Surface 2: What tips and tricks do you have to tell?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Paolo, one problem that I have is that if someone puts a video in a thread I can't see or play it. There is nothing there for me to see just a blank space where the video would have been. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Paolo, one problem that I have is that if someone puts a video in a thread I can't see or play it. There is nothing there for me to see just a blank space where the video would have been. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks
Restore IE11 (see above) and be sure to have latest updates installed (check Windows Updates). Reboot, and try again.

Videos and Flash should always work.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Restore IE11 (see above) and be sure to have latest updates installed (check Windows Updates). Reboot, and try again.

Videos and Flash should always work.

Again thank you, I was thinking it was something that I did because I can see the videos when I'm on my Nokia 2520 with the same settings.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
That's weird.
I suggest you to reset yout IE11 to default settings and then re-apply TPLs.

Go to IE11 (Desktop) -> File -> Settings -> Advanced tab -> Restore Defaults.

They should work properly then (be sure to add EasyList, EasyPrivacy and PrivacyChoice at least).

Ads should be gone with them.

When I tap on file there is no "settings" in the drop down box.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that did the job.

By the way just loading this page afterwards shows how good the tips you posted are.

Now I have another problem, I done what you said about resetting IE but when I when to do your tips again there were still set including the easy lists and privacy lists but I'm still getting all the ads and the rt is as slow as it was before.

I checked and I don't have any updates by the way.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay I even tried wiping it completely and starting afresh but when I try to ad the easy list, privacy list and privacy choice it says that it is already added but I'm still getting all the ads and slow page loading.

Help

Okay panic over, after going into tools and looking in "manage ad-one I found that they had been all disabled and the problem with not seeing the videos was down to having the stop Google tracking option on it. I disabled that and now I can see the videos and my rt is almost as fast as my 2520 was.

Happy days again ��

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Is it advisable to keep the app updates to manual or automatic ?
It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer "manual". I like to know what I'm updating and have control over when. For example, if I'm going to be giving a powerpoint presentation this afternoon, I'm not likely to upgrade powerpoint in the morning.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I had a firmware update yesterday and had to redo all the settings so I'm going with manually updating from now on.
What firmware update you got? Btw I have set it to manual and I see 11 updates when I click on it it takes forever and then gives me a message that store is not available. But at the same time I can surf the store too. Has anyone faced such kind of situation and what is the remedy?

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
What firmware update you got? Btw I have set it to manual and I see 11 updates when I click on it it takes forever and then gives me a message that store is not available. But at the same time I can surf the store too. Has anyone faced such kind of situation and what is the remedy?

Sorry for the bad information, it was a firmware update from 15-01-14 but I got it on 02-03 not sure why but it may have been because I wiped the rt completely a few days ago.

A list of all that I have got.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    145.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    146.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    178.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    171.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    170.2 KB · Views: 19

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok, Here's what I did. When you right click the Windows Defender folder click on Permissions. Then click the Advanced button. At the top of the Advanced security settings it says Owner: click change. Then where is says "Enter the object name to select" type in "Users". Click ok. Then Ok again. Now you should be able to check off the full control box for Everyone.

Ok, I'm a little lost. Where is the Windows Defender folder?

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This is such a great thread! Tried just a few of these tricks including the graphic performance ones and the IE11 TPL list ones above (didn't feel brave enough to mess about with the reg files...) and those alone have really made it REALLY zippy. I can live without the flips/transitions I think, given how much they apparently are slowing things up on my Surface2. Love it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss