Windows RT Apps

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting either a Surface 2 or Nokia 2520 which, of course run Windows RT. I know that the Windows phone apps are different from the Windows RT apps but are the apps you use in regular (desktop) windows 8.1 the same as the RT apps or are they different as well? I'm OK with my Windows phone app selection (although wouldn't complain about more) and wonder what the Windows RT app situation is like.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
you can not run desktop class apps on any version of windows RT, only way is to use the store which have special apps designed for windows rt/ARM chipset. if you compare regular desktops apps vs. store apps ,yes there is lot of difference in app selection and design as the store apps are based on metro ui, specially coded to run on ARM architecture.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm more interested in the RT apps. Which has the most, WP, RT or Win 8.1?

you seems little confused here
you can not run wp apps that are available on windows phone on any windows 8 machine for that you have app store which have special apps for RT version of windows.
even a normal computer running can RT apps but a machine that have ARM architecture can not run desktop apps since it does not have enough power, so windows tore is the only way to install apps. windows phone 8.1 is not launched yet but windows 8.1 is already available on tablets/pc.

law506

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I would go with the PRO 8.1. This way if there isn't an app you want in the store you can always install the desktop app on the Desktop mode. One the things I am finding most disappointing with the RT. However, it was a gift, so can't complain too much.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the Nokia 2520 so that I can have 4G access.
Obviously, I'm not making myself too clear. I know WP apps cannot run on Win RT or Win 8.1. I'm just trying to get a sense as to what the App catalog is going to look like.
Is the Windows App Store on Win 8.1 the same as the Win RT store or is it different? I know I can't run legacy apps that run in Desktop mode in RT.
According to "Tips and Tricks" in Win 8.1, "Windows RT users can only install apps from the Windows Store". To me, that sounds as if apps from the Win 8.1 Windows store is the same as what you would be able to access from your RT machine.

billyweber0101

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I like the Nokia 2520 better then surface. But went with dell venue pro 8. Because its full software not rt and I wanted 8 inch screen over 10. They have dell venue pro 11. I got mine for 240 bucks. Plus stylus. 😁 you tube reviews very helpful

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
In a way tallrob you are right, though in the windows store there are some "apps" that may be for the "full" version of windows, I would think about 98% are made to run on arm and 86, i.e. on RT and Full Windows Tablets be them Microsoft tablets Pro and Pro 2, or the many others, and on RT version of tablets, again be them Microsoft, Nokia or others. Jim

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm leaning towards the Nokia 2520 so that I can have 4G access.
Obviously, I'm not making myself too clear. I know WP apps cannot run on Win RT or Win 8.1. I'm just trying to get a sense as to what the App catalog is going to look like.
Is the Windows App Store on Win 8.1 the same as the Win RT store or is it different? I know I can't run legacy apps that run in Desktop mode in RT.
According to "Tips and Tricks" in Win 8.1, "Windows RT users can only install apps from the Windows Store". To me, that sounds as if apps from the Win 8.1 Windows store is the same as what you would be able to access from your RT machine.

Hey there,

While the store we access is the same for all platforms, the windows store does indeed have apps that cannot run on RT (ARM) devices, however, those apps are by far the minority. You can tell by browsing the store and looking at 'supported processors,' or in some cases 'supported platforms.' It will list a combination of 'ARM, x86, x64' or all three. One good resource we use is www.metrostorescanner.com . Among other filters this site provides, you can filter by platform. Currently there are 147,881 apps for ARM, 153,885 apps for x86, and 154,276 apps for x64. If you own an RT device like us, the Windows Store filters out the x86 and x64 'only' apps so you can't even see them while browsing the store, in other words, if an app is unavailable for your device, you won't find it in the store.

Hope that helped!

Sent from our Surface RT

Last edited:

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
RT apps have improved greatly over the past year, but it has not gotten to the point yet that you can find anything and everything you could ever want. You need to figure out if it offers the specific things you need prior to purchasing, so hopefully you can now find that information.

My biggest hangup with RT apps is the absence of an alternative to IE. It really, really, really stinks having to rely soley on IE11.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I know there are others like UCBrowser etc. but am really looking forward to Firefox being available. I read that they were anticipating a March 2014 launch on WP8, hoping that they will also port to RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon