Surface 2: What tips and tricks do you have to tell?

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I just got my 2520 and I'm loving it. I knew it could be faster somehow...these tips should do the trick!

My only complaint is that my parents iPad gets email much faster than the metro mail app :/
Any way way to sort that or is it solely down to the app? I have it set to 'as items arrive'. Ironic that the iPad receives the outlook / hotmail emails straight away and with the mail app on rt I have to force a sync as it usually says up to date.

Last edited:

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Not working anymore

Are you sure that they are not disabled?

To check you need to open tools in IE but if you don't have the tools bar you need to -

In IE touch and hold the coloured bar at the top for a second or two and let go.

In the box touch Menu Bar

Select tools

Select Manage Add-ons

Select Tracking protection and make sure that they are all still enabled.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Just found this article about optimizing to maximum the Windows Virtual Memory management: How to optimise your Windows swap file: Should you turn off virtual memory altogether? | News | TechRadar

Look at the final results:
PCF230benchmarks-900-90.jpg

It appears that Set a fixed, very low, amount of Page File/Virtual Memory (on the same HDD/SSD where Windows is located) dramatically boosts the smoothness of Windows operations, and its apps.
I'm going to immediately test this later today, using a fixed Set at: 256MB - 256MB.

And i will change my specific tip on first post too:
Set a static Virtual Memory Pagefile - Creating a static Virtual Memory Pagefile means that Windows does not continuosly scan the cache memory management trying to understand how much memory must be allocated to Virtual Memory, and with a fixed size performance the system will immediately benefit from it.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Settings -> Performance Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Virtual Memory.
Un-check the "automatic" box, and set Initial VM size to: 256MB , and the End VM size to 256MB too. Click to "Set"
Apply and Reboot.

Let me know if it worked for you as well :devil:

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
So far so good, I think Paolo

Thanks again.
Yesterday evening I Refreshed my Surface 2, installed 8.1 Update 1, and Re-Tweaked everything (with this new Virtual Memory tweak (256MB) included).
Tested for a couple of hours, and the smoothness was even better then it was before, really rock-solid speed everywere and always.

I closed the Type Cover 2 and went to sleep, but this morning when I opened the cover I got a Sleep of Death: the screen got stuck on black, and I was forced to do an Hard Reset, and everything was back to normal.

I checked my Logs, and it wasn't a Display issue, but a "Windows shutdown error" one.
Never had a SoD in months, this is the first time, and I don't know if it's Virtual Memory related (maybe 256MB is too low) or not.
Or maybe it was only a one time bug after all these changes, dunno.

I will keep testing the stability and I will report, but I'm not worried much: 2GB RAM + 256MB Swap is perfectly fine for any circumstance on an RT platform.
If it will crash again I would try increasing it to 512MB.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
No problems with mine this morning with the touch 2 cover.

I have just updated to 8.1.1 and it is running a little slow again but I will run through everything and see if the update changed any of the changes I made.

After changing VM to 256mb the only problem I had for a short while was this website wouldn't load but that could have been a problem with the site. All other sites I use regularly were fine.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Just found this article about optimizing to maximum the Windows Virtual Memory management: How to optimise your Windows swap file: Should you turn off virtual memory altogether? | News | TechRadar

Look at the final results: http://cdn4.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//Review images/PC Format/PCF 230/PCF230benchmarks-900-90.jpg

It appears that Set a fixed, very low, amount of Page File/Virtual Memory (on the same HDD/SSD where Windows is located) dramatically boosts the smoothness of Windows operations, and its apps.
I'm going to immediately test this later today, using a fixed Set at: 256MB - 256MB.

And i will change my specific tip on first post too:
Set a static Virtual Memory Pagefile - Creating a static Virtual Memory Pagefile means that Windows does not continuosly scan the cache memory management trying to understand how much memory must be allocated to Virtual Memory, and with a fixed size performance the system will immediately benefit from it.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Settings -> Performance Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Virtual Memory.
Un-check the "automatic" box, and set Initial VM size to: 256MB , and the End VM size to 256MB too. Click to "Set"
Apply and Reboot.

Let me know if it worked for you as well :devil:

After doing this I've been getting system low on memory notifications. don't know if it's directly linked though, has anyone else tried it and got these messages?

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
After doing this I've been getting system low on memory notifications. don't know if it's directly linked though, has anyone else tried it and got these messages?
Yes, it's related, but I didn't get those messages so far.
Try to increase VM to 512MB then, and see what happens

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

No messages for either, I am doing this on my Surface RT by the way as I haven't got my Surface 2's from the US yet.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Just noticed that some standby'd apps close themselves with only 256MB of VM, while they stay'd frozen before the tweak.
I'm trying to set again the 1997 value (the Windows recommended one from the Advanced performance Settings window), and see if performance will remain similar or not.

I'll let you know!

Update2: started to get "low Memory warning", so I've set the recommended amount of VM: 1997MB.

It's ok now

Last edited:

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I just set it to 1997 as well. We'll see how it goes.
With 1997 is ok.
But I tried another experiment today: setting NO Page File at all.

So that:

-Only active RAM (even faster than SSD) is used;
-No "crash dumps" are created by the OS (200MB less memory used) -> and less CPU utilization without monitoring;
-No "low memory" warnings (in theory)

And yes, the Surface 2 is at its snappiest form I ever saw for now.

The only drawback is that approximately only around 9-10 apps can stay opened in multitasking, after that the less used will be automatically closed.
I'm going to test this for some days, and I'll report then.

For now: incredible speed gain.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
With 1997 is ok.
But I tried another experiment today: setting NO Page File at all.

So that:

-Only active RAM (even faster than SSD) is used;
-No "crash dumps" are created by the OS (200MB less memory used) -> and less CPU utilization without monitoring;
-No "low memory" warnings (in theory)

And yes, the Surface 2 is at its snappiest form I ever saw for now.

The only drawback is that approximately only around 9-10 apps can stay opened in multitasking, after that the less used will be automatically closed.
I'm going to test this for some days, and I'll report then.

For now: incredible speed gain.
Do-not-think-it-means.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99