Holding Surface with the Type Cover

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, new to the surface scene. I have a type cover for work uses, but often use the device like any other tablet at home. I was wondering what the recommended procedure is for doing that - is it safe for me to hold the device pressing down the keys on the back of the folded type cover, or should I be removing the cover at home and placing it back on at work? What I'm conscious of is wearing out the keys by gripping my device with them, but alternatively concerned about knackering the cover by snapping it on and removing it daily (magnet is pretty strong, surely doing this will put some wear on the fabric/plastic joins by bending it)

May sound like a silly question but I'm keen to really look after my device. It's a beautiful piece of kit and I plan to keep it that way if possible!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Either way works. If you fold the Type Cover back and your fingers mash the keys, it won't affect the keyboard or the keys. That said, I remove the keyboard but only because I don't like how it feels and yes, the magnets can take the removing/ putting on movement. They are quite tough actually.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I understand that the Type Covers are designed to be able to bend back on itself but I can't see it being able to stand up to that kind of wear over time. Plus, I am concerned that grit and other stuff getting between and under the keycaps in the bent-back orientation. I simply pop the keyboard off when wanting to use it in tablet mode.

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
My S2 and touch cover is Xmas present so I have no first hand experience. But, I've seen the question before here and thought people said, and MS suggested to take cover off and flip it over, then fold back, so keys are inside now.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, new to the surface scene. I have a type cover for work uses, but often use the device like any other tablet at home. I was wondering what the recommended procedure is for doing that - is it safe for me to hold the device pressing down the keys on the back of the folded type cover, or should I be removing the cover at home and placing it back on at work? What I'm conscious of is wearing out the keys by gripping my device with them, but alternatively concerned about knackering the cover by snapping it on and removing it daily (magnet is pretty strong, surely doing this will put some wear on the fabric/plastic joins by bending it)

May sound like a silly question but I'm keen to really look after my device. It's a beautiful piece of kit and I plan to keep it that way if possible!
If you haven't found out, you can reverse the Covers when attaching it to the Surface, so that the keys are not exposed when they're folded. Doing it that way also removes the stress of bending it way out even if MIcrosoft says it can be. In the early days of the Surface, may Covers got damaged from bending *normally* (as suggested by Microsoft).

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't found out, you can reverse the Covers when attaching it to the Surface, so that the keys are not exposed when they're folded. Doing it that way also removes the stress of bending it way out even if MIcrosoft says it can be. In the early days of the Surface, may Covers got damaged from bending *normally* (as suggested by Microsoft).

Is it ok to do that? Because of the contacts being connected the "wrong" way.

Thanks in advance!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Is it ok to do that? Because of the contacts being connected the "wrong" way.

Thanks in advance!

I've been doing that for a year. The devices are intelligent in that attached in reverse, the keyboard is de-activated.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been doing that for a year. The devices are intelligent in that attached in reverse, the keyboard is de-activated.

Sent from my LT25i using Tapatalk 4
Awesome! Thanks for your replyc azcruz! Your idea to connect the cover the other way around is of course a simple one, but actually a new one for me! So thanks for that :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre