If apps being windowed on the desktop comes to fruition, will it on RT?

Snazrael

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering what everyone thinks about this. Do you want to be able to arrange your apps in windows on the desktop? Or are you happy with splitting the entire height of the screen like it does now? And what would this imply for the new "Modern" interface? The desktop would just be a place to launch and run apps, like it's always been, but now they're Windows Store apps, on RT, or everything on full 8. Has the potential to completely change the use of an RT device, completely different flow. If the leaks pan out it's very interesting how the desktop side of Windows and the "Modern" side of Windows are merging into one, more cohesive experience. I'm rather excited about it and can't wait to try it on my PC and Surface 2.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I consider this nothing more than a gimmick, as the apps are not prepared for abitrary layout within a window. It neither solves the problem, that store apps are primarily touch apps. So usability with m/k will not suddenly increase when you force them into a window. In addition touch usablility will decrease when in a window.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Microsoft has basically said that the desktop on RT was a compromise simply to be able to provide Office and additional system configuration dialogs. As soon as those things are Metro-ized, the desktop will disappear from RT. Frankly I think that's a mistake as I find the desktop functionality of the RT one of the things that really makes it stand out. Dual display mode with Metro on the LCD and desktop on the external display is pretty sweet.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Microsoft will ever get rid of the desktop from RT. It's already coded in and wouldn't be worth the effort to remove it. Microsoft will provide less reasons to use the desktop. Maybe they'll even be so bold as to remove the desktop icon. Still, I highly doubt they'll actually remove the code necessary to run the desktop.

As for windowed apps on RT, I doubt it. MS wants RT to be used primarily as a tablet. Windowed apps is primarily for mouse users who can't benefit from a touchscreen.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Microsoft will ever get rid of the desktop from RT. It's already coded in and wouldn't be worth the effort to remove it. Microsoft will provide less reasons to use the desktop. Maybe they'll even be so bold as to remove the desktop icon. Still, I highly doubt they'll actually remove the code necessary to run the desktop.

As for windowed apps on RT, I doubt it. MS wants RT to be used primarily as a tablet. Windowed apps is primarily for mouse users who can't benefit from a touchscreen.

Actually, with reference to your last sentence - I think Windowed Apps are a necessity if the multi-tasking has to be efficient - especially in the Modern UI environment. Splitting screens - as is done on the Modern UI environment today - is not enough. And, this applies as much to RT devices as it does to the non-RT devices.

While I can't claim to know what MS is thinking and what they will do, I do think (or hope) that they will include Windowing apps in Windows 9 (by the latest).

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has basically said that the desktop on RT was a compromise simply to be able to provide Office and additional system configuration dialogs. As soon as those things are Metro-ized, the desktop will disappear from RT.

Can you please provide a link to this claim? I cannot remember reading anything like that from Microsoft. Other than that i agree, that getting rid of the Desktop would be a mistake. Also Microsoft has no incentive to remove the desktop. It is just there in the code waiting to be compiled for RT.

Dual display mode with Metro on the LCD and desktop on the external display is pretty sweet.

Yup. If a have a monitor nearby i just connect my surface, plugging in a mouse and there i go. Nice feature. And as i mentioned above there really is no incentive to remove the desktop with the dowside that a feature is removed, which many people actually like.

Some people seems to have the idea, that a touch based interface could potentially replace the Desktop maintaining full functionality. I consider this an illusion. An user interface following the touch based paradigm will never be as good for productivity as a native desktop user interface with overlapping windows for keyboard/mouse control. For simple apps, possibly.
I am also convinced, that once Microsoft releases an Office version for modern UI it will offer nowhere close the functionaliy of desktop Office. Somewhat more functionality than Office for Windows Phone? Sure...but that does not mean too much if you know Office for Windows Phone. The same applies to the rumored Office for iPad.

Coincidentally, the people crying loudest to remove the desktop usually do not own a Surface. Microsoft is well advised to listen to their actual users.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Can you please provide a link to this claim? I cannot remember reading anything like that from Microsoft. Other than that i agree, that getting rid of the Desktop would be a mistake. Also Microsoft has no incentive to remove the desktop. It is just there in the code waiting to be compiled for RT.

Yup. If a have a monitor nearby i just connect my surface, plugging in a mouse and there i go. Nice feature. And as i mentioned above there really is no incentive to remove the desktop with the dowside that a feature is removed, which many people actually like.

Some people seems to have the idea, that a touch based interface could potentially replace the Desktop maintaining full functionality. I consider this an illusion. An user interface following the touch based paradigm will never be as good for productivity as a native desktop user interface with overlapping windows for keyboard/mouse control. For simple apps, possibly.
I am also convinced, that once Microsoft releases an Office version for modern UI it will offer nowhere close the functionaliy of desktop Office. Somewhat more functionality than Office for Windows Phone? Sure...but that does not mean too much if you know Office for Windows Phone. The same applies to the rumored Office for iPad.

Coincidentally, the people crying loudest to remove the desktop usually do not own a Surface. Microsoft is well advised to listen to their actual users.

I suspect that too, which would be a damn shame, if at the same time they remove Office RT from the Surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo