Well it finally happened to me. I dropped my Surface RT and cracked the screen. Now the digitizer won't work, and it overrides the mouse just enough to make the tablet unusable. Hate to say it, but I am really heart broken. I actually use this thing more than any other device in the house.

I got this as a gift from a friend after he upgraded to the Surface Pro. I took it to the Microsoft store and the tech tried to do everything that he could to replace it (he saw how devastated I was), including trying to force a pre-dated extended warranty (It's old enough to not be eligible) and replace it with a Surface 2 (he had already pulled a Surface 2 and it was sitting on the counter for me since they didn't have anymore RT's) but the system just wouldn't let him.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on how/where to get parts.

I re-read iFixit's teardown and feel confident I can tear into it. But the screen teardown section is lacking for separating the glass from the LCD display. I searched eBay and found that you can get just the glass/digitizer cheaply or the whole unit (glass/digitizer/LCD) for more money. Which way should I go?

Also, I would like a recommendation of a good reseller. eBay is so "hit-n-miss" on stuff like this, in my experience, so anyone know of a good USA supplier (I don't want to order from overseas)?
    02-15-2014 10:44 AM
    Here is an old video. He doesn't do it but talks about it. It sounds like you will need a heat gun and a bunch of guitar picks.

Last edited by calfee20; 02-15-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: forgot link
    02-15-2014 07:06 PM
    Yea, I've been bouncing around the net more and I think one has to separate the digitizer and the LCD because of the magnetic keyboard connector on the bottom.

I think it might just be easier and more cost effective to send the unit to Microsoft for repair. I found that it's a flat $200 USD to repair a cracked screen on a OOW (out of warranty) device.
    02-16-2014 11:25 AM
    You can buy a refurbished Surface RT for $200. It is easy to replace the whole LCD. For digitizer alone try etradesupply.com, they also sell complete LCD as well.
    02-16-2014 11:29 AM
    You can buy a refurbished Surface RT for $200.
    It'll be easier to just send it in. Otherwise I would go buy a refurb unit, then sell or dispose of the broken one.

Just have to save up now. I had just spent my discretionary funds the day before on some TDK A33 Bluetooth speakers (which are awesome, BTW).
    02-16-2014 02:43 PM