10-02-2014 02:39 PM
115 ... 2345
tools
    Do you have any email accounts defined in the Mail program? If so, check the settings for each account. (Settings -> Account - > email_addr -> Download new email) The default is "as items arrive". I have found that "as items arrive" is a significant battery life killer. I set mine to "hourly" but for your testing I'd set it to "manual".
    Just as a matter of interest how do you find the battery in your Surface 2 compared to the RT?
    03-18-2014 12:12 PM
    I agree.
    After a full Reset, applying all my Tweaks in this thread, putting Email to 1-Hour check and Turning Off Bluetooth...

...my Surface 2 drops only 1-3% of battery life after one night (7-8 hours) in Connected Standby, without touching it.
    interesting. Just after posting my question I remembered the tip with the email scheduling you referred to (as on WP8) so i applied the 'hourly' alteration. I also disabled some of the live tiles that i deemed less essential-would not have considered that had i not read it here! Regarding the Live Tiles, after the changes detailed earlier in the thread about optimising graphic performance, their updating/refreshing is instant now (as i expected) but it also seems more frequent.. is this just because the standard sliding refresh transition makes those tiles render more slowly or are they likely to be refreshing/gathering info more quickly? They seem to cycle away more rapidly than I remembered.

Also Bluetooth was ON and i didn't know it was.. is that a default? how annoying if so lol!

I'm not looking to do a full reset anytime soon, but was this done for battery calibration purposes?

thank you for the tips so far too. interesting stuff!
    03-18-2014 12:51 PM
    Just as a matter of interest how do you find the battery in your Surface 2 compared to the RT?
    My initial observation was that battery life on the Surface 2 was slightly but noticeably less than the RT. That was before I remembered the email account settings. After making those changes battery life on the 2 now seems to be slightly but noticeably better than the RT. I might need to re-remember some of the other changes I made to my RT.

Will6371 likes this.
    03-18-2014 01:00 PM
    The Windows Defender disable does nothing to graphical performance on my RT. Dunno why. I was disappointed, tbh.
    03-18-2014 04:11 PM
    The Windows Defender disable does nothing to graphical performance on my RT. Dunno why. I was disappointed, tbh.
    I think it is a combination of all the tips that makes the difference.
    03-18-2014 06:03 PM
    The changes I made even without any window defender changes, made a big difference.
    03-19-2014 03:18 AM
    The biggest difference I saw was after I deleted cache, cookies, and history.
    03-19-2014 06:01 AM
    I just got my 2520 and I'm loving it. I knew it could be faster somehow...these tips should do the trick!

My only complaint is that my parents iPad gets email much faster than the metro mail app :/
    Any way way to sort that or is it solely down to the app? I have it set to 'as items arrive'. Ironic that the iPad receives the outlook / hotmail emails straight away and with the mail app on rt I have to force a sync as it usually says up to date.
    Last edited by ShadowShataan; 03-21-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    03-19-2014 06:27 AM
    The biggest difference I saw was after I deleted cache, cookies, and history.
    how to delete cache,cookies & history? sorry i'm new
    03-19-2014 10:26 PM
    Swipe to Charms while in IE. In Options, it's there.
    03-20-2014 08:11 AM
    Can the surface 2 support a 128gig micro SD card?
    03-28-2014 02:08 PM

1) You can block unwanted Banners/Ads/Malware and Annoying Social Fuzz with "Tracking Protection Lists" build right in IE11. Just go HERE and Add "EasyList", "EasyPrivacy" and "Privacy Choice" TPLs (you will make pages rendering/loading faster too);
    Not working anymore
    04-01-2014 12:34 AM
    Not working anymore
    Are you sure that they are not disabled?

To check you need to open tools in IE but if you don't have the tools bar you need to -

In IE touch and hold the coloured bar at the top for a second or two and let go.

In the box touch Menu Bar

Select tools

Select Manage Add-ons

Select Tracking protection and make sure that they are all still enabled.
    04-01-2014 04:04 AM
    Just found this article about optimizing to maximum the Windows Virtual Memory management: How to optimise your Windows swap file: Should you turn off virtual memory altogether? | News | TechRadar

Look at the final results:

It appears that Set a fixed, very low, amount of Page File/Virtual Memory (on the same HDD/SSD where Windows is located) dramatically boosts the smoothness of Windows operations, and its apps.
    I'm going to immediately test this later today, using a fixed Set at: 256MB - 256MB.

And i will change my specific tip on first post too:
    Set a static Virtual Memory Pagefile - Creating a static Virtual Memory Pagefile means that Windows does not continuosly scan the cache memory management trying to understand how much memory must be allocated to Virtual Memory, and with a fixed size performance the system will immediately benefit from it.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Settings -> Performance Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Virtual Memory.
    Un-check the "automatic" box, and set Initial VM size to: 256MB , and the End VM size to 256MB too. Click to "Set"
    Apply and Reboot.

Let me know if it worked for you as well
    Will6371 likes this.
    04-08-2014 05:42 AM
    So far so good, I think Paolo

Thanks again.
    04-08-2014 03:30 PM
    So far so good, I think Paolo

Thanks again.
    Yesterday evening I Refreshed my Surface 2, installed 8.1 Update 1, and Re-Tweaked everything (with this new Virtual Memory tweak (256MB) included).
    Tested for a couple of hours, and the smoothness was even better then it was before, really rock-solid speed everywere and always.

I closed the Type Cover 2 and went to sleep, but this morning when I opened the cover I got a Sleep of Death: the screen got stuck on black, and I was forced to do an Hard Reset, and everything was back to normal.

I checked my Logs, and it wasn't a Display issue, but a "Windows shutdown error" one.
    Never had a SoD in months, this is the first time, and I don't know if it's Virtual Memory related (maybe 256MB is too low) or not.
    Or maybe it was only a one time bug after all these changes, dunno.

I will keep testing the stability and I will report, but I'm not worried much: 2GB RAM + 256MB Swap is perfectly fine for any circumstance on an RT platform.
    If it will crash again I would try increasing it to 512MB.
    04-09-2014 03:40 AM
    No problems with mine this morning with the touch 2 cover.

I have just updated to 8.1.1 and it is running a little slow again but I will run through everything and see if the update changed any of the changes I made.

After changing VM to 256mb the only problem I had for a short while was this website wouldn't load but that could have been a problem with the site. All other sites I use regularly were fine.
    04-09-2014 05:09 AM
    After 24 Hourse straight in sleep, no more crashes for me neither, and everything's super fast.
    Tweak highly recommended. ^_^
    04-10-2014 12:31 AM
    Just found this article about optimizing to maximum the Windows Virtual Memory management: How to optimise your Windows swap file: Should you turn off virtual memory altogether? | News | TechRadar

Look at the final results: http://cdn4.mos.techradar.futurecdn....rks-900-90.jpg

It appears that Set a fixed, very low, amount of Page File/Virtual Memory (on the same HDD/SSD where Windows is located) dramatically boosts the smoothness of Windows operations, and its apps.
    I'm going to immediately test this later today, using a fixed Set at: 256MB - 256MB.

And i will change my specific tip on first post too:
    Set a static Virtual Memory Pagefile - Creating a static Virtual Memory Pagefile means that Windows does not continuosly scan the cache memory management trying to understand how much memory must be allocated to Virtual Memory, and with a fixed size performance the system will immediately benefit from it.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Settings -> Performance Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Virtual Memory.
    Un-check the "automatic" box, and set Initial VM size to: 256MB , and the End VM size to 256MB too. Click to "Set"
    Apply and Reboot.

Let me know if it worked for you as well
    After doing this I've been getting system low on memory notifications. don't know if it's directly linked though, has anyone else tried it and got these messages?
    04-11-2014 12:17 AM
    After doing this I've been getting system low on memory notifications. don't know if it's directly linked though, has anyone else tried it and got these messages?
    Yes, it's related, but I didn't get those messages so far.
    Try to increase VM to 512MB then, and see what happens
    PLGomez likes this.
    04-11-2014 12:37 AM
    No messages for either, I am doing this on my Surface RT by the way as I haven't got my Surface 2's from the US yet.
    04-11-2014 06:38 AM
    Just noticed that some standby'd apps close themselves with only 256MB of VM, while they stay'd frozen before the tweak.
    I'm trying to set again the 1997 value (the Windows recommended one from the Advanced performance Settings window), and see if performance will remain similar or not.

I'll let you know!

Update2: started to get "low Memory warning", so I've set the recommended amount of VM: 1997MB.

It's ok now
    Last edited by Paolo Cardelli; 04-12-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    PLGomez likes this.
    04-11-2014 12:13 PM
    I just set it to 1997 as well. We'll see how it goes.
    04-12-2014 11:19 AM
    I just set it to 1997 as well. We'll see how it goes.
    With 1997 is ok.
    But I tried another experiment today: setting NO Page File at all.

So that:

-Only active RAM (even faster than SSD) is used;
    -No "crash dumps" are created by the OS (200MB less memory used) -> and less CPU utilization without monitoring;
    -No "low memory" warnings (in theory)

And yes, the Surface 2 is at its snappiest form I ever saw for now.

The only drawback is that approximately only around 9-10 apps can stay opened in multitasking, after that the less used will be automatically closed.
    I'm going to test this for some days, and I'll report then.

For now: incredible speed gain.
    04-12-2014 03:01 PM
    With 1997 is ok.
    But I tried another experiment today: setting NO Page File at all.

So that:

-Only active RAM (even faster than SSD) is used;
    -No "crash dumps" are created by the OS (200MB less memory used) -> and less CPU utilization without monitoring;
    -No "low memory" warnings (in theory)

And yes, the Surface 2 is at its snappiest form I ever saw for now.

The only drawback is that approximately only around 9-10 apps can stay opened in multitasking, after that the less used will be automatically closed.
    I'm going to test this for some days, and I'll report then.

For now: incredible speed gain.
    do-not-think-means.jpeg
    04-12-2014 03:05 PM
115 ... 2345