Anyone logged into 8.1 w/local account?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I've always logged into W8 with just a local account. With 8.1, although it took some searching, I was also able to set it up w/o logging in with a MS account. The biggest drawback I've encountered so far is not being able to use the Skydrive app. I've only had my RT for less than a day, so I'm not sure what other "features" I'll discover with 8.1 and a local account.

Anyone else in the same boat, and what's your experience been like?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
When I first received my RT (w/8.0) I first tried a local account. The limitation that I ran into was the inability to have any calendar/email/contacts live tiles update. It also didn't allow me to connect my XBox live account to "Games". I don't know if that's changed with 8.1.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
One drawback will be that not being able to use SkyDrive means you'll not be able to sync settings between 8.1 devices.

Out of interest, why use a local account?

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I want to be able to choose which services to consume, MS or otherwise, and be able to select with which account, if any, I do so. I like to keep personal & work accounts separate but have easy & equal access to Skydrive & other services w/either on the same computer. MS is making this more challenging.

Many users have lost access to their MS accounts for various reasons. The cloud is a great and convenient place to put stuff, but I don't think the only recovery key for my computer should be one of those things.

I don't like having less control or fewer choices, and I don't like being deceived to believe that's the case, which MS has clearly done w/8.1 and local logins.

For now, I can deal w/the limitations with using a local account, but the path MS is going w/this, while not an issue for many, will cause some to consider alternatives.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

BDub0817

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
All the local login does is make Windows 8 function more like Windows 7. If you are not wanting to utilize the new features of Windows 8/8.1 don't upgrade and stop complaining. To understand what Windows 8/8.1 can do look at this review, it is amazing because this guy methodically goes through most of what you can do. He is using Surface RT for the demo so just imagine the power you have with a full blown Intel powered Surface Pro/Pro2 or other Windows 8/8.1 laptop or tablet.
This is the best video ever of why Windows RT is so great.
Why I love my Microsoft Surface RT - YouTube

Part2
Why I love my Microsoft Surface RT, Part 2 - YouTube

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Fair enough, you're making an informed choice on whether or not to use a service. But if you choose not to use it (and I get all the reasons), then the functionality of that service won't be available. There's not really any other way of putting it.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
SkyDrive appears to be the only limitation that I've encountered so far. Fortunately, 3rd party apps like File Brick enable access from the modern UI. It doesn't have the same deep OS integration as the native app, but I'm personally OK with that.

Overall, I'm happy with my decision to get an RT and w/the 8.1 upgrade. I'm actually enjoying many of the features in those videos.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to add something about the above and "Play to" media files... You don't need an Xbox, just a DLNA device, which includes most newer "smart TV's", some Blue-Ray players and AV head units. The confusion lies with manufacturers use other names for DLNA. Example: Samsung calls it "AllShare™".

If your device has network capability (Wi-Fi, ethernet), set it up. Then try the above to see if it's available to 'play to'.

I had a couple of friends over the other night and we were watching movies, talking, etc. One of them mentioned a YouTube vid that they thought was funny and wanted to share it with everyone (they did have an iPad and was trying to find it again) . I grabbed my RT, did a quick search, found it, and then sent it to my TV for everyone to watch. Let's just say everyone was blown away.

The iPad owner was pissed!!! He thought the only way to do this type of thing was to get the Apply TV, and use Airplay. I had to explain to him that Apple's Airplay is proprietary version of DLNA and that if he had a "Smart TV" it's most likely DLNA compliant (which he does have, but didn't want to buy Apple TV). With that he made me show him around my Surface RT and all it's features, split screen apps, Office, remote desktop, etc. (everyone else watched also). In the end, he was asking everyone in the room if they wanted to buy his iPad, because he was going to get Windows tablet. Of course no one took him up on the offer.

I got a note last night that he sold his iPad, and picked up a Surface, and got everything working with his TV and stuff and was extremely happy. Now hes asking about my Windows Phone, as he's never liked his iPhone very much, and hates Google/Android even more.

Which reminds me, I really should send him the above vids just to give more info than what I gave him

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'd like to add something about the above and "Play to" media files... You don't need an Xbox, just a DLNA device, which includes most newer "smart TV's", some Blue-Ray players and AV head units. The confusion lies with manufacturers use other names for DLNA. Example: Samsung calls it "AllShare™".

... [snipped]...

Which reminds me, I really should send him the above vids just to give more info than what I gave him
Well done sir, well done. These type of stories happen more than gets reported. Thank you for the incentive to post our own!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to add something about the above and "Play to" media files... You don't need an Xbox, just a DLNA device, which includes most newer "smart TV's", some Blue-Ray players and AV head units.

Cool story. Well played.

What we "just need" is an inexpensive DLNA USB dongle or something like that. A lot of people would love to cast content using a non-proprietary solution but can't afford to run out and get a new TV or other player.

I'm all for standards, but if MS had a Chromecast app (longshot, I know), it's hard to resist something like that, even though closed/limited, given the cost. Just sayin'.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Cool story. Well played.

What we "just need" is an inexpensive DLNA USB dongle or something like that. A lot of people would love to cast content using a non-proprietary solution but can't afford to run out and get a new TV or other player.

I'm all for standards, but if MS had a Chromecast app (longshot, I know), it's hard to resist something like that, even though closed/limited, given the cost. Just sayin'.

Actually, if you do a search for "HDMI DLNA dongle" there are several out there. But I can't comment on how well they work, as I do have a smart TV.

The sad part is that Google's Chrome Cast is another bastardized version of DLNA, like Apple's Airplay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb