Screen won't turn on after sleep

monkeypimp

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes when i put my tablet to sleep, by either pressing the power button or by closing the keyboard, when I open the keyboard the screen stays black and the keyboard does not light up and hitting the power button does nothing. I have to Hold the power button down for a few seconds then release and then press the button again to reboot. Any ideas on what is causing this? Or how to fix it?

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
i have the issue too and i have been talking with Microsoft support about it. i have gotten my surface 2 replaced by a new one and it has also got the problem.
reinstalled and refreshed acordingly to support advice - with no luck.
usb recovery with no luck.

Microsoft support has told me that it is an issue with firmware or OS. and they have confirmed it to be a known issue.

the problem becomes worse, because the surface 2 starts to crash after a while.

i hope ms is working on the fix.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Same here. The first three/four weeks were awesome. I had maybe two crashes or so... but not more. I got the type-cover a few days ago and I don't know if it has something to do with the fact I changed something (bought the cover which was not there before), but after doing that my surface crashed 4 or 5 times and had some other software issues. So the first 3-4 weeks: maybe two crashes, during the last week: 4 or 5 crashes + other issues. Of course it could be some update or something like that... I dont know.. but it's odd...

Just to be clear: with "crash" I mean: Except of one time where the type-cover stopped working and reacting (I could change the backlight brightnes, but not typing anything. My Surface would just not react to my type cover... other than that everything worked fine. After a reboot the cover worked again) all the other crashes were "not waking up after closing the cover or putting the Surface to sleep".

The other issues were almost all a problem with the desktop-explorer. So a few times after switching to the desktop-screen, it would stop reacting for a few seconds, but then open the folder/program I wanted in desktop mode. But the actual desktop, so the explorer with the shortcuts and the taskbar, disappeared. So there was the window from the folder I just opened and a black background... no explorer... So I opened the taskmanager and started explorer manually (open a new task -> explorer). After doing that the taskbar, my shortcuts and so on came back and everything was fine. But I had to doubleclick on every app already opened before explorer crashed from the taskmanager. Otherwise they would not appear as open Apps.

Long story short: having crashes and issues for a week now. I really hope this will change!

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
So guys, I have a small update here:

Don't know if I can say my problem (Surface not waking up) is solved or not because not much time has passed to make a conclusion like that... but:

I don't have this issue any more!
After my surface not waking up twice a day for a few days I did not want to wait any more and tried to understand what the problem was. So I used the reliability log from windows to check for app-crashes. I realized that almost every day "microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps..." had crashed. And as far as I remembered every time my surface did not wake up there was this app/operation listed as "crashed". So I thought maybe that was the problem and tried to google it... found nothing... so further investigation was done:

I found out that my Surface had its last update on 12th of december. So far too long ago for microsoft updates. I tried to force my surface to update, but nothing would happen after showing me that there are updates available... So I went on and used the "recovery"-option from windows. The one where you keep all of your data, but all the windows files are checked for problems and are recovered.

Sadly I did not make any screenshots from the reliability-center :(

During the recovery session (68%) I got a bluescreen with the error "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA". My Surface crashed on that bluescreen (bluescreen inception? :D ). I waited...waited...waited...but nothing happened. So I rebooted my Surface and it went just fine. My Surface updated all of my settings and downloaded all of my apps and everything looked just like before the recovery-session. I checked for updates and bam: a lot of them wanted to be installed. I did that...several times (update-installation-restart-update-installation-restart and so on). And since then I did not have the "not waking up"-Issue any more. The updates seem to work again. The reliability log shows only one time of microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps crashing. And that the day where I recovered windows. After that no apps or other operations crashed. But somehow I have "hardwareissues" showing up for almost every day (on the log...not on the screen or somewhere else...). All of them are an issue with the name "LiveKernelEvent". I did not have any crashes or anything like that...

So lets see what happens next... maybe you can use this information somehow...

Greetz

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I had this happen the other day and when I finally got it to wake up by long pressing power repeatedly I ended up where it went to the blue screen and stuck there. I long pressed power again repeatedly and finally got it to where I could do a refresh of the system. It has been fine(fingers crossed) since the refresh. It seems snappier, quicker and an all around pleasure to work with again. +1 for the refresh feature. Perhaps this needs to be done occasionally but especially after an update. It went well with minimal irritation. I'd do it again when needed.

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is a known issue, you need to leave your Bluetooth on all the time, for some reason with it off then it doesn't wake properly. Let's hope the January firmware update fixes it.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I get this problem too.

In addition, whenever I try a full reset of the Surface I after an age of 'Preparing' it gets a few % in and then blue screens with the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" error mentioned above.

Says it's collecting data before restarting but just sits there at 0%.

Long press on the power button and then switch it on sets it going through the setup process and I'm back in business.

Still get the non waking issue though.

While it has it's issues, I've been generally encouraged by the MS support. Most hardware I've owned has had about 1 firmware update and then hung out to dry by the manufacturer as they move onto something else. At least MS are listening and, hopefully, acting.

mcraine

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
In my case, a wireless mouse caused wake up problems and crashes on a Surface 2.
I bought a Surface 2 in December for my father. I set the machine up for him using the Type Cover 2 and a Logitech wireless mouse. Everything worked well. I mailed the machine to him and told him to get a wireless mouse. He bought what looks like a Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse. Shortly after, he started reporting many of the problems noted in this thread. Not waking up, crashing, etc. His error code was something to do with a driver. He also experienced some issues with wireless connectivity and intermittently the mouse would not work. It required a long press to force a reboot. Sometimes several attempts were required.
Today I verified the updates were current. I checked device manager and noted an error related to a HID device.
I removed the mouse and rebooted. Since then everything is working perfectly. I’ve since connected a Logitech wireless mouse and everything is still working great. My guess is that there was some issue with the driver for the Microsoft Sculpt Mobile Mouse.
I’ve had no issues with the Type Cover 2.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I was introduced to that "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" error when I was trying to work out how to update the Tegra 4 drivers. There is a thread about this in the sticky section. In that thread Paolo has posted a workaround for the error (as well as for the Tegra 4 driver issue). I tried the Tegra 4 driver update method and it worked. But I have NOT tried to reset the device as per the method suggested in that thread. As has been pointed out, this issue is known to MS (there is a thread on this in the MS community forums too). I wonder though if MS will eventually release a fix for this as it is purely a software matter given that sometimes MS takes an ostrich-like posture towards issues like this.

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Definitely give the sticky a read regarding the Terga 4 drivers not updating after a BSOD. MS replaced my device after I contacted the Surface support. We received the "Page Fault in non paged area ... Sad face" screen several times and then the support rep quickly lead me thru the process of getting a new device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99