Wow can a Surface ever cause a stir....in Mac land....

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
What pisses me off is that people go to a coffee shop to play on their laptop. Do it at home you sad loners. Nobody cares what hardware you have. It's like going to a pub and playing on your phone all night. Why don't you ever see these people on their laptops in McDonalds?

I go to a caf? to sit and work - on an average 3-4 times a week. That said, I also have fully equipped study at home, where I also work - on an average 8-9 hours - everyday. And, no, I don't care what device anyone uses anywhere, actually. Nor do I care whether people approve or not what device(s) I use. And, no, I don't go to pubs!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You are free to disagree but the age of an operating system is only ONE of factors to consider when deciding whether or not to deploy a new OS. Win 8 can be 5 years old and there would still be hesitancy to deploy it if it continues to rely on the Metro/Modern UI.

Training, reworking legacy software, productivity, etc. are significant costs associated with rolling out an OS upgrade. While Metro can work for basic office work, it is a complete dud for vertical, mission-critical applications.
Time will tell.

I've taken my laptop to McD's on my lunch break 
What pisses me off is that people go to a coffee shop to play on their laptop. Do it at home you sad loners. Nobody cares what hardware you have. It's like going to a pub and playing on your phone all night. Why don't you ever see these people on their laptops in McDonalds?
I very much dislike McDonald's, other than for the fries, but I have been known to sit in Shane's Rib Shack or the local diner during lunch once a week or so with either my Kindle (not a Fire) or laptop. Now I'll take my SP2.

I go to a caf? to sit and work - on an average 3-4 times a week. That said, I also have fully equipped study at home, where I also work - on an average 8-9 hours - everyday. And, no, I don't care what device anyone uses anywhere, actually. Nor do I care whether people approve or not what device(s) I use. And, no, I don't go to pubs!
Yeah, I usually take my lunch to work, and eat at my desk while surfing the net, but about once a week I go out, and sit down with laptop/kindle/ or now Surface.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I prefer Starbucks coffee to McDonald's coffee.

I don't go to pubs alone, and I wouldn't take a laptop with me if I'm in a place where people are drinking. I've already had someone accidentally knock over a glass of beer, and I ended up wearing the beer. My clothes can be washed, but I'm not going to take any chances with expensive electronic devices and spills.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

You do realize that is the vibe and culture that these coffee shops want, right? They want people do do work there while ordering coffee.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that is the vibe and culture that these coffee shops want, right? They want people do do work there while ordering coffee.

That's true. At least around here, the coffee shop atmosphere is like that of a library, only with coffee available. It's not at all like that of a bar/pub where people are socializing, playing darts/billiards, watching sports on the TVs, eating, playing the jukebox.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
That's true. At least around here, the coffee shop atmosphere is like that of a library, only with coffee available. It's not at all like that of a bar/pub where people are socializing, playing darts/billiards, watching sports on the TVs, eating, playing the jukebox.

That is what I would like a caf? to be, but unfortunately, it appears that in the UK - or at least in the town in which I currently live - that is not so. However, my experience in America was quite different - it was quite like how you describe it. Don't know what it is like now.

tofnow

May 29, 2013
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me that so many people continue to dislike Win 8/8.1 because of the "strange user interface". I can see where the Metro/Modern interface is useful on phones and tablets but it is completely unneeded for desktop use which I would expect major companies to use in non-mobile settings. For those who dislike it, just apply a free Classic Start Menu and make your desktop look and act like Classic or Windows 7. Boot directly into whichever you choose, no need to foam at the mouth about that dumb Microsoft mistake. BTW runs great on my 2008 vintage machines that started on XP Pro.

Sorry, it seems I have gotten away from the thread title but other comments in the thread triggered this response.
Back to lurk mode....:smile:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me that so many people continue to dislike Win 8/8.1 because of the "strange user interface".

May be a slight deflection ... yet still accurate.
Agreeing with why the absolute disdain for the changes in W8.

So is this quote from Satya Nadella not true?
Our industry does not respect tradition ? it only respects innovation.

... or is it only meaningful outside of the traditional Windows UI?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 is being completely embraced at my company. Not F500, by any means. But we are global with 32 locations.

Not sure I get the argument that the Metro UI disqualifies it. Our developers even signed off on W8 once they saw how their VB6 apps ran perfectly fine. Now they seem excited that the average desktop will be capable of running their legacy code AND be able to run their future (Metro) code too.

As for Starbucks? Not a frequenter. But I'm a big boy. I'm more than willing to vouch for the latest tech weapons I carry. (SP2 & 1520) No smoke & mirrors needed. This stuff really is that good!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure many others in the area I reside, you'd pretty much out yourself as a tool and/or d-bag if you gave someone grief at Starbucks or anywhere else for the device platform they are using, Windows or otherwise. Just shut up and worry about your own computer or mobile device.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You are free to disagree but the age of an operating system is only ONE of factors to consider when deciding whether or not to deploy a new OS. Win 8 can be 5 years old and there would still be hesitancy to deploy it if it continues to rely on the Metro/Modern UI.

Training, reworking legacy software, productivity, etc. are significant costs associated with rolling out an OS upgrade. While Metro can work for basic office work, it is a complete dud for vertical, mission-critical applications.
No, you're spot on. Age is only one reason, but it's a big reason. A company such as mine isn't going to roll out an immature OS. And in the case of rolling out to Windows 7, it has taken much longer because of going from x86 to x64. The number of critical legacy apps at my site alone is staggering. Rolling out to W8 or W9 from W7 would be much easier, more cost effective, and quicker.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Talking about cafes, the Apple crowd and the Surface in one breath...I carry two tablets with me all the time - the Surface 2 and the iPad. So, when I am working in the caf?, I usually have both out on the table - writing on the Surface and looking up my reference books on the iPad...probably confuses the heck out of those few people who care about such things, I guess! I suppose, I could confuse them a bit more by taking my Nexus 10 along too (which I use solely for watching movies/ TV shows)!!!

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I usually work at home but like to get out for a change, one in awhile. Today, I went to this new co-working place:

Home | Oakland

It was fairly busy, basically a laptop haven. I was surprised at the high concentration of Macs. I walked through the place and saw the Apple logo everywhere. I'm sure there were others, but the only Windows machine I noticed was mine! Maybe I just don't get out enough.

Nobody said anything, at least not to my face. :wink:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I usually work at home but like to get out for a change, one in awhile. Today, I went to this new co-working place:

Home | Oakland

It was fairly busy, basically a laptop haven. I was surprised at the high concentration of Macs. I walked through the place and saw the Apple logo everywhere. I'm sure there were others, but the only Windows machine I noticed was mine! Maybe I just don't get out enough.

I think it's probably because of the type of place. I never heard of "co-working places" before. Around here, if one wants to go out and also work, it's Starbucks or Panera Bread. We don't have anything like that here in Cleveland.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

Home | Oakland

That looks like a scary place filled with scary people with scary names offering scary services! It also looks like an archetypical Mac-land!

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I have heard that law students from all over are all in on the Surface Pro.
Wouldn't surprise me. I've also seen some engineering, science, commerce and economics students with Pros (i.e. people who deal with both quantitative and qualitative information in one go).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750