Debating on getting Surface 2 or Lumia 2520

flotto

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
my ipad mini is pissing me off and i'm thinking on switching away from apple completely now. i have a luma 1020 phone and have started to love the windows operating system. i went into the microsoft store thinking the lumia 2520 was for me but left thinking the surface 2 might be the best option. i'm a little worried about losing my itunes movies, magazines, etc. so that's the only real thing holding me back from pulling the trigger. any ideas on which tablet i should go with?

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't tell the media you prefer Microsoft products over Apple because everyone loves Apple and everyone hates Microsoft :)

To be honest I had the same debate as you, I personally hate the Tegra chips in the Surface and much prefer Snapdragons. I think the Nokia tablet has the superior screen but has a much worse keyboard and design. I eventually bought a Surface 2. If typing is important to you I'd go for the surface it's a far better typing experience.

Also the surface has a full sized USB and the Nokia has a micro-usb which is annoying!

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention, someone with a 2520 can correct me but when it launched it couldn't play Asphalt 8 which is one of the best games on the app store (and it's free!)

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
my ipad mini is pissing me off and i'm thinking on switching away from apple completely now. i have a luma 1020 phone and have started to love the windows operating system. i went into the microsoft store thinking the lumia 2520 was for me but left thinking the surface 2 might be the best option. i'm a little worried about losing my itunes movies, magazines, etc. so that's the only real thing holding me back from pulling the trigger. any ideas on which tablet i should go with?

I would personally go with the Surface 2. You get a full USB 3.0 port, a little bigger screen, an amazing build with the kickstand that makes a huge difference, the cool accessories, AND the 200 GB of Skydrive, and 1 year of skype calling.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I had both devices. For me, the S2 is much better. The kickstand makes the device so versatile. I also much prefer the keyboard design over Nokia's, which it too much like a laptop/convertible. The only reason I would chose the 2520 is if I needed the LTE, which I don't. The Nokia apps are useless. Again, just my opinion. I have Drive on my phone, MixRadio is available on all W8 devices, and Storyteller is a buggy mess on the tablet. Also, as mentioned above, having USB 3.0 and microhd easily accessible is a huge bonus. The 2520 is decent, and a bit smaller in overall feel, but the S2 is an impressive piece of hardware, and very functional.

For the op, I would consider what's pissing you off about the iPad and determine if it's correctable. I say this because it sounds like you have a lot invested in the Apple ecosystem which would probably require repurchasing if you move to W8. Of course, since you are a WP8 user, once you moved it all over you'd probably be much happier overall.

flotto

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I had both devices. For me, the S2 is much better. The kickstand makes the device so versatile. I also much prefer the keyboard design over Nokia's, which it too much like a laptop/convertible. The only reason I would chose the 2520 is if I needed the LTE, which I don't. The Nokia apps are useless. Again, just my opinion. I have Drive on my phone, MixRadio is available on all W8 devices, and Storyteller is a buggy mess on the tablet. Also, as mentioned above, having USB 3.0 and microhd easily accessible is a huge bonus. The 2520 is decent, and a bit smaller in overall feel, but the S2 is an impressive piece of hardware, and very functional.

For the op, I would consider what's pissing you off about the iPad and determine if it's correctable. I say this because it sounds like you have a lot invested in the Apple ecosystem which would probably require repurchasing if you move to W8. Of course, since you are a WP8 user, once you moved it all over you'd probably be much happier overall.

I'd agree I've had a decent amount invested, but most of my music are files on an external hard drive. My wife still has an iPad we can use for the movies and that's only for travel really.

I have switched my phone already which you can load music off iTunes and I will always have one apple device for certain apps I use at work. The S2 did seem like a great tablet and more functional than an iPad as a replacement laptop. Nokias keyboard size worried me and until last night I hadn't used the S2 at all.

Darren Lay

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if the Surface 2 improves on this, but the paint on my RT is peeling away. It is not a pleasing feeling to pickup my Surface and feel the paint chip away underneath my fingers. The Lumia has a poly carbonate back, so you definitely won't have to worry about that happening.

CafeChemist

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
The paint on the Surface 2 chips away as well. After 2 months of careful handling (carried in a soft sleeve when not in use) the coating had chipped away in several spots on the corners and sides.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I would go for the Surface, I have a Surface Pro 2 and the experience is amazing. I really do think long term the Surface 2 will be much better supported than the 2520 will. Supporting I mean accessories that are compatible with the device, MS has the touch and type key boards and are both backlit, MS has also said a power cover is coming. The music attachment (can't thing of the name right now) and who knows what else MS has up their sleeves, the surfaces are still new.

The 2520 is a Nokia device before the MS era so who knows how long it will be main stream.

nwtravler

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the 2520 for 3 weeks. It was a nice unit but I'm so glad I returned it and got the Surface. The 2520 screen was a fingerprint magnet, it wasn't as slick to swipe on, and didn't feel as good in the hand. I liked the camera better on the Nokia but really how often do we take pictures with the tablet? I like the keyboard better on the Surface, Nokia didn't have one available and that was a big deal.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I went through the same process. It was a very tough call for me. I really longed for Lumia's display but ended buying a S2 mainly because I didn't want to go through ATT.

S2:
- Metal build.
- Kickstand (It's VERY useful)
- Best tablet keyboard (Bought a Type 2 cover)
- 200GB Skydrive
- Free Skype for 1 year

Lumia 2520:
- One of a kind screen. S2 screen is not bad at all but Lumia beats S2.
- LTE
- More battery with optional keyboard
- Possibly cheaper than S2 with recent offers from ATT. They have $100 rebate for new tablets. Additional $100 off if you buy a Lumia phone. That makes it $200 plus data usage. If you add $10/mo for LTE data share, total over 2 yr contract comes out to about $440. Pretty cheap for tablet + LTE service.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I used to support the 2520, but TBH now I'm really tempted by the Surface2, better design. It lacks on the connectivity side, but I think it is overall better.

Looking at numbers floating over the internet, you can see that the Surface 2 got more popularity, yet I know this "until now" means nothing on this forum, most of us are early adopters who do not care about the popularity factor. hehe :D

oliverr871

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
As someone who has had both devices, I ended up with the Nokia Lumia 2520. The wireless 4G/LTE connectivity, excellent screen, short charging times (coupled with long battery life) and portability of the tablet were all important aspects that helped my decision.

The Lumia is easier to hold around and comfortable because of the rounded edges VS. the sharp angles of the surface. Also because the screen is not too big, it is manageable to hold in portrait mode and much more comfortable. The soft touch of the device (black) is a bonus so it is pleasing to the touch. I also enjoy the super-fast charging (0-80% in one hour) so I can enjoy the tablet more on the go instead of being plugged in all the time, and I can get away with not charging. The power keyboard adds two USB ports, touchpad, physical keys along with an additional battery to supplement the main battery. It is also designed like a portfolio so it wraps and protects the tablet. I know the Surface will be offering a power keyboard with the battery priced at $199, with the Nokia Power Keyboard priced at $149.The lack of a physical USB port on the Lumia is not a drawback, you can find a OTG adapter for $3-5 if you look around.

Both screens are good, however the Nokia screen simply is unmatched by any tablet on the market for having the best color accuracy, brightest display, Nokia Clearblack to reduce reflection, and outdoor visibility. It is 74 percent brighter than the Surface 2 and 52 percent brighter than the iPad Air. You can read the view on DisplayMate, a site known for performing intense testing on displays. Windows Tablet Display Technology Shoot-Out

The only drawback I had is that the screen has no oleophobic coating, so it is a fingerprint/smudge magnet. I solved this issue buying the IllumiShield oleophobic screen protector on Amazon, and it has all the properly cutouts and significantly reduces smudges and fingerprints so it is smooth to operate the screen. I know the Surface has an oleophobic coating on it. The Surface also has the kickstand, and since I had the Surface before, the removal of such stand in the Lumia took a little time to get used to, but eventually I got over it.

Both are great devices, it just depends on how you think you will be using it. The ruggedness of the Lumia 2520 allows me to take it anywhere, indoors and outdoors, without having to worry about if it will scratch or break. Hope this was helpful and assisted you in your decision. Good luck!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I was recently faced w/this choice. I ended up getting the original Surface RT for $170 and will wait for the Surface 3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The paint on the Surface 2 chips away as well. After 2 months of careful handling (carried in a soft sleeve when not in use) the coating had chipped away in several spots on the corners and sides.

The paint/annodization on my iPad Mini is coming off all over the place - its coming off the back and the edges.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I hold the same position as Oliver above. Loving my 2520. My wife's S2 suffered a drop on tile to it's demise...but I'll be getting her another one. Initially I would have gotten myself an S2 instead of the 2520 if it wasn't for the free power keyboard cover. But now that I have it, I'm glad I went 2520.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Lumia is just much more easier to hold and use as a tablet, being lighter, slimmer, smooth edge, and smaller. the screen is better too in terms of accuracy and brightness. these are important to me. the speaker is excellent. LTE is a bonus, which doesn't add much to the price of the unit. I register it, and subscribe to pay as you go so there are no charges unless I use it.

Some cons: fingerprint magnet, so you have to get a good antifinger print screen protector. the micro usb3 needs an adaptor for most things since micro usb3 is not yet popular, but the small adaptor only costs $4. so far, I haven't found a device that works at usb3 speed through it. a new driver is needed from MS.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention, someone with a 2520 can correct me but when it launched it couldn't play Asphalt 8 which is one of the best games on the app store (and it's free!)
As a Lumia 2520 owner, I am very happy to report that Gameloft has directly responded to the issues that originally plagued their games on this tablet. Asphalt 8, Minion Rush and Dungeon Hunter 4 all work well for me now.

The Lumia Power Keyboard is an awesome add-on for the tablet and provides a truly excellent level of protection when the whole thing is collapsed around the tablet. The build quality on the one that I received is also good, though there may be a few here and there with issues (much like I've seen with Surface keyboards, actually).

The LTE radio is a very handy feature and worth having if you travel with the device.

Just a few additional thoughts. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte