Value of a Surface RT

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of replacing my Surface RT with the Lumia 1520 that I just purchased. Virtually every app I use on Windows RT has an equivalent Windows Phone 8 version, and there's even an app for RDC and RemoteApp connections. With an Amazon Instant Video app supposedly in the works, there seems to be little reason to hang onto the RT. I just don't know what the market will take for a Surface RT these day, or if it's even worth trying to sell.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Honestly, I don't even pick up my SRT anymore as I'm always on my 1520. But I will still keep the SRT, because its a lot more useful for school.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't even pick up my SRT anymore as I'm always on my 1520. But I will still keep the SRT, because its a lot more useful for school.

The same thing happened to a friend of mine awhile back, except he got a Note II rather than a 1520. Since getting a phablet his RT became a dust-gathering paperweight.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I purchased mine used from Craigslist here in Austin back in November for 175, then found a type cover for 75, unfortunately, I don't think I got a great deal in retrospect. I have been trying to find a way to recoup some of that cost while moving to the Surface 2. I too recently looked into Best Buy's trade policy, they are offering 70.00 here as well for the RT. I've decided to pass for now and just try to get 9-12 months use out of the RT.

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I purchased mine used from Craigslist here in Austin back in November for 175, then found a type cover for 75, unfortunately, I don't think I got a great deal in retrospect. I have been trying to find a way to recoup some of that cost while moving to the Surface 2. I too recently looked into Best Buy's trade policy, they are offering 70.00 here as well for the RT. I've decided to pass for now and just try to get 9-12 months use out of the RT.

You can't recoup? Look at what Surfaces with type covers are going for on ebay... I don't understand all of this talk about getting $70 for a Surface.

-E

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You can't recoup? Look at what Surfaces with type covers are going for on ebay... I don't understand all of this talk about getting $70 for a Surface.

-E

As we both said, this is the trade in value for the Surface RT at Best buy for the 32 GB surface. It's a known fact stores give you lower value for your devices when you trade in.

On ebay i see 32 GB models going for $250 or so but that is kind of dumb because you can get a brand new one for $260-270 from the store.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
doesn't eBay make some cash off whatever you are selling though?

Yup, it's pretty much a merchant fee. It's irritating, but part of the game. They provide the largest market on the internet, so they have a fee for selling items on that market because the demand is there.

You can read about the fee structure on the eBay website, and there's a calculator for what the fee will be. It'll be taken out of your PayPal amount if you use PayPal for transactions, and most people do.

Ebay takes around 10% of the sale price.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
doesn't eBay make some cash off whatever you are selling though?

Of course! How else are they supposed to turn a profit? :wink:

I usually buy on Craigslist and sell on eBay. The same item on Craigslist will usually sell for a lower price, but it's more hassle. I like listing my item for sale on eBay. The item sells, I get a PayPal payment, I ship the item, and we're done. The fees for eBay & PayPal are probably mostly covered by the higher selling price. I don't have calls, texts, and/or emails coming in all the time. Plus with a Craigslist sale you have to make out a time & place to meet. But because I can buy cheaper and see the item before purchasing, I buy from Craigslist.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Of course! How else are they supposed to turn a profit? :wink:

I usually buy on Craigslist and sell on eBay. The same item on Craigslist will usually sell for a lower price, but it's more hassle. I like listing my item for sale on eBay. The item sells, I get a PayPal payment, I ship the item, and we're done. The fees for eBay & PayPal are probably mostly covered by the higher selling price. I don't have calls, texts, and/or emails coming in all the time. Plus with a Craigslist sale you have to make out a time & place to meet. But because I can buy cheaper and see the item before purchasing, I buy from Craigslist.
I stay away from Craigslist.
I've been using ebay since 1997 and with a little caution and a little common sense (both in short supply for many these days) I've had a great experience over those 17 years.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
That's appalling. Why did you do that? You could have gotten AT LEAST twice that just by posting it on ebay.
Not to mention. After eBay extorts the listing fees, % of selling price etc. The 180-200 looks more like 160-180 and then the 10 day wait for the PayPal funds to be available, eBay isn't so great for the occasional seller.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention. After eBay extorts the listing fees, % of selling price etc. The 180-200 looks more like 160-180 and then the 10 day wait for the PayPal funds to be available, eBay isn't so great for the occasional seller.
$160 PayPal 10 days later is still better than $70 in best buy store credit.

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

what I hate of selling in eBay is that apart from the 10% fee from eBay, PayPal also charges you a fee in the process, PayPal is suppose to be part of eBay so its like eBay charge you for anything you do as a seller. Milking out of your sell price as much as they can.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
what I hate of selling in eBay is that apart from the 10% fee from eBay, PayPal also charges you a fee in the process, PayPal is suppose to be part of eBay so its like eBay charge you for anything you do as a seller. Milking out of your sell price as much as they can.
exactly

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
$160 PayPal 10 days later is still better than $70 in best buy store credit.
totally agree, hence my decision to just keep the RT and forego Best buy trade in. Mostly just co-miserating with a fellow Surface owner about really how under valued and under appreciated this device is, since it's not an Apple device and all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb