Honestly, a bit ticked off with Microsoft's Advanced Exchange warranty service

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would like to start out by saying that I love my Surface to death, but recently the volume up button stopped working. No biggie, it's under warranty. So I went to Microsoft's customer service site last week and they have two types of service orders (both free):

They have a standard one where you send in the Surface and they send a replacement back. Then there was the Advanced Exchange where they send you a replacement and then you send your broken device back in the same box. I chose that because I thought it was awesome that I wouldn't have to miss a beat and go without my beloved Surface.

The replacement device arrived yesterday. I took it out of the package and was instantly ticked off. The whole device had scuffs, scratches, and dings all over it!

So immediately I contacted customer service again and used the online chat option and told the guy what the situation was. Honestly...this device was in rough shape! There were two big marks on the door; one went straight down and the other through the Microsoft logo. Then the entire left side of the door had dings and scratches everywhere. Plus, underneath the door there were a couple big scuff marks from God knows what. Those were the major problems.

I straight out told the guy that this was insulting. I found it particularly insulting since my Surface could literally pass as a brand new device and yet they're sending me this very used device.

I send the guy some emails with 10 pictures (I have one attached just as a sample) and luckily he was understanding. He escalated the situation and they're going to send me another replacement as soon as I send the current replacement back. I just hope they could send me a refurbished (or maybe new ;)) Surface because that was completely unacceptable if you ask me.

Just letting everyone know. Not sure if this is known to happen or if this device just slipped through. Has anyone else filed a service order with Microsoft about their Surface?

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

Attachments

• IMG_20140204_163304.jpg
    IMG_20140204_163304.jpg
    846.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
This is great information, thank you for sharing. Like you, I have a pristine Surface Pro and have the warranty. If they did that to me I would be as ticked as you were.

Thankfully this machine has been the least difficult, most reliable and best computer/tablet I have ever owned. Should anything go wrong with mine I will be sure to let the CSR know to send me the replacement, replacement first to avoid any undo backing and forthing for all involved.

Good luck with the 2nd replacement.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
So what was sent was to replace your unit and not a loan device? As I could see if a loaner was scuffed and all, but a full replacement should be in flawless condition.

I hope this is just a one time thing. Good luck !!!! I hope they fix this up for you !!!!!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So what was sent was to replace your unit and not a loan device? As I could see if a loaner was scuffed and all, but a full replacement should be in flawless condition.

I hope this is just a one time thing. Good luck !!!! I hope they fix this up for you !!!!!

Yes this was my replacement, not a loaner. I agree, a replacement should be flawless, refurbished device. I hope they get it right the second time around!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a little update here: today I got a call from someone at Surface customer care with a guy apologizing for the incident. He is working personally on my case and contacted the service center and let them know all about it. When they receive the replacement device that I sent back, he will call me and we will set up another replacement. Glad to see Microsoft is taking good care of the situation!

Dex Da Rex

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I am on my third call. Second call someone hung up on me and now on third call and was put on hold for 5-10 minutes and lady picked up the phone asking if I needed help. I would just like to call a number that I could speak to someone that can understand me more (English).

I ordered the bundle with Xbox Music bundled with Lumia phone and they said there was an internal problem. So they charged my card 2 days ago but saying they cannot send me what I have ordered and will issue a refund. So if I don't have enough money I could miss out on the opportunity. I am such a loyal customer (Windows Phone, Xbox, Surface Pro 2) and its sad they said they cant do anything for me.

UPDATE: Woo! After a 30 minute phone call (25 minute speaking with 2 different people with a long wait in between) I was able to get a supervisor and he said they were going to give me a compensation for the trouble. So hopefully its not just a refund and I miss out on the bundle.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I don't know where to go to about customer support and the phones and saw your reply on another thread saying you posted it about it here.

Dex Da Rex

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
They seemed like they didn't want to help me at all, so it was annoying. Especially trying to get a hold of a supervisor but I got an email saying they are working on it. Its just hard to understand how they are working on giving me a refund instead of just sending me what I ordered.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They seemed like they didn't want to help me at all, so it was annoying. Especially trying to get a hold of a supervisor but I got an email saying they are working on it. Its just hard to understand how they are working on giving me a refund instead of just sending me what I ordered.

For me it felt the opposite. At least they were trying hard to take care of me and the situation. Too bad that wasn't the case for you.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
When MS messes up. You can be sure that they'll compensate generously.

really? I have found them pretty poor. Not doubting you, but they have been rubbish with me. I got an Xbox One, day one, the thing was broken. I sent my pristine, 4 day old one back, within a week they sent me something they claims was "a new one". I arrived and it looked like someone had been ice skating on the top of it. I had to send them pics. They acknowledged the issue and offered me the same advanced exchange or the other method. I have to say, to be on box number 3, drives me potty. They offered me 3 months of live. Which I think is pretty paltry.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I received 150$ gift card to the MS Store + extra year warranty on my Surface after botching my exchange. The trick is not to be an arsehole whenever they screw up. My attitude when something goes wrong "**** happens...move on."

Another generous time not related to exchanges: The online MS store failed to ship my preordered Lumia 1020 at release. I didn't even talk to customer service about it...I simply cancelled my order and received 150$ gift code a day later in my email... which I used to put down on an Xbox One.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't an arse about it.... Too nice to them in my opinion. I thought offering me 3 months live was a little bit cheeky.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
What were you expecting?

well when the first one went back, they sent me a 3 month Live code back. I also was given Zoo Tycoon. To have to send the second one back is just a bit pathetic. They were clearly trying to fib me off with a refurb. To send one back, I can cope, to have to do that twice just means that they are sloppy.

M Coffey

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
As a person who has worked MANY years with several OEM's, let me explain how it works.

First of all, your device should NOT have arrived like it was. There was no excuse for that and I am not defending them on any level.

Warranty items are nearly ALWAYS replaced with refurbished items. First, you have to understand what constitutes something that is refurbished. Did you know
that if an OEM mails you a device and you don't even open it and send it back still sealed it can no longer be sold as new? It HAS to be resold and handled as a refurbished item.
Other times, quality assurance people will pull a fully finished product off the line, either right after its boxed or right before its box, and test it. That item (as long as it works
properly) is also labeled as refurbished. How about the person that lies about the return or maybe thinks its a hardware problem but it's not? This gives the OEM a HUGE
inventory of refurbished items. They try to sell some of them but the bulk go to replace items under warranty.

Remember, you already opened your item. It's used. So, they are sending you back another opened item. NOW. Refurbished items are TESTED before they are sent out.
Or at least they are supposed to be. Still unsure how you got a scratched up device. BUT,you might get another new one in the mail that for some reason does not work.
They cannot test a new device. They can test refurbished devices. They test it to make sure it passes inspection and then send it along to you. It SHOULD look like new.

I have no problem with refurbished devices. Sometimes I prefer them because I know someone verified it worked before they sent it to me,

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I hear you fella, sound advice really. The one they sent me back is perfect apart from the scratches. It is so quiet. Some friends have ones that make a little sound. Not a lot, but more than mine.

Last edited:

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Warranty items are nearly ALWAYS replaced with refurbished items.
Indeed, but it sometimes pays to know your rights. Depending on where in the world you are, some consumer laws specify that in this situation the consumer is entitled to a NEW product or a refund.
A unit classified as a refurb may well be acceptable to both parties, but the consumer could well be entitled to insist on a new one. It's one of the reasons I sometimes don't mind paying a few % more at a bricks and mortar store where they'll often just exchange a faulty product for a new one off the shelf.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb