I personally do not believe they have 'much later date' type of time, the landscape is moving much too quickly. They are making some small inroads with mass user adoption of WP, it in my opinion needs to be sooner than later. The app store in WP is WAY better than RT. Apps drive adoption still

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the sooner the better :) The trouble is, I think it's a much bigger task than it looks from the outside. I'm not a developer/programmer, but I would think there is quite a lot of work involved in merging two major pieces of software like this together. I think just merging the stores will be seen as a big step forward. If this happens and it does indeed mean developers only need to make minor changes to port an app over from a phone based OS to a Tablet OS, this would definitely mean more apps and more adoption of both platforms, which would be great to see. It's going to be an interesting year or two ahead for Microsoft.

Pinchscape

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe Microsoft want to run a single windows kernel for all devices which means windows phone most likely to get the chop in my opinion. But in sure there would be support for running what will become legacy WP apps within the RT for phone operating system.
We've had top guys from Microsoft at our investment bank and they made it pretty clear that the Windows Runtime OS is going to remain front and center in their future strategy. I think its a good thing as RT is more capable that WP, and im sure it'll accelerate feature implementation on the platform.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Windows RT > WP8 any day of the week! If anything id rather have RT on my phone! But I do like what they are doing, each OS is learning and taking things from the other. Combined app stores would be nice, but the layout of RT works well on tablets and the layout of WP works well on phones and I don't think they should at all share the same exact OS.

steelejones100

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Shared App store, unsure how that would work for developers. You have mini screens on phones and 10" screen on tablets. But I know I want the WP apps on my RT quickly! haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss