Surface Pro $599....worth it?

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy and others have the Surface Pro 128 gb for $599. Is it worth the $599 or is the new and improved Windows tablets (Like Surface Pro 2) on market worth the extra money? Also read this model can't be upgraded to Windows 8.1?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
1) yes, that's an awesome deal! I'd say get it before they run out. The SP2 IMO is not worth an extra $500 (I would get this deal if I had the choice, but I already have a SP2).
2) This is not Android (;. Every single instance of W8 can be upgraded to W8.1.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ehh, I'd say battery life, the two position kickstand and probably just some under the hood spec bumps arent worth the additional money, although it depends on you

I'd say that's a good deal, also worth noting that the Surface Pro is a full blown computer (as opposed to Android and iOS which are big phones) and it can be upgraded to 8.1 like any other 8 computer out there (my Vista-era laptop has seen Windows 7, 8, 8.1, various Linux distros etc)
heck, you could probably load Linux on there if you so choose

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
A Surface Pro 128GB surfaced (sic) from where I am and I am tempted to replace my aged but still working although pathetic display and battery life Acer S3...

It alsome comes with the Type Cover 1 for $600. The PC Benchmark scores say it will eat my current Acer S3 and not really that far off from the Surface Pro 2.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just bought an open box one for 646 and thought I got a good deal, I didn't know anyone still had stock of the Surface Pro's of the original flavor. You are getting a i5 ultrabook/tablet with 4 GB of ram and 128 GB hard drive for 600 bucks. That is not a bad deal.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
A very nice deal, because the original Pro is still rocking some top notch specs. It's up to you to decide if the improved kickstand, battery life, etc. are worth it. I personally think they are, but my tastes in tech are typically too exquisite for my own good...

But if those improvements aren't worth the extra $500 (and it's perfectly ok if they aren't, seeing as $500 is a sizeable chunk of money), then the original Pro is still a highly respectable and powerful little beast, especially at such a fair price.

bpmurr

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
A very nice deal, because the original Pro is still rocking some top notch specs. It's up to you to decide if the improved kickstand, battery life, etc. are worth it. I personally think they are, but my tastes in tech are typically too exquisite for my own good...

But if those improvements aren't worth the extra $500 (and it's perfectly ok if they aren't, seeing as $500 is a sizeable chunk of money), then the original Pro is still a highly respectable and powerful little beast, especially at such a fair price.

I picked one up last night. I think the Surface Pro 128GB at this price point is a great buy and will hold me over until the Surface Pro 3 which I think we'll see more significant changes around size and weight with Broadwell.

Last edited:

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
i didn't get mine from best buy, but got it off ebay for around that price.

it is the best tablet i've had so far. and at a pricepoint a lot cheaper than i would
have ever expected.

i haven't seen other used tablets at this price match up to it.

i had no problems upgrading to 8.1, just went to the app store,
pointed at the upgrade, and an hour later it was done.

later

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I picked one up last night. I think the Surface Pro 128GB at this price point is a great buy and will hold me over until the Surface Pro 3 which I think we'll see more significant changes around size and weight with Broadwell.

Can't wait to see what the Surface Pro 3 has in store either. Hopefully they can slim it some, and perhaps use the same new silver color found on the Surface 2? I get they're trying to make the difference between the devices more obvious, and the Pro model is more about raw power than design and elegance (but it still does an awesome job on the latter), but the silver looks very snazzy. I want...

bpmurr

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Can't wait to see what the Surface Pro 3 has in store either. Hopefully they can slim it some, and perhaps use the same new silver color found on the Surface 2? I get they're trying to make the difference between the devices more obvious, and the Pro model is more about raw power than design and elegance (but it still does an awesome job on the latter), but the silver looks very snazzy. I want...

I hope they stay with the matte black color. It hides marks and looks like Darth Vader's tablet.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I hope they stay with the matte black color. It hides marks and looks like Darth Vader's tablet.

Hmm, true. The Surface is rather prone to scratches, isn't it? And maybe they could offer color options, perhaps? ;)

What, I'll sit tight with my SP2 for now. Shame, I've got lots of devices I'd like to buy, just to play around with some tech toys. But alas, money is most precious, and I've got to set some aside if I want to afford a SP3 and a next generation Lumia 1020 in 2014...

I've got to just become a tech reviewer, and my life will be complete. I hear Daniel has one of every Windows Phone ever made, the lucky dog...

Misha52

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
A Surface Pro 128GB surfaced (sic) from where I am and I am tempted to replace my aged but still working although pathetic display and battery life Acer S3...

It alsome comes with the Type Cover 1 for $600. The PC Benchmark scores say it will eat my current Acer S3 and not really that far off from the Surface Pro 2.

how do you get the type cover? is it bundled with the tab?

nthknd

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I went to best buy to exchange my two day old Sony vaio tap 11(fan issues,wifi issues,keyboard issues) was going to either get something new or get another sony..was standing in line with a Lenovo yoga 2 and saw a lady with the surface pro...she just bragged how great it was and there was one left.. jumped out of line and grabbed it. Came home updated it everything work right out the box..beat the two days I was on the phone with sony. Loving it so far. Kinda thick and heavy compared to other brands but it works very well and fast to be a last gen processor. Very happy so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Surface RT when it first came out. I was very happy with it, but couldn't say no to this deal and just bought the Surface Pro. Perfect!
Now selling the RT on ebay with a number of accessories....

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface pro one and even if I love it, It's hard to recommend it.

There are just still too many flaws and bugs that make the experience very frustrating! Quick pros and cons (personal point of view, of course, your experience may differ)

PROS:
- powerful enough to do your everyday tasks: web, office, lightroom (for me), email and even some games (Diablo 3 for example)
- USB port FTW
- Micro SD
- Full Windows 8
- Easy to connect to a TV or monitor
- Kickstand
- overall size...

CONS:
- ... but still a bit heavy and thick
- build quality is just... unacceptable for the price: The screen at the top, between the front camera and the right edge is creaking, it's driving me nuts. I guess it's due to the heat. Not sure the device will last very long though
- The top edge of the tablet tends to creak as well - not very sturdy
- Battery life could be better (but not a real issue for me)
- I have both type and touch cover... they keep getting disconnected on a regular basis. I have to remove/re-attach the covers for it to work again (or sometimes restart)
- Sometimes it's just the trackpad that is acting up, for no reasons - once again, removing/re-attaching the keyboard does the trick
- On an Ipad, if you fold the cover onto the screen, the tablet goes to sleep, done. On the surface pro (at least mine), not really. The screen goes off and sometimes, it will turn on again but you can't see it because the cover is on it... it actually woke me up at 4am and 3am twice because the vents were blowing like crazy... I grabbed it and it was burning hot. The screen was on... even if I made sure it was off. It went on on its own and got stuck... of course, the tablet started to get hot.

Of course it a great deal at this price but I find it too unreliable, too buggy (despite the updates) and the build quality is just unacceptable for a "high-end" device.

If you don't mind the CONS I have listed above, then the Surface pro is for you!

Don't get me wrong, I still love mine. Just wanted to point out that it's not perfect. Far from it actually.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans