10-02-2014 02:39 PM
115 12345
tools
    Is it advisable to keep the app updates to manual or automatic ?
    It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer "manual". I like to know what I'm updating and have control over when. For example, if I'm going to be giving a powerpoint presentation this afternoon, I'm not likely to upgrade powerpoint in the morning.
    rav16 likes this.
    03-03-2014 12:54 PM
    Is it advisable to keep the app updates to manual or automatic ?
    I had a firmware update yesterday and had to redo all the settings so I'm going with manually updating from now on.
    rav16 likes this.
    03-03-2014 01:47 PM
    I had a firmware update yesterday and had to redo all the settings so I'm going with manually updating from now on.
    What firmware update you got? Btw I have set it to manual and I see 11 updates when I click on it it takes forever and then gives me a message that store is not available. But at the same time I can surf the store too. Has anyone faced such kind of situation and what is the remedy?
    03-03-2014 10:25 PM
    What firmware update you got? Btw I have set it to manual and I see 11 updates when I click on it it takes forever and then gives me a message that store is not available. But at the same time I can surf the store too. Has anyone faced such kind of situation and what is the remedy?
    Sorry for the bad information, it was a firmware update from 15-01-14 but I got it on 02-03 not sure why but it may have been because I wiped the rt completely a few days ago.

A list of all that I have got.
    Attached Thumbnails screenshot-5-.png   screenshot-1-.png   screenshot-2-.png   screenshot-3-.png   screenshot-4-.png  

rav16 likes this.
    03-04-2014 03:32 AM
    Ok, Here's what I did. When you right click the Windows Defender folder click on Permissions. Then click the Advanced button. At the top of the Advanced security settings it says Owner: click change. Then where is says "Enter the object name to select" type in "Users". Click ok. Then Ok again. Now you should be able to check off the full control box for Everyone.
    Ok, I'm a little lost. Where is the Windows Defender folder?
    03-15-2014 03:49 PM
    This is such a great thread! Tried just a few of these tricks including the graphic performance ones and the IE11 TPL list ones above (didn't feel brave enough to mess about with the reg files...) and those alone have really made it REALLY zippy. I can live without the flips/transitions I think, given how much they apparently are slowing things up on my Surface2. Love it.
    03-16-2014 02:54 PM
    Ok, I'm a little lost. Where is the Windows Defender folder?
    Look at post 12 and look at the first tip in that post but also use the tip that you quoted.
    03-16-2014 03:54 PM
    Look at post 12 and look at the first tip in that post but also use the tip that you quoted.
    Thanks. I was missing that HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Apparently I haven't messed around with the registry enough to start learning shorthand.
    03-16-2014 04:25 PM
    Thanks. I was missing that HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Apparently I haven't messed around with the registry enough to start learning shorthand.
    So have you sorted it now?
    03-16-2014 05:22 PM
    Yep. Thanks.
    03-16-2014 05:50 PM
    Cool, what do you think of the difference it makes?
    03-16-2014 05:57 PM
    Cool, what do you think of the difference it makes?
    It makes less of a difference on my Surface 2 than it did on my Surface RT. These tips really help the RT, not so much on the 2.
    03-16-2014 06:14 PM
    It makes less of a difference on my Surface 2 than it did on my Surface RT. These tips really help the RT, not so much on the 2.
    I found the same with my Nokia 2520, it made a noticeable difference but no where near as much of a difference as it did on my Surface RT

I was going to get a Surface 2 last week but I have decided to wait for the lte version. I think it's a pity they changed the colour on the 2 as I prefer the black.
    03-17-2014 02:21 AM
    I found the same with my Nokia 2520, it made a noticeable difference but no where near as much of a difference as it did on my Surface RT

I was going to get a Surface 2 last week but I have decided to wait for the lte version. I think it's a pity they changed the colour on the 2 as I prefer the black.
    tell me about it. I loved the dark look of the RT... it looked very much like my Zune HD and I considered the RT to be the Zune tablet that many of us fans were looking for.
    03-17-2014 10:37 AM
    Very interesting. thanks for this.
    03-17-2014 04:45 PM
    If you want to Improve your IE Browsing Speed even further:

1. Go to Network Adapters -> Right click on Wi-Fi Adapter -> Properties ->Deselect IPv6 TCP/IP and close the window;
    2. Open Command Prompt -> Write: "ipconfig /flushdns" and give Enter
    3. Reboot you S2 and enjoy the snappier pages loading :)
    rav16 and NikCR7 like this.
    03-18-2014 01:46 AM

1. Go to Network Adapters -> Right click on Wi-Fi Adapter -> Properties ->Deselect IPv6 TCP/IP and close the window;
    As of now already the s2 is fast with webpage rendering , with the mod suggested by you how big is the difference ? Is it evidently noticeable ?
    03-18-2014 03:05 AM
    As of now already the s2 is fast with webpage rendering , with the mod suggested by you how big is the difference ? Is it evidently noticeable ?
    Page rendering will remain the same.
    What is faster will be the DNS Lookup of pages:

Before it will require some seconds to the host and the page to be identified and then rendered.

After this tweak the lookup will be almost instant and page begin to render almost immediately. :)
    03-18-2014 03:13 AM

Okay when I do what you said it just brought up the page below, am I doing something wrong?
    Attached Thumbnails screenshot-7-.png  
    03-18-2014 06:16 AM
    When watching a YouTube video in full screen:

**don't exit using the original size button, as this will prevent you from scrolling vertically afterwards.

**Do double click the video you are watching, it will send you back to the original size retaining full functionality of IE.
    Neo Nuke likes this.
    03-18-2014 07:11 AM
    I'm curious about battery life after some of these changes on my Surface 2, not sure if it has affected something negatively or I'm just being unrealistic with my expectations..
    I leave the house with 99% 'fully charged' and after approximately 4hrs sleeping with no use at all but connected to my work WiFi its down to 81%. Does that sound like reasonable drain in standby with NO use to you? Something I can do to improve on that, managing background tasks or something perhaps?
    03-18-2014 08:45 AM
    I'm curious about battery life after some of these changes on my Surface 2, not sure if it has affected something negatively or I'm just being unrealistic with my expectations..
    I leave the house with 99% 'fully charged' and after approximately 4hrs sleeping with no use at all but connected to my work WiFi its down to 81%. Does that sound like reasonable drain in standby with NO use to you? Something I can do to improve on that, managing background tasks or something perhaps?
    I lose .5% per hour when not in use. Over 8 hours at night I lose 4% but that is on my RT and not a Surface 2
    03-18-2014 10:49 AM
    Do you have any email accounts defined in the Mail program? If so, check the settings for each account. (Settings -> Account - > email_addr -> Download new email) The default is "as items arrive". I have found that "as items arrive" is a significant battery life killer. I set mine to "hourly" but for your testing I'd set it to "manual".
    03-18-2014 11:18 AM
    Do you have any email accounts defined in the Mail program? If so, check the settings for each account. (Settings -> Account - > email_addr -> Download new email) The default is "as items arrive". I have found that "as items arrive" is a significant battery life killer. I set mine to "hourly" but for your testing I'd set it to "manual".
    I agree.
    After a full Reset, applying all my Tweaks in this thread, putting Email to 1-Hour check and Turning Off Bluetooth...

...my Surface 2 drops only 1-3% of battery life after one night (7-8 hours) in Connected Standby, without touching it.
    03-18-2014 12:05 PM
    Okay when I do what you said it just brought up the page below, am I doing something wrong?
    You just have to insert that command from "Command Prompt" app, and not Search Charm.

You can find it typing CMD in Search Charm.
    Will6371 likes this.
    03-18-2014 12:10 PM
115 12345