Type 2 cover backlight not working

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had this bug before, made me look like a fool when it started working shortly after posting the thread. Try restarting the system, or disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard. Also as stated above try hitting the brightness keys with FN + F2. I've found in the past FN didn't work but Alt+F2 did... I'm not sure why.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had this bug before, made me look like a fool when it started working shortly after posting the thread. Try restarting the system, or disconnecting and reconnecting the keyboard. Also as stated above try hitting the brightness keys with FN + F2. I've found in the past FN didn't work but Alt+F2 did... I'm not sure why.
Because fn+f2 enables the function button "f2" and NOT the back light button.
Alt f2 will also do nothing other than treat the f2 button as normal.

So, to clarify, do NOT press any other combination of buttons, other than the f2 button on its own!

karlphillip

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Problem solved!

One day I noticed that Home, End, PgUp, PgDn and the backlight keys on Type Cover 2 where not working properly.
Pressing those keys was actually activating their secondary functions (F1 - F12) and that was quite annoying.
An intermediary fix for this problem is to hold the Fn key while pressing Home, End, PgUp, PgDn and the others at the first row.
Ain't nobody got time for that!

This happened out of the blue because I had accidentally pressed Fn + Caps on the keyboard.
Pressing these 2 keys again reverted back to standard behavior.

TTYL

theprince_9

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi.

I'm new here.

I bought a Surface Pro 2 a month ago. I attached my wife's Surface RT's touch cover to it a couple of weeks ago and never used it again.

I got a type 2 cover today. All keys work fine but the F1 and F2 key do not dim / light the keyboard. It is lit up but I can't dim it or turn the light off.

I don't know if this is due to the fact that I attached the touch cover (1st gen) previously. I don't want to do a refresh as I have many programs installed including Adobe Suite amongst others. I've searched many forums all day today to no avail.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I love the new keyboard, but I hate having the dim/bright keys for the keyboard. I hardy ever need to change it, and I really want to replace them with volume controls.

Lindsey Frock

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I was having this issue as well but I had to hit the FN key + the F2 key? Weird that some of these are responding differently...But so glad I figured out how to toggle that switch! Its been on so long, my cat must have hit this combo walking across my keyboard lol

Caffslave

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks karlphillip - I tried the Fn+F2 solution that ChazTyldsley suggested and it worked!... but didn't realise that I still had the same home, end, Pgup, Pgdown problem as you had until I tested it and YES your solution fixed my UNDERLYING problem, whereas Chaz's solution only fixed the backlight SYMPTOM, but thanks to you both.

BTW Because I had this underlying problem, hitting the F2 key on its own as suggested by Racing Snake did *NOT* enable the backlight.

Cheers
Another happy camper

Last edited:

in2caffeine

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
You are the man!

"This happened out of the blue because I had accidentally pressed Fn + Caps on the keyboard.
Pressing these 2 keys again reverted back to standard behavior."

Fixed my Type Cover 2!!

fplouw

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! the Fn+Caps (inverts which Fn key buttons work without having to press Fn first) trick is by far the most useful hint I have seen in a very long time...did not know that!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills