Audio Crackle through speakers

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to solve the odd audio distortion noise when using the speakers. Disabling audio enhancements seems to improve the quality significantly but also makes the speakers incredibly quiet even on 100%. I most notice this when viewing videos where people are speaking, it doesn't really seem to be an issue with music for example.

A good example would be if you watch a good few minutes of this video with volume on full on your surface2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sHB95mg0_E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My drivers are fully up to date, November dated. As someone who watches alot of Youtube its really becoming frustrating. This issue is identical on my original and replacement device, so I'm sure it's present on all.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine does this with music when it starts to crackle at 82 +. However not on videos.

I'm going to assume this needs a software update to fix the issue.

I tried the different settings for audio needed make a difference to the crackling.

Eren68

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had my surface 2 for a few days and this is my only gripe. Crackling and low volume. Hopefully an update will solve :smile:

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I notice an increase in volume and quality after the last round of updates. I think it will continue to improve with updates other than that not s*** you can do. Have a great day!

CafeChemist

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I have this issue, too. I had heard that the Surface RT's (1st gen) did not have this issue, so I went to the Microsoft Store to test this. I navigated to the youtube video you posted on both a Surface RT and my Surface 2 (with all updates) and indeed, the sound is much better on the RT. At 100% volume on both devices, the Surface 2 speakers crackle and break up, particularly on "S" and "T" sounds from the reviewer on the video; the RT had no issues, although it sounded slightly less loud. Overall, the sound is better on the RT, even at lower volume settings. The Microsoft Store employees were surprised to hear this issue, and checked for internal reports from Surface Team to Microsoft Stores; there were no technical bulletins or any other acknowledgment of the problem by the Surface Team. This really makes me wonder how robust the Surface Team's hardware QC program is. If users are encountering issues in just typical use, the QC program should be finding them too (plus some).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Getting a bit of crackling just streaming on HBOGo's website 30/100 volume on both the Surface and the website.

What's the deal here? Any news on a fix?

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
posted this on another thread, but trying to get some attention. i'm onto my second Surface 2 and speakers are still quiet and crackle when on 100%. it's been 3 months now and MS still haven't done anything about this or acknowledged it is a problem. there hasn't been a reply in this post where heaps of people have the problem Surface 2 Speaker/Sound Problems - Microsoft Community.

the Surface RT had a similar problem when it came out and they fixed it with an Update, I'm hoping they do this for the Surface 2 too but it would be nice to know what's going on. i'm making noise on twitter about this so if you can to hopefully we can a response. the surface 2 is awesome, just a shame about this volume thing cause it affects watching videos and skyping.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05