Surface 2 is stuck in the blue screen of death.

monkeypimp

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
MYSurface 2 is stuck in the blue screen of death. It says its collecting info and will restart for you. but it just sits at 0% complete and won't let me restart. What do i do? I shut down because I was trying to watch a video but the audio wasn't working so I tried to restart and this is what happened. What do I do?

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I get the blue screen a lot, maybe 4 or 5 times a week anyway. Twice today so far. Is this a windows thing? Having to reboot just out of the blue? At least its not getting stuck during the process. Yet.

gilles beesley

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it the nonpaged area bsod error? If so its due to the tegra 4 driver.

Do a files refresh.... if you still get it you either need a recovery USB stick taken from a working surface and use that to launch the recovery on your device and do a full restore. Or if you can't get one, get a replacement device.

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
To me this highlights why Microsoft should go fully vertically integrated and make their own ARM chip, like Apple.
I tend to agree. We may see it eventually, but it explains the limited number of chipsets for the phone OS.

I was getting the BSOD issue, did a refresh, good for three restarts now between updates and testing. Sound seems much better.

monkeypimp

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
So I was able to reboot by holding down the power button. It then came up to a BitLocker recovery screen where i had to get a key and enter it. Then it went to the BSOD again and sat there. I rebooted again and it booted up normally. Definitely weird. But glad I was able to get it working again. Is there a way for me to make a backup on a flash drive so I can fix the issue if it happens again and locks up?

monkeypimp

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
This is the error i had recieved. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The first time it was a different error but I can't remember what it was for sure because i tried to reboot before i searched the error.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I had graphic issues (and issues with freezing while updating, which I think added to the problems.) until I refreshed my Surface 2... with the firmware (12-10-13) being the first update to the machine. I haven't had a single issue since and I've used it pretty heavy since the 10th.

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I justed wanted to let you know that I just had the same Problem...well in another order but basically the same. I wanted to boot my Surface when it suddenly asked for my BitLocker key. I had already read about that bug so I wasn't totally surprised but it still got me mad that my device does this c**p now, too. Well, I wanted to enter the key when it suddenly showed the BSOD with error "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal". Just like yours, mine also sat at 0% for some time so I decided to "kill" it by Holding the power button. Then I rebooted again and it came up with the BSOD with error " PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". I killed it again and then it rebooted just fine. So you're not alone with that issue :)

What do you guys think? Is it just sluggish Software or is there a high chance that my device is defective?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786