Surface 2 Kills My Internet

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I've just got a brand new Surface 2 for my office (and home). Upon firing up the device everything seemed fine, however as soon as I hook the Surface 2 into our Wifi the internet completely dies, with speeds coming to a crawl. I've got the thing sat next to me now with speedtest.net open and if I connect to the WiFi mid-speedtest it just begins to crawl instantly. What can I do?!

Update - Forcing my router onto g WiFi seems to have sorted it. This isn't an issue for my little office but I'm concerned about if the issue will appear at home. Is there no way to force the WiFi chip in the Surface 2 itself to only use g?

Last edited:

markn22

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I just got my Surface Pro 2. Had the same issue. What I learned is that my Bose Bluetooth speaker, if paired and receiving music will kill the internet and bring my browser to a crawl. If I stop the stream or turn off the speaker is works fine. talked to MS tech and they had no suggestions, called Bose and we hooked the speaker up to an ipad, phone and apple machine no problems. One last weird thing. When I reboot my machine and sign in, as soon as the wi fi kicks in it kills my cell phone call. Discovered this while on the cell phone with Bose tech.

What the heck. What is this wireless card and why does it step on my wifi network

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked the firmware on your router? I know the Asus routers had a problem recently with speed until a firmware update fixed it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I just got my Surface Pro 2. Had the same issue. What I learned is that my Bose Bluetooth speaker, if paired and receiving music will kill the internet and bring my browser to a crawl. If I stop the stream or turn off the speaker is works fine. talked to MS tech and they had no suggestions, called Bose and we hooked the speaker up to an ipad, phone and apple machine no problems. One last weird thing. When I reboot my machine and sign in, as soon as the wi fi kicks in it kills my cell phone call. Discovered this while on the cell phone with Bose tech.

What the heck. What is this wireless card and why does it step on my wifi network

Try updating things. It will help dude.

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments guys. Forcing my office router to g seemed to sort it, allowing me to get all the updates done (there were quite a few!). I've not encountered an issue on other WiFi points since so whether it was just that router not playing nice (Zyxel free ISP supplied) or the updates fixed it I'm not sure. When I get a spare few mins in the office on my own I'll try changing it back and see what happens, then report back to you guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos