Stuck pixel on my Surface 2.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
hi there,

I want to report an issue with a stuck red pixel on a 3wk old Surface 2. I've never had this issue on a device before, and I'm pretty annoyed its appeared on a device of this calibre! Noticed it just under 24 hrs ago when using any IE window (metro or desktop) that has a black background. It is in the lower left hand region of the screen-and is apparent when loading the address bar from the bottom in metro IE. any solutions out there?!! Will it resolve itself or is this another warranty job? I'm new to touch devices of this type by the way.

this comes immediately after a broken charger that has just been replaced free of charge via an online MS surface support rep.

two quality control issues in under 4 weeks for a device costing this much....

any help appreciated!!!

Nick.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, no worries! :)

That is not (!) a dead pixel. At least if you have the same issue I had a few times before (and others as well. just search for something similar here in the forums).

I had the exact same "problem" on my Surface 2. The funny thing was: I had my external monitor connected to my Surface. So the "dead pixel" appeared on my external monitor. I was a bit suprised, but remembered the one thread having the same subject I had read before. So I tried to move the browser a bit and also put it on my Surface's screen: the dead pixel stayed at the same (relative) place. So changeg the screen :) As far as I can guess: just a software problem. So a bug. Or one could call it a software related stuck pixel. You could of course check the screenshot-method. So if your dead pixel moves with the screenshot it is, of course, not a dead pixel.

Here is a thread dealing with this "problem" I found after using the search-option here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...250096-bright-pixel-when-using-modern-ie.html

Greetz

Edit: forgot to say: of course my "stuck pixel" went away after some time. :)

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey there, no worries! :)

That is not (!) a dead pixel. At least if you have the same issue I had a few times before (and others as well. just search for something similar here in the forums).

I had the exact same "problem" on my Surface 2. The funny thing was: I had my external monitor connected to my Surface. So the "dead pixel" appeared on my external monitor. I was a bit suprised, but remembered the one thread having the same subject I had read before. So I tried to move the browser a bit and also put it on my Surface's screen: the dead pixel stayed at the same (relative) place. So changeg the screen :) As far as I can guess: just a software problem. So a bug. Or one could call it a software related stuck pixel. You could of course check the screenshot-method. So if your dead pixel moves with the screenshot it is, of course, not a dead pixel.

Here is a thread dealing with this "problem" I found after using the search-option here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...250096-bright-pixel-when-using-modern-ie.html

Greetz

Edit: forgot to say: of course my "stuck pixel" went away after some time. :)

Ok, thank you for that. I haven't yet tried the screen shot to see if my pixel moves or not. Will update you on that. I'm assuming you mean when moving the screenshot, if my pixel moves with it, then this is not a hardware issue?

Update: I tried the screenshot, but curiously, pixel fault did not capture with it. When viewing the screenshot and moving the area affected, my red pixel remains in position-on screen but NOT in the capture. It is also not just present in IE, it is seemingly apparent on other programs/screens when the screen is dark/black, including my desktop wallpaper i noticed. Not sure what this means!!

Last edited:

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, thank you for that. I haven't yet tried the screen shot to see if my pixel moves or not. Will update you on that. I'm assuming you mean when moving the screenshot, if my pixel moves with it, then this is not a hardware issue?

Update: I tried the screenshot, but curiously, pixel fault did not capture with it. When viewing the screenshot and moving the area affected, my red pixel remains in position-on screen but NOT in the capture. It is also not just present in IE, it is seemingly apparent on other programs/screens when the screen is dark/black, including my desktop wallpaper i noticed. Not sure what this means!!

Hey,

hmm ok that does not sound like a "software stuck pixel" :( If the pixel does not move with the picture and appears on other programs, then I guess it is a dead/stuck pixel :( I am not sure, of course. But because of mine only appearing on IE, I think yours is really dead (in that case it would actually be black all the time, so I assume it is a "faulty", but not dead pixel) and maybe a hardware issue. I am sorry to say that :(

Try to contact MS

Sorry for giving you false hope! :( Because of the area your pixel seems to be I thought you had the same software bug I did :(

Good luck and all the best!

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks man, not to worry. I'm going to leave it until after Xmas and see if in the meantime if it resolves itself. I have read that a coloured pixel can regain its function-but that wait is indeterminate unfortunately. It is barely noticeable but given the fact its so new, i will contact my retailer and see what happens. Pretty annoying!! Ironically today, i missed a courtesy call from 'MS Surface support' about another issue with a faulty charger which was resolved free of charge by MS. Had i caught the call, i would had to have ranted about this new fault!

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks man, not to worry. I'm going to leave it until after Xmas and see if in the meantime if it resolves itself. I have read that a coloured pixel can regain its function-but that wait is indeterminate unfortunately. It is barely noticeable but given the fact its so new, i will contact my retailer and see what happens. Pretty annoying!! Ironically today, i missed a courtesy call from 'MS Surface support' about another issue with a faulty charger which was resolved free of charge by MS. Had i caught the call, i would had to have ranted about this new fault!

sounds like a plan!
Yeah it always sucks to have an issue like that after getting a brand new device... Lets hope for "new year, new luck!" I guess :)

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this yesterday, in the exact same location as you. It's a singular white pixel. The thing is, when the on-screen keyboard comes up, it disappears, but it's there for everything else.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this yesterday, in the exact same location as you. It's a singular white pixel. The thing is, when the on-screen keyboard comes up, it disappears, but it's there for everything else.

I just noticed this exact same thing on my MS2. Very weird. Obviously not a dead pixel then, as it goes away when the osk comes up.

Edit: I just restarted the tablet and it appears to have gone away. The pixel also did not show up on my background desktop. So, I'm guessing just a weird quirk?

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed this exact same thing on my MS2. Very weird. Obviously not a dead pixel then, as it goes away when the osk comes up.

Edit: I just restarted the tablet and it appears to have gone away. The pixel also did not show up on my background desktop. So, I'm guessing just a weird quirk?

Weird! I restarted mine after I read your post and it has disappeared. Cool.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Update: so.... I am currently amidst the returns process for a stuck red pixel on my Surface 2. Unfortunately, my preferred option of a speedier 'Advanced Warranty option' is apparently not possible due to the hold payment required for this option... 3 cards tried, ALL failed (there is plenty of money on the cards btw!)- and some 4 hours+ IM'ing with Microsoft Surface Answer Techs and Billing(?!) to no avail left me with a standard 'free' exchange. The Answer Techs via Surface Support online, to their credit, have been excellent but for some reason, the billing issue is something no one could rectify for me to allow my preferred refund to take place.

It is worth noting at this point my retailer where I purchased the device John Lewis suggested I contact MS regarding this issue... as typically I was just a few days past the 'free return/replacement' threshold. Despite their 2 year warranty. Frustratingly, as mentioned, the same device has already had an issue rectified regarding a broken charger (solved v quickly by MS)

Anyone out there with the warranty process behind them safely?

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Nick(kk?), I posted a thread about my experience with Microsoft's warranty service for me. I'll let you pick through for more details if you'd like.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-pro-2/250394-anyone-kickstand-scratches.html

In "short" summary, though, I went with standard exchange (didn't want a $1,800 hold on my card) and they emailed me a FedEx 2-day label to print and ship out. My faulty unit made it to their address near the weekend, which may have delayed it slightly. However, they finished inspection or whatever they do on Monday and gave the OK. They shipped the next day via FedEx Express Overnight, which was a wonderful surprise (also got an extra pen and charger out of it).

If you do end up going with the free exchange route, don't worry too much about being Surface-less for too long. They were pretty prompt about everything and I am very happy with how the process went. Good luck to you!

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you sir. I checked out that thread so thanks for the link. Here's hoping i get a reasonably quick turn around!! I have all the shipping info and just need to package her up. It'll be away tomorrow hopefully. Will let people know how it goes.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Second device arrived this morning. It too has a problem with a stuck pixel-different location on device but there. This is ridiculous. I want to love this device, but what a let down it has been. So angry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss