Surface 2 still sold out?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Guys what can be possible reason for having the s2 out of stock ? Somewhere I get a feeling that they have limited the production because after aquiring nokia they must be thinking of some new strategy .

Is the 2520 readily available ? Or that too is out of stock .

Somewhere I think it's a deliberate attempt to limit production , because MS is not foolish enough to miss the holiday buying season .

Is this situation only in USA or other parts of the world where they have released the s2 dor example uk , Hong Kong , Australia ,and other parts of Europe and Asia ?

This is just my speculation and opinion...

Microsoft deliberately limited production for 2 purposes:

1) Put downward pressure to sell remaining Surface RT units.
2) Shorter development cycle on the hardware did not allow sufficient time to fully optimize manufacturing process/quality.

Ricardo Dawkins

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
meh..they botched the launch of this tablet the same way as they botched the transition from Zune 30 to 2nd generation Zune 80 by releasing/making way less 2nd gen hardware. They are so dumb after all these years.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
meh..they botched the launch of this tablet the same way as they botched the transition from Zune 30 to 2nd generation Zune 80 by releasing/making way less 2nd gen hardware. They are so dumb after all these years.
Ricardo! This is "sracer" from Zunescene. Great to see you still kicking around. Embracing the Zune, and now the Surface, is like the NY Mets... they're all "lovable losers". LOL

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
For those of you in the Chicago area, I recommend calling the Staples off Roosevelt on the southside of Chicago. I went in there today to buy a black type cover 2 and it looked like they had a good stock. Much more supply than the Best Buy across the street. Also a much better display set up.

aw50me

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
10 in my local Microsoft store today... they were delivered yesterday. Also showing in stock on Best buy website

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I just checked Amazon, and the Surface 2 is listed as in stock but the price of the 32GB model is $513.99 (USD), while the 64GB model is $609.99. What is going on?

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I just checked Amazon, and the Surface 2 is listed as in stock but the price of the 32GB model is $513.99 (USD), while the 64GB model is $609.99. What is going on?
Those are other sellers selling through (or being fulfilled by) Amazon.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

Best buy.com is showing $60 less and stating most stores have them in stock. (USA)

32g for $449.00

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
When it says bi Microsoft, they're talking about the manufacturer of the product.
I understand that.
There was a page that had the Surface 32GB for $513 that did NOT include the "In stock. Sold by ...." on the right hand side above the "Add to Cart" button, nor had the "fullfilled by ..." qualifier under then product name. When there is no "Sold by... " indicator and there is no "fullfilled by..." under the product name then it means that Amazon is selling the item directly.

That page is no longer visible. Maybe it was a glitch. The next time I see it, I'll post a screenshot. Also, keep in mind that Amazon DOES sometimes present different prices to different users depending upon the id they log into Amazon with.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get their hands on one at a BestBuy, Futureshop, or Staples in Canada? I've been searching since Christmas.

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Nope. Sold out everywhere. Been calling yorkdale microsoft store everyday almost. Ridiculously hard to find.

I've been calling and visiting pretty much every store I can think of since December. BestBuy, FutureShop, Staples, The Source... We don't have a Microsoft store in the Maritimes. Are there any other retailers in Canada?

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I have been watching the various US and Canada sites for about 6 weeks and they have had limited to no availability, it is even worse now. While a few weeks delay is disappointing but forgivable, it is even more frustrating that you cannot pre-order for future delivery (i.e. Dell Windows 8 tablets were in short supply in December, but at least they would tell you when you might get a shipment, even if it was a few weeks in advance). I bet there are a number of people who would pay up now and take delivery in a few weeks. The fact that they are not even doing that implies a much bigger supply issue, or maybe a cancellation as they plan for Surface 3? Anyone know of any leaks regarding a new machine, or a serious shortage of one of the components?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have been watching the various US and Canada sites for about 6 weeks and they have had limited to no availability, it is even worse now. While a few weeks delay is disappointing but forgivable, it is even more frustrating that you cannot pre-order for future delivery (i.e. Dell Windows 8 tablets were in short supply in December, but at least they would tell you when you might get a shipment, even if it was a few weeks in advance). I bet there are a number of people who would pay up now and take delivery in a few weeks. The fact that they are not even doing that implies a much bigger supply issue, or maybe a cancellation as they plan for Surface 3? Anyone know of any leaks regarding a new machine, or a serious shortage of one of the components?
I've already offered my speculation regarding Surface 2 quantities. If I continue to be correct, don't expect the situation to improve for the remainder of this generation.

Where my crystal ball is fuzzy is in what is going to happen beyond Surface 2. It is possible that there will not be an ARM-based Surface 3...that the 2 will be the last ARM-based entry-level Surface. That would depend upon the real-world experience of the Bay Trail devices. If reality lives up to the hype, I can see Microsoft producing a BayTrail-based Surface 3 and removing WinRT from Surface tablets.

The previous rumors of Microsoft merging WP8 and WinRT8 may come to pass. But I don't think it will mean that a 10" Surface will run that new merged OS. I think that they will reserve that OS for smartphone, megaphone, and gigantaphone devices... upwards of a 7" screen capable of making calls.

My advice for people who are still looking for a Surface 2... stop looking. If you can find a killer screaming deal on an RT (highly unlikely at this time) go for it and enjoy it, or wait for the next generation. Because the more time that passes, the closer it gets to new devices being announced and released.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb