SD card as default storage

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello again,

this is the second question I have for this Forum :)

I want my Surface to save files on the SD Card by Default. I did activate this in the Settings. When I check in my libraries the Default storage is set the the corresponding Folder on the SD Card (SD:/Pictures for Pictures etc.) so actually it should work. To test this I took a screenshot and also took some photos with the camera. Here's the Thing: they are all saved on the local storage even though all Settings seem to be just fine...

Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You need to go into the metro settings pane, under PC and devices, choose divides... in the bottom of that pane you can choose to use you SD card as the default place to save pictures, music and video! :)

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You need to go into the metro settings pane, under PC and devices, choose divides... in the bottom of that pane you can choose to use you SD card as the default place to save pictures, music and video! :)

Does this work with documents too? And with Outlook (the app from the Desktop, that is) files?

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply but as I stated in my original post, I did activate it in the Settings but it isn't working for some reason. Just to clarify this: The whole topic is about why it doesn't work even though all Settings are correct...

Patric.Z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply but as I stated in my original post, I did activate it in the Settings but it isn't working for some reason. Just to clarify this: The whole topic is about why it doesn't work even though all Settings are correct...

just move your pciture/video/music folders to SD card. There's an option in folder properties.

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
just move your pciture/video/music folders to SD card. There's an option in folder properties.
Dude! That was it! Thanks a lot :)
But now I have another Problem. Now that the Pictures are located on the SD Card, I can no longer delete them from inside the Photos App. It says it can't move the Picture to the recycle bin. I have to go to Desktop mode and delete the file there. I guess Windows thinks that the Photos App doesn't have the permission to delete something from the SD Card. Can anyone confirm/reproduce this behaviour? It's not that annoying but I would prefer to be able to delete stuff right from the Modern UI...

Sorry for all these dumb questions. You guys are a great help! :)

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
@livekyle, it is a bug. When you see the notice Recycling (that does not disappear) click it. It will then bring you to a screen that say Cannot recycle. Click it and you will be asked if you want to permanently delete. Just click Yes.

Screenshot in my language-
Screenshot (76).png

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
azcruz, thanks for the quick answer. Your Workaround works just fine. I also found out that even when using the Desktop mode, one cannot move files from the SD Card to the recycle bin. There is only the Option to remove them for good (i.e. no moving to the bin before deleting them forever). So I guess this is were this originates from....I hope you understand what I'm trying to say haha.

villiansv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the recycle bin issue - even on Win 8 Pro (x64), SD cards and similar external storage (usb drives, but not usb external hard drives) don't have a recycle bin. You do have a workaround though, which will likely work fine if you don't remove the card at all. Use the disk manager to create a .vhd virtual disk file on the card, and mount it as a drive letter. From then on, use this virtual drive instead of the card entry itself when directing windows to change default folder locations. Detailed instructions here (it's an old workaround):

Configure Surface to use MicroSD as Primary Storage | Matt Blogs IT

The virtual drive DOES have a functioning recycle bin, so it should work with no issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs