Considering a Surface Pro to replace my Macbook Air

Mark Valentine

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Ive been a Mac user for the last couple years. I purchased my Macbook Air during the beginning of 2012. I really love the OSX from lion to mountain lion and even to the recent mavericks. Ive fiddled around with Windows 8 and 8.1 on my Air but I just couldnt enjoy the whole OS without having the ability of having a touchscreen. Maybe thats just my take on it, but I really think the touchscreen just might be the deal breaker for me. Ive also been linked to a Microsoft account for quite a while with my email revolving around Hotmail for several years. Then being an XBGL member has my Hotmail account linked up. And lastly, my mobile device is the HTC 8X and Im quite attached to it. I guess Im kind of swaying my own opinion since nearly everyone of my accounts are linked to my Microsoft account. Maybe Im just needing some reinforcement to make me finally make the jump. Ive been looking at some last generation Surface Pros in either 64gb or 128gb with a keyboard cover between 450 to 550. Since my Air was a refurbished model, I don't think I'll mind purchasing it used as long as its in good condition and working order. The specifications from what Ive looked at are rather similar to one another. My Macbook Air is the mid 2011 release. 13 inch with the 1.7GHz intel core i5, 4GB memory, HD graphics 3000, and 128GB SSD. Im mainly using it for web browsing, some video and audio downloads, streaming video and audio as well, and also using it for school with involves using Microsoft Office. What do you guys think? Would a last generation Surface Pro with Touch keyboard be an upgrade to what Im currently using?

I should of also mentioned that internal storage size doesn't really matter. I hardly even let my Airs storage fill up. I always have it with 80GBs or more free space. Thats because I have a 500GB Seagate Slim Portable 7200rpm HD that works for both Mac and Windows with 2.0 USB and 60Mbps external data transfer rate.

Last edited:

archanfel

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same Macbook Air as you do as well as a surface pro. It really depends on how you are going to use it. If you are used to OSX and do not use onenote, it's not going to be an upgrade, especially with a touch keyboard. On the other hand, if you always wanted a tablet to complement our Macbook Air or you want to use certain Windows software, then the Surface Pro would make more sense.

Mark Valentine

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Im definitely going to be keeping my Air. Im accustomed to Mac OSX just because of the simplistic and user friendly interface. I also purchased it because Ive always had a soft spot for the Macbook Air ever since its first release. But I've been wanting to pick up a Windows 8 computer just because of the touchscreen alone. I just don't want to break my wallet on a new device just because Im finally getting in gear with college. It'll fit my current budget and it'll also be something I can wield around more comfortably. I suppose Im going to take the leap of faith and get a Surface Pro by the time March comes around as a birthday gift to myself. Id like to get the brand new generation but that would involve selling my Air with might take a little bit.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't have anything bad to say about the Macbook Air, but I have only great things to say about my Surface Pro. I recently used it as my exclusive device at home just to see if I felt limited in any way. Nope, it really does everything and the touch screen is addicting. As a WP8 user, I think you will enjoy the way the two devices work together. Regarding the two primary complaints, I don't think the weight is a big issue. I notice it when walking around but its certainly not debilitating or even uncomfortable. With respect to battery life, I think there is some concern there--especially if you get the original Surface Pro. I have yet to run out of battery for a given session, but I do try to charge it proactively at any opportunity. Good luck with your decision!

archanfel

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Im definitely going to be keeping my Air. Im accustomed to Mac OSX just because of the simplistic and user friendly interface. I also purchased it because Ive always had a soft spot for the Macbook Air ever since its first release. But I've been wanting to pick up a Windows 8 computer just because of the touchscreen alone. I just don't want to break my wallet on a new device just because Im finally getting in gear with college. It'll fit my current budget and it'll also be something I can wield around more comfortably. I suppose Im going to take the leap of faith and get a Surface Pro by the time March comes around as a birthday gift to myself. Id like to get the brand new generation but that would involve selling my Air with might take a little bit.

Unless you are concerned with the battery life (2011 Mac Air has pretty terrible battery life too), I'd say Surface Pro 2 is not worth double the price.

How are you going to use your Mac Air and Surface Pro together though? My Mac Air has been gathering dust since the beginning. My wife periodically takes it out and sighs about how beautiful it is. :)

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been on my Surface Pro since launch day. It is my daily driver for work (9+ hours a day) and my tablet for play. I do minimal gaming, but I do watch videos occasionally and listen to music on it daily.

You're going to love the touch screen and will find yourself wanting to touch the screen of other computers once you're used to using it (and you'll be frustrated as heck when you can't!). You'll also enjoy the many benefits of being on one ecosystem. Having come over from Apple myself I understand your reticence to change, but once you get used to it you will probably not use your Air much and end up selling it anyway. As stated, the battery leaves something to be desired. I make sure I'm going to have AC access when I'm going to be out for a long time because at some point you will need it.

I recommend it at the price point you're seeing. It's a fantastic machine, getting all upcoming updates and it's been the best electronics investment I've made.

Happy hunting.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Also, I recommend splurging on the Type Cover 2 for a better daily experience if you plan to use it for notes or general daily typing use. Just my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos